YouTube Exec Dir of Autism Speaks LA about DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharadoc

Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.
Hi. I know we're not supposed to start new threads so please put this where appropriate, but this is a VERY interesting video with the Executive Director of Autism Speaks LA that explains their involvement in the change. The main point is that Disney asked for their feedback, they gave it, and Disney ignored it. What they did approve is a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.

So, in typical corporate PR speak, what Disney is saying is that "they consulted with Autism Speaks". What they don't say is that it was only the local chapter and that they didn't listen.

http://www.youtube.com/v/n6ZEauVUXqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Makes me feel a little better about Autism Speaks not just "going along" but makes me feel worse about Disney that they are using the organization for their own purpose.

Take a look and make your own conclusion. :)

But, you also need 2 other pieces about Autism Speaks.

Autism Speaks had this status on their Facebook page on Sept. 20th (my bold):

"Status Update
By Autism Speaks
There has been some misinformation involving Disneyland's Guest Assistance Card program. Autism Speaks has been working with Disney. We'll have updates."

(I tried to post a link, but there are no links to individual Facebook posts. You can scroll down their Facebook page and find it though)
Since then there have been no updates about the Guest Assistance Card Program.

I do know that after that post, there were many negative responses from parents, asking how could Autism Speaks worked with Disney and have come up with the plan that was then in the news from MiceChat. Many said they would no longer support Autism Speaks because they wanted GACs not to end.

An article on yahoo news on Monday, September 23, quoted a spokesperson for Autism Speaks (my bold):
Disney reached out to us,” Autism Speaks spokesperson Michael Rosen told Yahoo Shine. “A large segment of our population with autism has sensory issues, so having patience to wait on noisy lines is a really hard thing.”

When Rosen has taken his own son, who has autism, to Disney World, for example, “he would start crying and screaming when we stood on a line, because he didn’t realize that in 25 minutes he would go on a ride. He had no idea why he was standing on a line, and that really takes away from the fun.”

Rosen said Autism Speaks has been urging parents concerned about the change to be patient and wait for the official release of the new policy from Disney. “We worked with them so they would make it as comfortable an experience as possible for our community,” he said.

Link to article:
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/di...abled--wait-in-line-161946185.html?nopharma=1

The video you posted had an air date of September 26.

So, on Sept. 20 and 23, Autism Speaks was saying they were involved with the changes, but all of a sudden, in the interview on Sept. 26, the Autism Speaks spokesperson being interviewed knew nothing about any changes at all and only worked on the guidebooks.
He didn't actually say that Disney ignored their comments, just that they were asked some questions, they gave their answers - basically "that won't work...that won't work....that won't work."
He didn't know what was done with the answers they have to Disney (I would maintain that saying "that won't work" , but not giving any advice or suggestions on what might work is not helpful - if someone reaches out to you for assistance, you should at least try to give some helpful input.

My personal guess - Autism Speaks did work with Disney, but did not expect the outcry in response to the article (and large numbers of people who said they were pulling support from Autism Speaks). So, (IMHO) they tried to distance themselves from any involvement at all (other than the Guidebook, which they expect to be positive).

But, you also need 2 other pieces about Autism Speaks.

Autism Speaks had this status on their Facebook page on Sept. 20th (my bold):

"Status Update
By Autism Speaks
There has been some misinformation involving Disneyland's Guest Assistance Card program. Autism Speaks has been working with Disney. We'll have updates."

(I tried to post a link, but there are no links to individual Facebook posts. You can scroll down their Facebook page and find it though)
Since their update was update was about the Guest Assistance Card a Program.

I do know that after that post, there were many negative responses from parents, asking how could Disney have come up with the plan that was then in the news from MiceChat. Many said they would no longer support Autism Speaks because they wanted GACs not to end.

An article on yahoo news on Monday, September 23, quoted a spokesperson for Autism Speaks (my bold):
“Disney reached out to us,” Autism Speaks spokesperson Michael Rosen told Yahoo Shine. “A large segment of our population with autism has sensory issues, so having patience to wait on noisy lines is a really hard thing.”

When Rosen has taken his own son, who has autism, to Disney World, for example, “he would start crying and screaming when we stood on a line, because he didn’t realize that in 25 minutes he would go on a ride. He had no idea why he was standing on a line, and that really takes away from the fun.”

Rosen said Autism Speaks has been urging parents concerned about the change to be patient and wait for the official release of the new policy from Disney. “We worked with them so they would make it as comfortable an experience as possible for our community,” he said.

Link to article:
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/di...abled--wait-in-line-161946185.html?nopharma=1

The video you posted had an air date of September 26.

So, on Sept. 20 and 23, Autism Speaks was saying they were involved with the changes, but all of a sudden, in the interview on Sept. 26, the Autism Speaks spokesperson being interviewed knew nothing about any changes at all and only worked on the guidebooks.
He didn't actually say that Disney ignored their comments, just that they were asked some questions, they gave their answers - basically "that won't work...that won't work....that won't work."
He didn't know what was done with the answers they have to Disney (I would maintain that saying "that won't work" , but not giving any advice or suggestions on what might work is not helpful - if someone reaches out to you for assistance, you should at least try to give some helpful input.

My personal guess - Autism Speaks did work with Disney, but did not expect the outcry in response to the article (and large numbers of people who said they were pulling support from Autism Speaks). So, (IMHO) they tried to distance themselves from any involvement at all (other than the Guidebook, which they expect to be positive).

Good points. I think what I took away from that is that they did not develop the program as people felt they had but reacted to Disney's program outline. Speaking for myself, that is what Autism Speaks is - a generic, one size fits all organization that was in the right place at the right time to be THE autism organization. I don't think they are interested in being anything other than generic and don't want to lose the support of Corporate America. To come out against one of the largest corporations in the world would be against their need for as much money and support as they can get from corporations. So they're trying to sound non-committal about it until it is actually in place.

Thanks for the extra info! :)

There were no further updates on the Autism Speaks Facebook page - it's completely ignored like it never happened.

Autism Speaks had a story on their website that said:
"Autism Speaks worked with the Disney team to come up with a comprehensive plan that protected our families ability to enjoy their visits to Disney parks.

The goal was for our autism families to be provided with every opportunity to have a day at Disney Parks that maximizes their enjoyment and reduces stressful situations."

That is no longer anywhere to be found on the Autism Speaks website or Facebook page, but it still shows up if you do a search for Disney on the website, as this picture shows.
image89.jpg

Link to larger:
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/data/1332/medium/image89.jpg

But, if you click that first link, it's been replaced with a letter from a Meg Crofton, Disney's President about the changes.
http://www.autismspeaks.org/news/news-item/disney-president-speaks-out-about-changes

1) This is like ANY other Special Interest Group.
2) If they can't get EVERYTHING they want, then they
. . . ignore it
. . . disavow it
. . . complain about it
3) Disney is allowing ACCESS for disabilities, not for preference.
4) The Executive Director sounds like he wants "preference".

NOTE: As for my stance, Disney needs to make certain there is ACCESS
for disabled people, but not give them preferential treatment. Disabled
should be able to get onto rides and be accommodated, but should not
get special treatment or more frequent rides over non-disabled guests.

1) This is like ANY other Special Interest Group.
2) If they can't get EVERYTHING they want, then they
. . . ignore it
. . . disavow it
. . . complain about it
3) Disney is allowing ACCESS for disabilities, not for preference.
4) The Executive Director sounds like he wants "preference".

NOTE: As for my stance, Disney needs to make certain there is ACCESS
for disabled people, but not give them preferential treatment. Disabled
should be able to get onto rides and be accommodated, but should not
get special treatment or more frequent rides over non-disabled guests.

Well said.

And I agree with everything Sue said in her post as well - I saw this video last night, and my reaction was "there's a guy trying to cover his behind".

I'm going to close this now, since both sides have been posted.
If the OP wants to make another response, please PM me and I will open it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter