Zika Virus - Thoughts?

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
So, there's been a bit of talk down here regarding the Zika virus that's currently doing the rounds of central America, the Caribbean and Mexico.

I'm curious to hear what the feel of it is over there.
Are people freaking out? Cancelling cruises and trips to those areas? Is there talk of it hitting Florida/Orlando any time soon?

I'm not usually one to get all over-sensitive about these types of things, but then, I was never planning on a trip to an area that was affected before. And if I was to get sick, fine, but this is affecting pregnant women and possibly those wishing to be pregnant in the next 2-3 years (from what we are being told down here) and I couldn't let a trip possibly affect any unborn children I may or may not have, that's beyond selfish in my eyes.

With so many Caribbean and Bahamian cruises leaving out of Port Canaveral and Miami, how long until there are confirmed cases in Florida of non-travelers.

Apparently the Mexican government has said that the only confirmed cases are of locals in remote areas.

So, like I said, I'm not usually one who gets into the hysteria around these things, just curious as to other's thoughts.

I'm still going.

The summer Olympics this year might get interesting.
I mean no disrespect Bryan, but are you planning on bearing any children any time soon? Lol.
But seriously, is it just being hyped up by the media?
I've never had a mosquito bite, and I live in Australia!! Lol

I mean no disrespect Bryan, but are you planning on bearing any children any time soon? Lol.

Well my daughter is coming and we're looking to move in march so it's in the back of my mind for her. Some articles today made it sound like they don't really know much and who knows if it might impact any future children I might want.

But seriously, is it just being hyped up by the media?

That's basically all american news does so you can't really tell from US sources.

Not of huge personal concern to me for any future trip to Florida or the Caribbean as I am now past child-bearing years. One of the better and most up to date sites for info may be the cdc (American Center for Disease Control) online site. I don't always find traditional online news sources to be as reliable as there is a temptation to report what-ifs in a tight blurb rather than the less exciting, straight-forward info. I had not personally heard of the 2-3 year planning to get pregnant warning and suspect that may be your big concern at the moment. That 2-3 year "gestation" period may still be uncertain and hopefully that is what you can find concrete information about. My instinct is that since Zika is still a developing virus, in that we aren't certain of the parameters, there is much we still do not know. Possibly your family md or local health unit (we have these in Canada - can find out what kind of immunizations we need for global travel if our family md isn't as up on it) may have some contacts or access to developing info. If I had a daughter or younger sister in your position, I'm not sure what I could tell her. Hopefully, we will have more concrete info within the next few weeks. It may be a wait and watch situation. Ideally, you are not in time crunch to actually have to book your trip yet. Fingers crossed for you, Jes, and for other women in your position. Travel shouldn't carry so much worry.

While not helpful for you, we (the public) understand in Canada (and the northern US states) it is unlikely that it can be transmitted here via mosquitos as the strain of mosquito that carries it doesn't survive here. However, we have had a handful of Cdn travellers return with the virus from travels south but that appears to be very much contained. It is incredibly fortunate for Northerners that it can't be transmitted by our mosquitos. Once you leave the urban core of our cities, mosquitos are simply a reality. Every late spring to mid summer, I am normally bitten over 100 + times. Our mosquitos are particularly hungry at dawn, dusk and after dark and very active near water (lakes, ponds, rivers) where the larvae hatch. It isn't Canada Day on July 1st without "giving blood" to masses of mosquitos while watching fireworks at the lake. We wrap our children up in blankets on top of long pants, long sleeves, etc just to give them some relief. Given the number of mosquitos we have, deet has limited effect. In fact, many Ontarians suspect that most of us have been exposed to West Nile virus over the years and have developed an immunity of sorts. Whether that is possible or not, who knows.

Jes: I just checked on the CDC website this morning and there seems to be info pertinent to you. Here's the link http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html
This info could certainly change in the future as more is known about the virus. Maybe 1) something to discuss in detail with your family md before booking and 2) monitor the cdc website and any other news source your md suggests? All the best, Sam.

I haven't heard that it could affect someone who wants to get pregnant in the next 2-3 years. That's definitely news to me. People are starting to get hyped up about it here in the States, but that is always the case with these types of things. Proper handwashing and hygiene are key. I have no concerns.

It is transmitted by Mosquitos and by transfer of, um, fluids. It is not like the flu or a cold. Washing hands will not keep it away from you. And yes, until all signs of the virus are gone, the virus can cause birth defects (shrunken baby heads).

From the CDC...

Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.

In May 2015, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) issued an alert regarding the first confirmed Zika virus infection in Brazil. The outbreak in Brazil led to reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome and pregnant women giving birth to babies with birth defects and poor pregnancy outcomes.

In areas of the US, Central, and South America where Mosquitos are prevalent, I would be take precautions. There have been numerous cases in the part of the country where I reside.

I haven't heard that it could affect someone who wants to get pregnant in the next 2-3 years. That's definitely news to me. People are starting to get hyped up about it here in the States, but that is always the case with these types of things. Proper handwashing and hygiene are key. I have no concerns.
A girlfriend from work just got back from 3 weeks in Mexico and Central America and the information she was given mentioned the 2-3 years thing.

And as Mike said, it's a blood borne virus so I'm not sure that proper hygiene would necessarily help, however, I wash my hands a lot anyway, the constant use of hand sanitizer isn't that common here, but I cringe when people walk out of the bathrooms in public places and either don't wash their hands or just run water over them... That's just asking for a warm, moist breeding ground for bacteria! Lol

I was watching the news the other day and they had someone from the New Zealand Ministry of Health on to talk about the concerns. She did say that not travelling if you plan to have children in the next 2-3 years is because they just don't know enough about it yet to know whether or not it would impact you. They know for absolutely certain that if you are pregnant it is a huge concern (to the point where NZ insurance will now pay out if you cancel a trip to one of those areas because you are pregnant) and they highly suspect that it will have an impact if you get pregnant afterwards too, they just don't know how long so the 2-3 years is them being cautious.

I'm like you though, based on that information I don't think I'd be travelling to the affected areas anytime soon. To me it just isn't worth the risk for a holiday. (If I had a more important reason than vacation to go then I might make a different choice.)

Jes: I just checked on the CDC website this morning and there seems to be info pertinent to you. Here's the link http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html
This info could certainly change in the future as more is known about the virus. Maybe 1) something to discuss in detail with your family md before booking and 2) monitor the cdc website and any other news source your md suggests? All the best, Sam.

That is slightly different to what I heard, but it is probably also more up to date since my information is a week old at this point. Good to know they no longer seem to suspect that it could impact future pregnancies.

I'm curious if WDW actively "fumigated" against mosquitos/pests? The only time I've had the threat of a bite was when I was on the Wild Africa Trek and they provided repellent.

I was watching the news the other day and they had someone from the New Zealand Ministry of Health on to talk about the concerns. She did say that not travelling if you plan to have children in the next 2-3 years is because they just don't know enough about it yet to know whether or not it would impact you. They know for absolutely certain that if you are pregnant it is a huge concern (to the point where NZ insurance will now pay out if you cancel a trip to one of those areas because you are pregnant) and they highly suspect that it will have an impact if you get pregnant afterwards too, they just don't know how long so the 2-3 years is them being cautious.

I'm like you though, based on that information I don't think I'd be travelling to the affected areas anytime soon. To me it just isn't worth the risk for a holiday. (If I had a more important reason than vacation to go then I might make a different choice.)
I think it's safe to say a Mexico or Caribbean add on is now off the cards, disappointing as it is. However, I wonder how long until the mozzies in Florida pick it up (as opposed to just people bringing it back)
They're so prevalent in hot and humid areas.

And as Mike said, it's a blood borne virus so I'm not sure that proper hygiene would necessarily help, however, I wash my hands a lot anyway, the constant use of hand sanitizer isn't that common here, but I cringe when people walk out of the bathrooms in public places and either don't wash their hands or just run water over them... That's just asking for a warm, moist breeding ground for bacteria! Lol

I haven't been following the news about it religiously, but remember reading the other night that they believe it can be transmitted through saliva, bodily fluids, urine, etc.

Maybe I'll just walk around WDW in a bubble. ;)

I haven't been following the news about it religiously, but remember reading the other night that they believe it can be transmitted through saliva, bodily fluids, urine, etc.

Maybe I'll just walk around WDW in a bubble. ;)
True! I hadn't thought of regular bodily fluids. I'd heard it could be transmitted via other bodily fluids, but of course snot and saliva would count also.

Haha, well like I said, ordinarily, I'm not the "boy in a bubble" type. I'd never get caught up in the hype, but for someone who hasn't really ever wanted kids, and someone who has medical conditions that could cause difficulties in conceiving, but am now considering kids, the last thing I want is to fall pregnant (whether difficult or not, it's really unknown at this stage until I actually start trying) and have the child have birth defects. I realize those things can just happen, however, if I can prevent additional risk, I'll definitely try to do so.

Like others, I suspect we have a real mix out there of very educated guesses based on what evidence is available (CDC) and some fear. Hopefully, everyone will have more information in the next 2 months or so as the CDC & other agencies get a better handle on it. Ideally, if you don't have to book an $ vacation in the near future & can wait and see what information unfolds, the better. ps I was talking with my brother this afternoon and he reminded me that most large Mexican all-inclusives (think the Mayan Riviera), spray the heck out of their properties to keep mosquitos down. He has traveled to at least 20+ properties in the Mayan Riviera & Jamaica over the past 15 yrs and told me he sees grounds keepers out spraying on every vacation. I suppose this cuts both ways. Mosquitos are a reality for at least part of the year in parts of Mexico & the Caribbean. However, the resorts know it and are controlling it the best they can. Tourism is not an industry that these countries can afford to lose. On cruises (and I've only been on one), mosquitos are really only an issue on excursions. So smart choices re excursions could go a long way to reducing risk.

A co-worker and his wife just left today for a cruise to the Caribbean. She is about 5 months pregnant. From their research and speaking with their doctor, it poses the biggest risk to women in their third trimester, which is also about when women can no longer cruise. It's still not a risk I would take if I were them, but they are going armed with mosquito repellent necklaces, bracelets, bug spray, etc etc.

A co-worker and his wife just left today for a cruise to the Caribbean. She is about 5 months pregnant. From their research and speaking with their doctor, it poses the biggest risk to women in their third trimester, which is also about when women can no longer cruise. It's still not a risk I would take if I were them, but they are going armed with mosquito repellent necklaces, bracelets, bug spray, etc etc.
Yeah I tend to agree with you, I'm not sure I'd be taking that risk regardless if I was already pregnant.

I am confused - do you mean the biggest risk is in the first trimester? Not third, right? I'm going to Disney in April and will be 34 weeks. My doc said to go and isn't concerned at all - said so far she thinks it's over blown. I'm still watching things closely, but feel less at risk since I'll be so far along.

I am confused - do you mean the biggest risk is in the first trimester? Not third, right? I'm going to Disney in April and will be 34 weeks. My doc said to go and isn't concerned at all - said so far she thinks it's over blown. I'm still watching things closely, but feel less at risk since I'll be so far along.
I had the same thought. I'd have thought that by the third trimester the baby is mostly developed?
But then. The issue is the skull not developing enough and causes there to be brain damage due to lack of room?
I'm clearly well versed in baby development.... Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!