Yvonne & Eric's Castaway Cay wedding 11/9-11/16 2013

Yliang

Earning My Ears
Hello!
I've been lurking around DIS for months for my own Disney cruise wedding. I'm very thankful for all the advises and tips from so many Disney brides here on this forum. It really inspired me to start a PJ on my current plannings for my wedding.
I want to give my 2 cents to current and future Disney brides!

Where to begin? I guess from the moment where I started to plan my wedding before I was even engaged! Yes yes, I know, it sounds weird but really to us it wasn't. My fiance and I have been together for 8 years before we were engaged; 9 years now and still going strong!
So we always knew at that time that we were going to go the next step and join our lives together. We always wanted a winter wedding somewhere tropical. We thought it would be a nice escape from the harsh winter we can have in New York. We always talked about having a destination wedding for a while now and decided on a Disney cruise. Both of us are avid cruisers but never been on DCL. I always wanted too but DCL are always so much more expensive than the other cruise liners out there. I never justified spending so much on 1 DCL when I can go cruise with another liner for much less.
Anyways, since this would be a very special and memorable cruise, there was no doubt that we wanted it on DCL and on Castaway Cay.
This all started late last October 2012. I became obsessed with DCL wedding researches and DIS boards. I wanted to know the ins and outs before I even decide to make that call to ask about weddings packages. When I was finally ready to call and just inquire about some days that my then boyfriend have discussed about, I was horrified to find out that our ideal date/ week was already booked and most of the interiors were sold out. This was 13 months into when we wanted to be married. I started freaking out and calling him. Finally he said "find the next available date and book it". My jaw nearly dropped to the ground. Yes I was freaking out but I didn't actually think that he was serious about wanting to book so soon and at that have a set date. We weren't even engaged yet!
He just said, it's going to happen and I want it to happen. AH! So 13 months our we booked out cruise,7 night Western Caribbean Disney's Fantasy and our Castaway Cay wedding package. :cool1:

After that surprised ordeal, I started to send out personal emails to people and family whom I wanted to join us on our cruise. It was a short little heads up e-mail about saving and booking for our impending cruise wedding. Boy, was everyone surprised and so happy for us. Made me smiled to hear all their happy responds.

Not too long before that, Eric and I had already planned a Florida (Universal Park) trip with our close friends. It was suppose to be a mini getaway for us. But guess what... Yep.... :)
I knew it was going to be that weekend when we would be officially an engaged couple. Only because I have already found our photographer for the wedding and I have scheduled an appointment for our engagement shoot while we were in Florida for that mini vacation. Ha yes, I am doing everything backwards so far. But I was anxious! What a girl to do when I'm worried about things being booked up. I knew I wanted to hire a photographer to bring with us on the ship. More on the photographer a little later :angel:

What I didn't know or planned was how my fiance was going to propose to me. Funny thing was, I really thought that he was going to surprise while we were visiting Harry Potter at Universal. Don't know why but I thought it was fitting, haha. He and our friends had booked a dinner reservation at California Grill in Disney's Contemporary Hotel. We ate there 3 years ago and fell in love with the restaurant. I also love that dinner service is suspended while the firework show is on. I knew about the reservation and I also knew that it was booked not too long before our trip. Didn't think that would have been the special place for him to propose to me. What I also didn't know was he had already bought my ring back in August 2012. (No wonder, he had me book our cruise and wedding... tricky tricky)
From our friends account of the night: apparently through out dinner my fiance was nervous. He kept checking his watch and kept wondering when we should head out to the roof for a good spot to view the fire works. Of course I had no idea that he was nervous and I even kept telling him to just enjoy dinner because the waiters will tell us when to out to the roof. Finally the time has arrived and we all headed out 5 mins earlier to scout out a nice spot to view the show. The show started and I was just amazed at the fireworks. So happens that the show was called "A wish come true" :love:
In the middle of the show, my fiance said my name but I waved him away without looking cause I didn't want him to bother me enjoying my show :rotfl2:
But something caught my attention and I turned around. He made this lovely speech and proposed! I was so surprised and so excited. All these emotions just flooded out from me. Yes YES YES! and that was how we became an officially engaged couple :goodvibes

you can read more details on our wedding website: http :// yvonne-eric.ourwedding . com/ (no spaces)

We originally booked with Disney but decided to transfer our booking to our wonderful agent Lisa Reese from Pixie and Pirate Destinations, LLC.
Lisa is amazing and she is extremely helpful with transferring bookings for our friends and family. She also spoiled me some gifts when she was away on her DCL vacation! :hug:
Any future Disney bride that needs help with their booking and planning, you need to e-mail Lisa! From her own experience with her wedding on DCL, you can count on her for any tips.

So far I have a total of 26 guests including us on this cruise. Majority of us are flying from NY together the day of the cruise. Yes its a little risky but we're on a tight budget and we're just counting on luck that nothing bad will happen :thumbsup2

Our photographer is from Florida and she is just amazing. I looked around for a bit and spoke with a few photographers before settling with Kelly Canova, kellycanovaphotography

Kelly and I just clicked. I really consider her as a godsend and a wonderful friend. She is a sweet, wonderful, amazing person who is so much fun to hang out with. Her husband and her are the perfect team when it comes to shooting a session. They make you feel so comfortable in your own skin. Believe me, my fiance and I came into the engagement session not knowing what to expect or do/pose. Kelly just put us in ease and we ended up with beautiful pictures. I wish I could post some but since I'm still a newbie, DIS won't allow me to post links :confused3

I highly recommend her as you wedding photographer, especially if you are from the Florida area. I'm way too excited for her to take our pictures of our cruise wedding. They will all be amazingly gorgeous, I just know it lol

Hi! I'm looking forward to reading more of your plans! I was like you that I had our wedding planned before we got engaged. We are getting married on the Dream sailing Jan 19-23 and we are also using Lisa! I love her she's wonderful and so nice!

Where in NY are you from? I was born and raised on Long Island :)

Jodi

Hi Jodi!
Thanks for reading my PJ. Now I'm hoping to have enough time to dedicate myself with it lol. Been so busy with everything. I'm also bridesmaid to two of my girlfriends:eek:! But I'm noticing that its nice to have some place to just let everything out.
I'm glad to find another person who is just as amazed as I am with Lisa!
I'm originally from Brooklyn but recently moved to Queens, Little Neck.
Did your wedding pass yet or is it Jan of 2014?

Jodi,
LOL, never mind! Congrats on your up coming wedding ;)
Waiting part is the hardest...

Finding the dress actually didn't take me as long as I thought. After getting officially engaged and becoming more excited for the cruise; I started to purchase tons of wedding magazines. I look through all of them... it was to the point were I dreamt of white dresses. That was a nightmare in itself. But I did narrow it down to 1 dress. I tried on about 7 dresses including the one I liked. I had some pretty nice choices but I still came back to the original one that I had my eyes on when I first saw it in the magazine. Took me a total of... wait for it... 3 hours! Yep, I'm quick and decisive.
I ordered the dress back in Jan 2013 at RK Bridal in NYC. My first fitting is going to be this September and I can't wait. I'm starting forget what my dress really looks like. I'm not going to post pictures of myself with the dress up, only because I want it to be a complete surprise for everyone who is going. The only people who knows what I really look like in it are my trusty bridesmaids!
BUT since this is a PJ... and I'm sure you guys can keep a secret :) my dress will be Mori Lee style 1862. I hope my fiancée doesn't see this haha :rotfl:

I get to wear this dress 2 times! After our cruise wedding, we are having a huge banquet in NY in May 2014. That's the part of the wedding where I am just not that excited for. We're hosting a banquet because our parents wants us too. Who are we to refuse their request even thou we would have been happy with just the wedding cruise alone. The banquet is going to have over 350 guests :eek: Most of the guests are my parent's business associates and relatives that I never met before. I'm sure our bridal party is going to make it one heck of a party for us. They are the greatest :cloud9:
But I'm really planning 2 weddings. Crazy!

Enough stress talk... This is suppose to be about my lovely dress, hehe
I can't wait to fall in love all over again with my dress. Oh, I finally found my wedding shoes last week and they just arrived today!... they are darlings, Menbur "Strass" pump in ivory... So comfortable and soft and pretty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter