zip straps?

CourtneyMc

Mouseketeer
Ok, here's a dumb question. I'm reading over my packing list and it says 'zip straps for luggage put out the night before'.

Is a zip strap just those little plastic loops that you pull tight and can't loosen without cutting them off? Does customs then cut them off for inspection? Or do I need to bring scissors to cut them off before I clear customs? and, is it really that big of an issue- if anyone really wanted to get into my bags all they need is scissors, why not use regular luggage locks?

thanks!

Courtney

I think that this suggestion came out before there were TSA approved locks. You can lock your luggage, as long as the lock has a TSA approval logo on it. This means that customs will also have a key for the lock if they need to inspect inside. I travel for business and have used these locks both internationally and domestically and never had an issue with customs or TSA. And, I have found their little inspection note in my bags several times! ;)

There would be no reason for them for just setting the bags out the night before disembarkation since you can use the locks built into your suitcase then. You have to present yourself and your bags to customs and immigration the next morning, so you can unlock the bag then.

After reading this thread, I would like a little clarification from my fellow DISers:

tvguy says that we can bring any old lock for when we set out our luggage...just want to make sure this is o.k....I could buy TSA approved locks...

what I don't want happening, which is what they were doing if you incorrectly locked your bags at 911 (at airport checkpoints) is break your zippers, etc.

what have recent cruisers/ who also flew done?? I guess TSA locks would be good b/c you can use them for flying too

I just got new luggage and don't want some customs official or airport security guy breaking it b/c I did it wrong

But, I also don't feel comfortable leaving unlocked luggage outside our cabin

Thanks

Plastic zip ties worked great for us flying and cruising! TSA can get in them if they want to, but it's more to keep others out. I pulled them so tight on my last trip though that I had a tough time getting them off with my small nail clippers. Next time I'll take the small scissors!

suz72 said:
After reading this thread, I would like a little clarification from my fellow DISers:

tvguy says that we can bring any old lock for when we set out our luggage...just want to make sure this is o.k....I could buy TSA approved locks...

what I don't want happening, which is what they were doing if you incorrectly locked your bags at 911 (at airport checkpoints) is break your zippers, etc.

what have recent cruisers/ who also flew done?? I guess TSA locks would be good b/c you can use them for flying too

I just got new luggage and don't want some customs official or airport security guy breaking it b/c I did it wrong

But, I also don't feel comfortable leaving unlocked luggage outside our cabin

Thanks

If you use the TSA locks, you will save yourself a lot of grief. Think about packing your bags, putting the zip ties on them, and then realizing that your scissors or nail clippers are in the bag, so you can't undo the ties at customs. They will be able to undo them for you, most likely, but you will also be holding up the line. The locks are not that expensive and save you, and everyone else, a lot of headaches. :thumbsup2

TiggerKing said:
If you use the TSA locks, you will save yourself a lot of grief. Think about packing your bags, putting the zip ties on them, and then realizing that your scissors or nail clippers are in the bag, so you can't undo the ties at customs. They will be able to undo them for you, most likely, but you will also be holding up the line. The locks are not that expensive and save you, and everyone else, a lot of headaches. :thumbsup2

We also pack a clipper or scissors in an unlocked part of the luggage to easily get to. (we have a lot of zip pouches on our luggage)

There are zip ties that you can reuse. The release is a very small tab on the lock part of the tie you will one see it if you are really looking for it. I use them on my trailer to keep the tie down neat. I have reused some of them 20 or 30 times.

We always use lime green zip ties with great success. We leave the loop just open enough we can get in with a nail clippers (which I carry in my purse or carryon). The color helps us spot our black luggage (which also has lime green handle covers on it) and also helps us see if anyone went in to our luggage.

The new TSA locks sound great but we've had such success with our zip ties I think we'll keep using them at least for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter