Zero to Dopey 2020 in 13-months

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
With my challenge entry last night, I am officially going attempt a Zero to Dopey journey in 13-months.

To clarify, ‘zero’ refers to the mileage under my running shoes. I like to think I have a good fitness baseline and a decent chance at accomplishing this.

I’ll document my progress here in case it inspires (or dissuades) someone else to do something this (stupid) ambitious.

Time Line:

November 2018 and earlier:
- I ran zero kilometers… because I don’t enjoy running.

December 2018:
- My friend entered me in a New Year’s Eve 5k “Resolution Run.” I agreed because it came with a sweet jacket.
- I did two short runs to prepare and somehow managed to get ‘runner’s knee’ in that very short period of time.

January 2019:
- I saw a sports physiotherapist for my knee. Why?
We entered the RunDisney 10k simply because it coincided with our scheduled Disney vacation. With the help of a knee strap, a careful stride and lots of character photo rest stops, I finished the 10k comfortably.
- The RunDisney experience won me over. I had no interest in running around my neighborhood but jogging through Disney World was something special.
- And so began my dangerous internal dialogue. “Since I finished the 10k, I should try for the half-marathon next year.” “Yeah, but with a year to prepare, the half should be no problem. You should push for the full marathon.” “Yeah but, if I want to push myself, I should really aim for The Dopey.”

February/March 2019:
- More physiotherapy to strengthen the knee. A vicious cold kept me from any worthwhile training. I ran maybe a total of 10km on the gym treadmill.

April 2019:
- I entered the RunDisney Star Wars Half Marathon as a barometer to determine if I should scrap the Dopey Challenge idea. Although I finished, 15km hit me and I had to walk/run the last 7km.
- It was a good lesson to illustrate that I can't just 'show up' to a marathon, let alone the Dopey. After a week of deliberation and reviewing the official RunDisney 29-week Dopey training program, I decided to go all in.

Next milestone will be the Two-Course RunDisney challenge at November’s Wine & Dine Festival. This should let me know if I am on target for January 2020.

Any one else here starting from scratch?

A year early than you my husband mentioned Dopey to me as an enticement to get back to walking and lose weight. I had done 2 course Disney challenges in the past, but with no Disneyland races had found all sorts of excuses not to. So a very overweight late 50 year old started back to walking. Went to Marathon Weekend and the first 3 races went great (I’m not fast, but am steady ) then I ended up very ill with sinuses and bronchitis and fever for the marathon. Even then I made it to mile 20 before the illness and heat stopped me.

So, after all my rambling, you should be able to do it as long as you don’t keep injuring yourself. I think you have a good base since you are in shape, are seeing a therapist, and have the desire.

I’m back to training for Dopey 2020 which I’m hoping to finish. I was so close. So I’m trying to get my speed up a little so I don’t have to worry as much about being swept and get weight off so that everything works better. We can do this.

Any one else here starting from scratch?

doesnt really sound like you’re starting from scratch at this point. :)

After a week of deliberation and reviewing the official RunDisney 29-week Dopey training program, I decided to go all in.

Next milestone will be the Two-Course RunDisney challenge at November’s Wine & Dine Festival. This should let me know if I am on target for January 2020.

I think that following the training plan will let you know that you’re on track more than doing the two course. Is that challenge too early in your training program for a half, or does it fit in?

I’m not saying don’t do it, just that following the training is more important imo than extra roadblocks/milestones we throw in front of ourselves.

doesnt really sound like you’re starting from scratch at this point. :)

The zero or ‘starting from scratch’ point would have been December 2018. That’s when I started running in any capacity and calculated the 13-months. But you’re right, with this post I have a couple of Disney miles under my shoes.

I will want the Two Course to stay motivated (also way more fun than running around my home town).

I’m back to training for Dopey 2020 which I’m hoping to finish. I was so close. So I’m trying to get my speed up a little so I don’t have to worry as much about being swept and get weight off so that everything works better. We can do this.

I look forward to seeing you at the finish collecting your well deserved Dopey medal!!!

I look forward to seeing you at the finish collecting your well deserved Dopey medal!!!

Thanks.

Just remember to get yourself a training plan that will work for you and not to push too fast and get re-injured. I’m looking forward to you having the fun I had (without the illness) this year. Even not completing Dopey I had such a good time at Marathon Weekend and am looking forward to it for next year. At least I’m not as terrified of the 4 race challenge with a marathon (a distance I’d never even considered before) at the end. With that in mind I am enjoying my walk/runs and keep realizing how great it is to be able to walk/run especially with the Dopey as my reward.

Sounds like you will be more than ready to collect your 6 medals.

I’ve looked at the official training plan and I’m not a fan of the fact that it has you run the 26 miles during the training.

See you there!

Amazing!
I decided to get back into running September 2018. I ran my first 5km and although I ran the full 5km it was a rough run. I vowed to continue running and aim for a runDisney race (bucket list item) I ran the rival run in April and loved every minute. The 10km and half went better than my 5km. My goal now is to do Dopey in 2020.

I ran the rival run in April and loved every minute. The 10km and half went better than my 5km. My goal now is to do Dopey in 2020.

Sounds like you’re on the same journey as myself except you’ve got an extra 10 Disney km under your shoes. Nice work!

If enough people take this on, we could start a “Zero To Dopey” meetup on event day.

Be sure to build in cross training to your plans. Many people develop overuse injuries (from training) in December than can threaten your Dopey Races in Jan.
I started Dopey with a trainer but had to drop out due to $$- thus ended up with overuse injury and spending $$$$$ in December to complete Dopey. Make use of the trainer you had in Feb/March. Train smart and you will have a blast!
Run Disney is VERY addicting!

You might look for a local 10 miler to use for a proof-of-time (POT) race due in early October.

I’ll post the Official Dopey Training Guide here for anyone who may be curious about preparing for the Dopey.

I’ll be the first to say I won’t adhere to this precisely. I lack the discipline and I still do things besides running. However, this training guide gave me the confidence to see Zero To Dopey is not an impossibility. Hopefully it inspires you too.

The Dopey guide says for "Experienced Runners" but I think that is being cautious. Why do I say that?

There are 45-minute "Maintenance Runs" on Tuesdays/Thursdays, and 3-mile (5k) target runs on most Saturdays. I believe "experienced runners" would go further than 5km in 45-minutes. If so, that makes the "Maintenance Run" harder than the targeted training runs.

So, I think you can take this on if you could push yourself (however slowly) through a 5k now, plus handle a brisk 45-minute walk twice a week. The program gets harder along the way, but it comes in steps.

https://cdn3.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...s/runDisney-Dopey-Challenge-Training-Plan.pdf

And other Official RunDisney Training Guides here:
https://www.rundisney.com/running-training-programs/

Be sure to build in cross training to your plans. Many people develop overuse injuries (from training) in December that can threaten your Dopey Races in Jan.

The RunDisney training guide does not seem to endorse or discourage cross training. If you're like me, cross training is important just to keep from getting bored. However, "overuse injuries" may be from over-doing it in general than a lack of variety.

For example, doing sit-ups won't prevent a running "overuse injury" unless it keeps you occupied on a day you'd otherwise be determined to run (and risking injury). The Dopey training guide keeps you active at least 3-days a week. Trying to force cross training between three running days may result in over-training.

I dunno... does that make sense?

From the guide:
"It is fine to do cross training on Mon, Wed, and Fri. if you wish. There will be little benefit to your running in doing this, but you’ll improve overall fitness. On the cross training days, don’t do exercises like stair machines that concentrate effort in the calf muscle."

First of all, best of luck to you during your quest to finish Dopey. I finished the my first marathon as part of Dopey this past January. I'm not very fast at all, but it was a very challenging and truthfully enjoyable experience. I entered the marathon trying not to view it as a one and done for me as I did not want to create a mental barrier for myself by making Dopey a once in a lifetime opportunity even though I knew it could be just that.

Dopey training as part of first marathon training taught me quite a bit, which I share here in the hopes that it will help others. Long story short, I had been making a lot of mistakes during training for half marathons over the years that would have cost me dearly in the marathon had I continued to make them. Fortunately for me, I managed to make those mistakes in training so I could correct them. For perspective, I ran 9 half marathons with 5 of them coming as part of runDisney multi race weekend challenges. I ran a 10th half marathon in the hopes of corral placement for the marathon. That 10th race was a complete disaster in terms of corral placement, but also taught me so much that helped ensure the marathon would be a tremendous experience.

In my opinion, I believe that a runner should have at least 2 half marathons under their belt before tackling the marathon. I feel this way because following a training plan perfectly, which never happens anyways, still does not prepare you fully for race day. Just know that the marathon will present new challenges you've never faced in running before. So the more race experience you can obtain before Dopey 2020, the better. My last half (not counting the WDW Half) before Dopey was my most difficult race. It was also the race that truly began to expose my training issues that needed correction before Dopey.

You may feel otherwise, and someone else may indeed tell you otherwise, but I would try to fit in a half marathon in August/early September if weather/time/et all cooperate just to have two half marathons including Wine & Dine under your belt before Dopey. In my case specifically, it took me 9 half marathons and running consistently more or less for 4 years before I decided I wanted to attempt the marathon.

I think this is an excellent idea. Knowing what racing on consecutive days feels like before Dopey will help. While everyone has a different path to finishing the marathon, the more successful experience you obtain in races the better on the day of the marathon. Because while there are a lot of different paths to finishing the marathon, they all involve lots and lots and lots of running.

So, after all my rambling, you should be able to do it as long as you don’t keep injuring yourself. I think you have a good base since you are in shape, are seeing a therapist, and have the desire.
I really love the use of the word desire here. Signing up is actually kind of fun. It feels really exciting, but it takes training, sacrifice, and hard work to make the dream happen. And that's where the desire comes in. Desire to train must be stronger than a lot of other things.

I will want the Two Course to stay motivated (also way more fun than running around my home town).
Disney races make for wonderful carrots on the proverbial stick. When training gets difficult, visualize race day. Visualize yourself crossing that finish line. Visualize whatever it is that carries you through to that moment and stick with it. Sometimes training is really difficult, but all the times when I willed myself to run even though I really didn't want to came back to motivate me during the marathon. Many, many times during training, I didn't want to go running. But I told myself that I was really at mile 22 and could not quit now. When the real mile 22 came, I was exhausted, in all sorts of pain, suffering in the humidity, and would have much rather have been relaxing at my resort or goofing off in the parks. I then told myself that I only had one more training run left and this was the moment I had prepared for. About 3 hours later, I was all cleaned up, enjoying a post race lunch in the parks and off my feet with 3 shiny new medals to enjoy.

Thanks.

Just remember to get yourself a training plan that will work for you and not to push too fast and get re-injured. I’m looking forward to you having the fun I had (without the illness) this year. Even not completing Dopey I had such a good time at Marathon Weekend and am looking forward to it for next year. At least I’m not as terrified of the 4 race challenge with a marathon (a distance I’d never even considered before) at the end. With that in mind I am enjoying my walk/runs and keep realizing how great it is to be able to walk/run especially with the Dopey as my reward.
Absolutely. A great training plan makes all the difference in the world. Find one that works best for you and stick to it as best you can. You will finish Dopey 2020 and the "redemption" will feel tremendous.

For example, doing sit-ups won't prevent a running "overuse injury" unless it keeps you occupied on a day you'd otherwise be determined to run (and risking injury). The Dopey training guide keeps you active at least 3-days a week. Trying to force cross training between three running days may result in over-training.
I've heard many people define cross training in a variety of ways. Cross training can be as simple as walking on non running days. It can also mean working appropriate strength training into your fitness routine. Speaking for myself, I have much better races when I consistently incorporate light strength training into my routine in the months leading up to the race. In fact my worst races have come when I'm not diligent in strength training. Before my September 2018 Half Marathon I found all sorts of convenient excuse to slack off in the strength training area and paid dearly for those excuses in the race. But I knew I needed to correct it before the marathon and once again learned that diligent and appropriate strength training pay huge dividends for me during the race. I felt much stronger at the end of Dopey than 3 miles into my September 2018 Half Marathon.

Wow and I thought my 8 months couch to princess half was ambitious. But then again I need some extra time because I’m super prone to repetitive use injuries. I’m pretty sure if I did the dopey my legs would fall off.

I went 0 to Marathon in 12 months back in 2012/3.

I started with Couch to 5k in January and then bought a training book to keep increasing mileage. In April, I did a 10k. June was a 5k. July was a 5k and trail 15k and when I decided to sign up for the 2013 Disney marathon. August was a 7k. Then I started a Hal Higdon training program for the marathon. In October, I did half marathons on consecutive weekends. Plus a 17, 18, and 20 miler in November and December.

It was a natural progression and worked well for me (back when I was younger and childless, so I could run more).

I don't think 0 to Dopey in the same time frame would be that bad if you aren't severely out of shape. I had run one year of track in high school 10 years prior but didn't run after that, though I strength trained and did yoga every now and then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter