Z6 or Z7?

melissalovesfigment

Earning My Ears
I apologize if this has been asked before. I would like to upgrade my D5100 to a full frame mirrorless. Has anyone gotten to use both the Z6 and Z7? I have looked at a lot of reviews comparing the specs but I am having a hard time deciding if it is worth the extra $$$ for the Z7. I mostly use my D5100 for landscape and wildlife photos as well as candid shots of my kids when we travel. I would like to be able to take better low-light photos as this is where I notice the biggest shortcomings of the D5100. Would you splurge on the Z7? Or go with the Z6 and spend the $1000 price difference on one of the lenses that is coming out soon? I want to make a good long term investment and my budget is flexible. Thanks!

Unless you’re making large prints (very very large), you’re far better off with the z6 and good lenses.

I own a Z6. You'll get a lot more mileage out of putting that money into new glass than into getting a Z7. Spend as much as you want on a camera sensor. End of the day, glass is still what gets the light to the sensor in the first place. Furthermore, given the same sensor size and same underlying sensor technology and firmware, a sensor with fewer megapixels can collect more light per pixel than one with a higher density could. Which means that, in low light situations, a Z6 will have less noise at high ISOs than a Z7 will. If low light in particular is what you want, well, if the Z6 isn't the finest Nikon low light camera, it's up there in a tie. The Z6 is really, really good at it.

Also if wildlife is part of the equation, by most accounts I've read the Z6 is going to perform better focus-wise, especially if any tracking focus will be needed for moving animals and birds flying, etc. The extra price difference spent on lenses will definitely be more useful in the long run. And since you're coming from a DSLR, one thing you will likely want to invest in are a few extra batteries. Mirrorless cameras like the Z6 & Z7 are going to eat battery faster, as the batteries are smaller capacity, and the fact that they have to constantly display on an LCD or EVF when shooting means battery life is tied to the amount of screen time used instead of the number of shots taken...at least 1 additional battery will likely be needed to get close to your shooting time of the DSLR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!