Zoom or Resolution?

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for a camera for my son's 16th bday. He wants to get in to photography and this will be his first camera. He's been using his phone. If I'm deciding between a couple of them, should I worry about which one has the higher zoom, resolution or megapixels?

None of the above.
First off, resolution and megapixels are the same thing.
Secondly, a 16-year-old who wants to really try photography is old enough for an interchangeable lens camera. So therefore, the zoom is irrelevant, since you can always change lenses.

Anyway, the biggest issues when choosing a camera and lens are not zoo or resolution: they are sensor size and lens aperture.

The majority of point and shoot cameras are at about the same quality level as a good smart phone camera.
I'd go with an interchangeable lens system -- either an entry level dslr like the Canon t5, Nikon D3300, Sony a58, or a mirrorless like the Samsung NX, Sony a5100, etc.

None of the above.
First off, resolution and megapixels are the same thing.
Secondly, a 16-year-old who wants to really try photography is old enough for an interchangeable lens camera. So therefore, the zoom is irrelevant, since you can always change lenses.

Anyway, the biggest issues when choosing a camera and lens are not zoo or resolution: they are sensor size and lens aperture.

The majority of point and shoot cameras are at about the same quality level as a good smart phone camera.
I'd go with an interchangeable lens system -- either an entry level dslr like the Canon t5, Nikon D3300, Sony a58, or a mirrorless like the Samsung NX, Sony a5100, etc.

I saw this post early this morning and just didn't feel like writing a book on Christmas morning. :rotfl:

Thanks. You made me realize a book wasn't necessary.

VERY nice synopsis.

He wants to get in to photography and this will be his first camera. He's been using his phone. If I'm deciding between a couple of them, should I worry about which one has the higher zoom, resolution or megapixels?

How will the images be used? Print and webpage will be fine with 2 megapixels. Any modern camera with 15 megapixel resolution is more than enough.

With regards to zoom? It's all about lenses.
However the bigger the zoom range, the worse the image quality. Fixed lenses (Primes) like a 50mm and/or 85mm is a better option when sharpness needs to be maximzed.

The main difference with a phone...
  • you get optical zoom
  • you have a brighter built-in flash
  • you have the option to add external flashes
  • sadly, it can also mean a larger bulkier camera that may be left at home because of weight, size and the wrong lenses.
Look at his phone images... do you like the composition? If so, then get the DSLR. If needs more time to learn composition, then wait until he masters this first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTh9K0kUDo

In a few years as his skills and abilities develop, he can get a more expensive model for more megapixels (like today D810 for 36.7mp)!

I'm looking for a camera for my son's 16th bday. He wants to get in to photography and this will be his first camera. He's been using his phone. If I'm deciding between a couple of them, should I worry about which one has the higher zoom, resolution or megapixels?

What kind of budget are you working with? That's a huge factor in which way to go. Then I'd consider what your son likes to photograph? The camera is a tool and finding the one best suited to his needs is always a good thing. In the same vein, having one that is ill suited to those needs can make photography very frustrating. Has your son mentioned wanting a camera? What kind has he talked about?

My 15 year old loves shooting. She has access to everything from film cameras to point and shoots to professional DSLR's. I taught her to shoot with an all manual 35mm SLR. She prefers a super zoom point and shoot when she wants something beyond her iPad and hardly touches the DSLR's, using one only on rare occasions in extremely low light. Now her point and shoot is a very capable camera, but it's still a point and shoot.

You're going to find many who will say that your son should have an interchangeable lens camera. Not that DSLRs or mirrorless cameras don't have things that make them really nice to work with, but an interchangeable lens camera is not necessary simply for your son to expand his photography skills or experience.

So take all of this advice your reading with a grain of salt. Sort through it, consider what you and your son want, then find the right camera for you. dpreview.com is a good resource for research.

I also think that budget is a huge consideration here, there's a vast difference with what you can get for $100 and $1000. But my simple advice would be go for the largest sensor size you can buy for the money. If you go to a regular store they rarely state the size of the sensor, they will tell you the Megapixel size not the sensor size. You might want to do some research on the internet. For example I have a Samsung NX1100 mirrorless camera, I researched lots of cameras before I bought that one. But that costs over $300 with one lens so if your son has a budget of $150 say there's not much point me recommending it.

Also it also depends on what kind of photography he wants to take. I have a Nikon Point and shoot which is great for general shots and if I'm too lazy to carry around my rather heavy gear, it just slips in my pocket. BUT try and take a photo in a basket ball arena or indoors at WDW then forget it - it's rubbish in low light. Then you need as a wise photographer told me once "some glass lad." Meaning a lens with a wide opening to collect lots of light.

So good luck with your choice. One thing to remember photography is about finding the image you want to capture and that's done mainly in your head. The best photographers in the last century were people who could see photographs they didn't have the equipment even the regular Joe has today but they took some stunning photographs.

If he has a talent for photography it will show through no matter what you buy him.

Have fun watching him grow as a photographer.

Cheers Larry.

I tried copying a picture of the camera but I couldn't get it to paste on here. Anyway, this is what I had in mind, General Imaging X600-WH 14MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD Screen by GE.

Even though he says he wants one of the fancy cameras that go for about $700, I think he should start out with something less expensive to make sure he sticks with this.

My budget is $150, I know this won't get me a great camera but hopefully at least a starter one.

Thanks for everyone's input and advice.

That looks a fun camera to me. It's what we call a bridge camera, this means that it has more features than a point and shoot but it doesn't have interchangeable lenses. It does have a lens which has moderate wide angle and a long telephoto. The thing that appeals to me is that it has a full CMOS sensor, which is great for this price range. That's more important than the number of MPs, but 14 is good anyway. It's good value for money because it's not a Canon or Nikon, you pay for the name with them. I use Samsung for my main photography and it's not fashionable but I get big bang for my buck with them. So I think that your choice would make a great starter camera. Like you say there is no point in paying $700 if it might get put aside after a few months.

I think you are on the right track. And I would be happy to have this camera in my pocket. Having said that I miss my plastic 126 Kodak from 1972, which was my first camera, I'd love to have that back if I could.

Cheers Larry.

I tried copying a picture of the camera but I couldn't get it to paste on here. Anyway, this is what I had in mind, General Imaging X600-WH 14MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD Screen by GE.

Even though he says he wants one of the fancy cameras that go for about $700, I think he should start out with something less expensive to make sure he sticks with this.

My budget is $150, I know this won't get me a great camera but hopefully at least a starter one.

You can get a lot of camera for $150 if you shop around. Some will tell you that they're all the same at that price point, but it's not true. There are some point and shoots in that price range that stand out and have features that make them better than a smartphone.

I'd look for a camera that has the ability to set aperture, shutter speed and ISO manually. Fuji has one in that price range that I know of and I'm sure most of the other manufacturers do as well.

Due respect but GE? Camera? SERIOUSLY?

You guys are endorsing this? Wow. Sorry. That's all I've got.

The way I see it there is a difference between coming out and telling someone they're daft for a camera choice and subtly pointing them to another brand. One is abrasive, rude and tends to start flame wars. The other is a little nicer. Neither endorse the original camera choice.

Brand is irrelevant. Though that particular camera doesn't seem like the best choice if someone wants to learn photography. It's basically smart phone quality plus zoom, without the better smart phone features.
As photo chick said, I'd look for a camera that allows manual shooting, including aperture adjustment. I'd add to the list, also the ability to shoot raw.

Otherwise, he may very very quickly outgrow the camera.

If he wants to learn how to use a camera and go beyond the phone... the GE bridge will work.

If he plans to be taking any camera course about photography... No.... you need a DSLR like the D3%00 as a minimum.

Brand is irrelevant. Though that particular camera doesn't seem like the best choice if someone wants to learn photography. It's basically smart phone quality plus zoom, without the better smart phone features.
As photo chick said, I'd look for a camera that allows manual shooting, including aperture adjustment. I'd add to the list, also the ability to shoot raw.

Otherwise, he may very very quickly outgrow the camera.

I'll give you most of that post, but I won't give you that part. Sorry. If I want a jet engine for my plane or a refrigerator for my kitchen, maybe we can talk, but everybody makes a camera imported from China these days. I'm just not buying into the fact that starting out on some off-brand knock-off super zoom is a good idea.

The kid wants to learn photography. Something like a used T2i off eBay is what he needs (or the equivalent). If budget is the limiting factor, it's time to rethink growing the budget just a little or axing the project until the budget can be adjusted. A good used T2i (for example) isn't that far off budget to begin with.

Get the kid something he can actually learn photography with and depend on. That's all I'm saying.

Considering the budget, I'd look for something like a used Panasonic lx5 or Canon S90/100.
Larger sensors, faster lenses, full manual modes, raw support. The tools one needs to learn about photography.

If he wants to learn how to use a camera and go beyond the phone... the GE bridge will work.

If he plans to be taking any camera course about photography... No.... you need a DSLR like the D3%00 as a minimum.

Not necessarily true.So much depends on what class you're taking where. And even then there is a whole lot of variation in what might be required. If it's a college photo I course in a traditional photo program you'd probably want a 35mm SLR. A college commercial program might want a high end DSLR. If it's a photo course at your local community college an advanced point and shoot might serve you just fine. If it's a high school photo class a lot of times they just want whatever camera you have because they know students don't have access to high end cameras.

Only you can gauge your son's interest so only you can be the judge of how much to spend. In the last year or so, I upgraded my now 13 year old granddaughter to a dslr. She had been shooting with a p & s and playing with one of my dslr's. I decided to go the dslr route because I knew she would stick to it and want to learn. I, therefore, bought her a model that had just recently been discontinued in my manufacturers line, however it was still a very capable camera with plenty of room for knowledge growth. With the way technology is constantly changing, I felt she would eventually outgrow the camera and therefore I didn't want to expend $1,000 on a camera while she was learning. Here is an example of what she has. This "kit" has what is called the "light" versions of the more expensive consumer kit lenses. Optically they are the same as their more expensive brethren.

https://www.keh.com/363395/pentax-k...00mm-f-4-5-6-da-al-49-digital-camera-16-3-m-p

In addition, I would also give this book. It is "understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is one of the best books for beginners which explains the basics of photography.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...834013&sr=1-1&keywords=understanding+exposure

This is only an example of one brand that I would look at. Since I shoot this brand, I feel confident I can speak to its merits. I'm sure the other manufacturers have similar setups. The KEH website is, in my opinion, the best place to purchase used or refurbed camera equipment.

I understand that what I'm showing is over your $150 budget, however if you feel confident your son has a high interest, then something like this is what I would recommend. Giving him a limited capable camera is only going to frustrate and destroy his interest. You will have to be the judge. Good luck and if I can be of any further assistance in explaining my manufacturer, just send me a private message.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've been taking notes, writing down website suggestions and camera recommendations. I really have to stick to my $150 budget. If he does take any kind of class it will be a high school class. He's never had a camera before and even though he would like one of the nice $500-$700 cameras (hell so would I and I'm the one who takes all the pictures in the family), I want to make sure this isn't just a faze he's going thru. I'll keep looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter