• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zebra Domes

They are a wonderful dessert at Boma. Boma is my favorite place to eat in all of WDW. Zebra Domes are a coffee flavored mousse/cakeish type dessert on a little chocolate flat round disk. There are chocolate stripes on top and I suppose that is why they call them "Zebra" domes (because of the stripe. They are really good and I look forward to them every trip. We go to Boma twice each trip!

clairelovesorlando said:
Hi guys what are Zebra Domes?
Thanks

They are YUMMY!

:rotfl2:
What's in them... it's a coffee flavored (espresso & Kahlua liquor) chocolate mousse that is put on a small circle of sponge cake and then glazed with which chocolate ganache and decorative dark chocolate ganache stripes.

mmmmmmmmmm

mocha (chocolate coffee) mousse covered with a hard chocolate ganache on a sponge cake disk (I thought it was a white sponge cake, but I could be wrong). A lot of people love them. I thought they were stale, and not well executed. Old mousse is gross and ours were definately several hours past their prime.

We also were offered "gently aged" Zebra Domes at Boma. They seemed a little wilted from being under the lights, maybe? We had better luck buying nice, cold Domes at Mara - the counter service place at AKL.

They are good, but we thought a little overrated (just our opinion, mind you).

I knew I had seen a recipe for them somewhere:

Zebra Dome Recipe

Oh, and I too have had some that have been out there a little too long, but we were there long enough that I waited until a fresh batch was put out. It's one of the bad things about buffets... however, if you mention something to the server, they can talk to the chefs and they are VERY accomodating there. One time I asked about fried oreos (which I heard on here that they sometimes fix for people) and the chef told me they do it on occassion... next thing I know she was bringing me a plate of them!!!

vascubaguy said:
I knew I had seen a recipe for them somewhere:

Zebra Dome Recipe

Oh, and I too have had some that have been out there a little too long, but we were there long enough that I waited until a fresh batch was put out. It's one of the bad things about buffets... however, if you mention something to the server, they can talk to the chefs and they are VERY accomodating there. One time I asked about fried oreos (which I heard on here that they sometimes fix for people) and the chef told me they do it on occassion... next thing I know she was bringing me a plate of them!!!

These weren't "under the lights too long" - these were "mousse is too old" I'm an amateur pastry chef and the only way to salvage these would have been had they been served about six hours earlier - they just made them too early in the day (we had a 5:30 dinner reservation, too). In order to stand up to the buffet, the mousse also had too much geletain in it (as a dessert snob, it shouldn't have ANY, but this was simply too much).

But, I freely admit - dessert snob, amateur pastry chef.....I pay $6 and up for a chocolate bar - so I'm not a good sample for buffet desserts.

Ours were great and I cannot stand coffee!! The great thing about buffets if you don't like them (or even if you do) you can go back and get something else.

Denise :woohoo:

I have only heard great things about these and looking soo foward to trying them in September!!

I'm not a gourmet or a dessert expert, but I too thought they were over-rated. I was looking forward to trying them after all the fuss on the boards, but I didn't like them. For what its worth, my 3 and 4 year olds loved them!! But as others said, that's the nice part about a buffet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter