Zika Virus - Thoughts?

The trouble with a situation like this, I suppose, is that more is unknown than is known about the whole thing because it is so early. The media certainly don't help things because you never know whether or not to trust the information they are giving or if they are blowing things out of proportion.

I had the same thought. I'd have thought that by the third trimester the baby is mostly developed?
But then. The issue is the skull not developing enough and causes there to be brain damage due to lack of room?
I'm clearly well versed in baby development.... Lol

Right. I'm not an immunologist or virologist, but I am a neuroscientist. The brain and skull are fully formed (not fully developed as that takes place over the first years of life with myelination and synapses) before the 3rd trimester. The most neurodevelopment is done in the first trimester, which would be when the virus poses the most threat to a developing fetus.

I am confused - do you mean the biggest risk is in the first trimester? Not third, right? I'm going to Disney in April and will be 34 weeks. My doc said to go and isn't concerned at all - said so far she thinks it's over blown. I'm still watching things closely, but feel less at risk since I'll be so far along.

I had the same thought. I'd have thought that by the third trimester the baby is mostly developed?
But then. The issue is the skull not developing enough and causes there to be brain damage due to lack of room?
I'm clearly well versed in baby development.... Lol

Oh it could be the first trimester, I have no idea. I was only half listening when he explained it and thought I heard that she wasn't at risk yet but maybe he was saying she's past the risky stage. But yes the consensus is that it's overblown, akin to West Nile from a few years ago.

Oh it could be the first trimester, I have no idea. I was only half listening when he explained it and thought I heard that she wasn't at risk yet but maybe he was saying she's past the risky stage. But yes the consensus is that it's overblown, akin to West Nile from a few years ago.

Right. I'm not an immunologist or virologist, but I am a neuroscientist. The brain and skull are fully formed (not fully developed as that takes place over the first years of life with myelination and synapses) before the 3rd trimester. The most neurodevelopment is done in the first trimester, which would be when the virus poses the most threat to a developing fetus.

I'm relieved I'll be far enough along. We are spending 5 days there and I've had our dining reservations for awhile. I'd probably be more upset than my kids hahah

I do think we will skip the camp fire sing along at Ft Wilderness. There would likely be more mosquitos. Better to play it safe I suppose!

I read in a national magazine, which was quoting a medical officer from the CDC, that the virus is spread by the Aedas mosquito which bite during the day - most mosquitos bite at dusk and dawn. The article went on to say there are not "likely to be many cases in the US" for many reasons, one of which that this type of mosquito is not common here.

Insert [Zika] for [Ebola] and [ISIS].

No, I'm not worried in the least. There's always something to be scared of that usually ends up doing very little (at least in the States).

I'm curious if WDW actively "fumigated" against mosquitos/pests? The only time I've had the threat of a bite was when I was on the Wild Africa Trek and they provided repellent.

Mosquito Control on WDW property is handled primarily by RCID (see link below and scroll down to Mosquito Control section).. WDW also has its own in-house pest control agency in addition to RCID.. It seems to me that they both do a great job as I have rarely ever been bitten by mosquitoes inside WDW parks..

http://www.rcid.org/DoingBusiness/PlanningDevelopment.aspx

As a person who had West Nile Virus, and still has issues from it, I don't find it to be overblown.

As a person who had West Nile Virus, and still has issues from it, I don't find it to be overblown.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. But that's what it's been likened to by doctors in the Northeast, probably because of our chances of contracting it given our location.

Nobody likes to deal with that on their vacation. So sorry you had to deal with that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you have to deal with that. But that's what it's been likened to by doctors in the Northeast, probably because of our chances of contracting it given our location.

Probably, but I still think people need to be aware. I contracted West Nile at home (Chicago). It's not likely the Zika virus will spread around the US (unless it starts spreading through bodily fluids more readily), but I don't think it's harmful for people to be thinking of it at all. :)

I'm about 16 weeks pregnant and my OB highly discouraged travel to FL. She game me a letter to use in order to get travel refunds. I was able to refund airfare and lodging. I also got a second opinion from an old OB that moved out of state and was given the same answer "very risky, highly discouraged". We decided it wasn't worth lifelong defects for our unborn child for an 8 night trip to Disney we will probably reachedule for next spring.

I'm about 16 weeks pregnant and my OB highly discouraged travel to FL. She game me a letter to use in order to get travel refunds. I was able to refund airfare and lodging. I also got a second opinion from an old OB that moved out of state and was given the same answer "very risky, highly discouraged". We decided it wasn't worth lifelong defects for our unborn child for an 8 night trip to Disney we will probably reachedule for next spring.
Congrats on the happy news, and hope you get to make the trip with your happy and healthy son or daughter in the future - what a doubly great thing to look forward to! :)

My brother asked me about this just last week. They're thinking about WDW within the next couple of months, but my SIL is expecting and she's due in June. They live in the Miami area, where there have already been a number of confirmed cases. I'm no doctor, but living in another area with a good number of cases, my logic is that going to the supermarket or having dinner outside on a heavy mosquito night isn't any better or worse than heading to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts