You're going back to Disney? Again?!? A July, 2018 TR - Updated 11-15 - THE END

Never one to turn down luck or the opportunity to pinch a booty - I give him a little pinch.

:laughing: Love that!! Hope the booty pinch showers you with good luck!!:)

But I'm hoping in the next few months I'll be able to convince him. We shall see.

I have great confidence in your skill of persuasion!:thumbsup2 Heck- you've convinced me that having a pet giraffe is plausible!

I'm so glad I have a breakfast reservation at Be Our Guest and dinner at Ohana scheduled for January - they look so good! We've done lunch at BOG and it was fine, but breakfast looks great!

July 9th - still continued . . .

We had one more thing to do before this trip could be officially called a success. A never before seen fireworks show - Happily Ever After. I really enjoy the fireworks shows that Disney does (I think this will be our third one for the trip) and could honestly see the same one over and over again and not get tired of it. Although tempted to watch YouTube videos of the show prior to our arrival, I fought the urge so that it would be all bright, shiny and new for both of us. After leaving the Poly, we hopped back on the monorail for the quick ride back over to Magic Kingdom. I did convince Tony that one more photo pass picture just had to be taken in front of the train. I think by that point I had just worn him down.

MK RR.jpg

Main Street USA was CROWDED. This does not usually bother me, but it made going in and out of the stores - especially the Empoirum - almost impossible. So despite all of our adventures around Disney Springs and going in and out of a ton of stores, I bought nothing for myself. It's probably okay thought. Our budget was screaming by the time we got home.

Our one and only plan was to find the designated ECV area for HEA and just hang out until show time. After some inquiries, we found the area just past Casey's Hot Dog place. There was a cast member there who was monitoring the area and opened the ropes for us so we could slide on it. It was already decently crowded despite the upcoming hour wait for the show to start. There were not that many ECV/wheelchair users, but a lot of family members along with those guests which made the area a little snug. But once the sun started going down it cooled off a little bit, so it wasn't miserable.

MK 25.jpg

Yeah, that one is a little blurry. Sorry about that.

Our view was really good with the exception of a very tall and in the way light stand. It wasn't too bothersome during the show, but it was in the way for every picture.

MK 26.jpg

Hello Mr. Light Pole - thanks for blocking my view.

MK 29.jpg

This was my attempt at an "artsy" picture. Not so much artsy, but you can get an idea of how crowded the hub was.

MK 30.jpg

MK 28.jpg

Once the show got going, we put the phones and cameras down. I really wanted to just enjoy the show without any distractions. And it was just amazing. It was the perfect way to end our trip. Tony was completely mesmerized by the entire thing. He likes to huff and puff about how Disney is just a place for kids. But I know that deep down he loves all of this. But he has to maintain his manly man image! So it'll be our little secret - okay?!?!?

After the fireworks were over, I had a thought of trying to squeeze in one or two more rides. That would be a solid no. It took us almost an hour (I'm not kidding) to just get out of the little roped off area and begin inching down Main Street. My hopes of one last ride or heaven forbid one last photo pass picture was just not happening. I could have had us wait even longer for the crowds to thin out to do a few more things, but we were tired and it was time to just call it a night. It took quite a bit of time to make our way to the busses and back to the resort. I think we had to wait for at least two busses to come thru to accommodate the ECV's waiting. It was just a busy night.

Up next - no snack credits get left behind and the long journey home!

It looks like 'Ohana was a big win! Score one for Ruthie! Your report on this prompted me to just set up a touring plans reservation finder for our upcoming trip. Fingers crossed!

It was the best dinner of the trip with Ale and Compass being a close second. If you don't get a reservation before you leave, just check the app daily. Usually early in the morning will get you that night or the next night if your plans are flexible. It is worth it.

We've never eaten at Ohana's but it sure looks good! We will have to finally give it a try. Whenever the next trip is - I can't seem to find a time that works just yet. We mainly come early Dec. and in my opinion it's a good time to go. Good weather and crowds not too bad.

December is a great time with all of the holiday festiveness. If we can make the 2019 trip happen, it will be the week after Thanksgiving.

We're eating at Ohana in February, and I cannot wait. First time staying at the Poly, first time eating there. I, too, have read the not so good reviews. Too rushed, etc, etc. But we can't stay there and not eat there lol!! I'm sure we'll love it.... and I'll be saving room for that bread pudding!!

The resort itself was just beautiful. It was peaceful and almost made you forget that a major theme park was five minutes away. You will love it. And yes, save room for dessert. Or just push through the misery. It's worth it!

:laughing: Love that!! Hope the booty pinch showers you with good luck!!:)

I have great confidence in your skill of persuasion!:thumbsup2 Heck- you've convinced me that having a pet giraffe is plausible!

Well that made me laugh. I have given Tony some pretty decent hints about different ways I could have a pet giraffe - like the baby giraffe Pandora charm. Which is so cute! We will see if he is picking up on the clues!

I'm so glad I have a breakfast reservation at Be Our Guest and dinner at Ohana scheduled for January - they look so good! We've done lunch at BOG and it was fine, but breakfast looks great!

They were both very good. BOG is almost as much about eating in the castle as it is about the food.

But I know that deep down he loves all of this. But he has to maintain his manly man image! So it'll be our little secret - okay?!?!?

What is said on the DIS, stays on the DIS!!:laughing:

Glad you enjoyed the fireworks!! I love the last castle picture with all the colors! Beautiful!! Yikes on the gridlock on Main St!! :eek:

July 10th - time to go home.

Disney vacations never seem to be long enough. I am always so envious of those people who spend two weeks at Disney and can see and so just about everything. TWICE!! But when we woke up this morning, it was time to load up the van and head north on I-75. We wanted to get an early start and try to get past Atlanta before stopping. We also had to make sure the ECV's were at the drop off point by 8:30 AM. It didn't take long to finish up the packing, as we had done some pre-packing the previous day. I left Tony in the room waiting for the luggage assistance guy and I headed over to the food court. Because we stayed away from the food court more than we had anticipated, we ended up with several counter service meals left, along with a few snack credits. For each counter service meal we had left, it turned into three snack credits. All in total, we had 15 snack credits left. And a cooler ready to go for the long ride home!!!

Do you know how many containers of grapes you can "purchase" when you have a crap ton of snack credits left over? A lot. So I did. Along with cookies, protein bars, more fruit, bags of trail mix and everything else I could think of so that no snack credit would be left behind. The poor cast member who checked me out could only chuckle and explain that she does this kind of transaction most every morning when people are using up their snack credits.

After my two ginormous bags were filled up, I went to the front desk to confirm our check out and double check our bill for accuracy. I didn't want to get all the way home and find out we were charged for something we didn't buy. It was correct (Tony didn't try to sneak anything) and by the time I made my way to the front of the hotel, Tony had already brought around the van and it was loaded up with our luggage.

Yes ladies, he is truly the best thing ever.

I turned in my ECV and signed the book indicating we had turned them in on time. We loaded up the "groceries" in the cooler and set out for the long drive home. We were officially depressed and had our sad pouty faces on.

Pouty faces.jpg

I was truly upset to have to leave. I know, it's silly. Two visits within six months is a lot more than most people get to experience. But this trip completely solidified the fact that I wanted to be back here again. And often. So what did we do for the first few hours of the drive? Kick around ideas for the next trip! It was really more me talking and Tony just nodding and probably cringing with the thoughts of how much a next trip might cost. I have big ideas on a small budget.

And then we drove. :moped:

And drove. :car::car:

And drove. :moped::car::moped::car:

The ride home is so much more depressing than the ride to the destination. The Pandora stations are not as upbeat. The pod casts are not as interesting. Tony's snoring is just that much louder. We stopped somewhere just past Atlanta for the night and got home the next day mid-afternoon. There was nothing interesting to report and the sad pouty face picture was the last one I took of the trip.

Up next - a list of what I will do again and what I will do differently on our next trip. And will there be a next trip? And where am I on my quest for a baby giraffe???

All in total, we had 15 snack credits left. And a cooler ready to go for the long ride home!!!

:thumbsup2 Glad you redeemed every last credit!!! I'm sure the snacks came in handy on the road trip! It made you feel a little like you were still on vacation??

And will there be a next trip? And where am I on my quest for a baby giraffe???

Do tell- when is the next trip??:goodvibes I promise not to tell Tony! We can tell him later!

And yes- the giraffe is a must! I like the idea of the charm! You may be pleasantly surprised on Christmas Day!!:)

I really enjoyed your TR!!:)

And now it's time to say goodbye to all our company . . .

I hate to see an end to a trip report. I really enjoy typing them up and reliving the experiences. But when I uploaded the last sad pouty face picture, it actually got me a little sad. Because despite the small bumps in the road (and we all have them on vacay) it was a fabulous trip. As promised, here is my list of what I would do again and what I would do differently . . .

What I will do again

1. A photo pass share - thanks to the wonderful tip from @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina I was able to join in with other random strangers and pay into a photo pass share. I think there ended up being 5 families in the share, so the price was perfect. I'll never pay full price for PP again.
  2. Rent ECV's - I said this last time and I'll say it again, renting ECV's for Tony and I saved our trip. Tony's ortho doctor told him yesterday he has the knees of a 70 year old. And he's 51. All of that walking is impossible. If you even think that you need to rent an ECV, don't be shy about it. Just do it!
  3. Asking CM's for a little extra help - I know people are shy, embarrassed, ashamed, whatever for asking for a little extra help. Whether it be to slow down a moving walkway or to wait for a ride vehicle for a wider door, just ask for the help. The cast members are willing to do it and if you throw in a smile and a "thank you", I know they appreciate it all the more.
  4. Have a rest day in the middle of the trip. This was so nice. Just relaxing, swimming and spending the evening at Disney Springs was very nice in the middle of what is always a hectic trip. If your time and budget allow for an extra non-park day it is really nice to have.
  5. Trying new to us restaurants. All but two meals were at new to us places. I kept stalking the dining reservations until we got what we wanted and there were no meal disappointments.
What I would do differently
  1. Stay at a different resort. I really have no problem with value resorts. It is what we have always done because we don't spend great big gobs of time at the resort and I want to put my money towards other things. But AS Sports was just not for me. The remodeling of the food court and the crazy crowds was just too much for me. I really would like to stay at a moderate next time, but it will really depend on our budget.
  2. Not have my bratty moment. It was not my finest hour and my writing of the event was a much nicer version of how things went down. That was long and silent ride out of EPCOT and on the bus back to the resort. I redeemed myself (and so glad to see Illuminations) but I'm an adult and should be able to not act like a three year old.
  3. Not skip Hollywood Studios. Our reasons for not going was because it was the same week as Toy Story Land opening. But I wish we had just gone on ahead and fought the crowds and gone. We missed a lot of fun things.
  4. Plan a longer trip. I just need more days. There's no good reason. I just want to be there.
As for our next Disney trip? I just don't know. If it were up to me, we would go around this time next year - right after Thanksgiving. That way we could see all of the holiday festiveness. Tony thinks we should wait until June, 2020, which would be our 10 year anniversary. Yeah, that sounds all romantic and lovey dovey, but I don't want to wait that long to have to go. But we could really put a lot of money in savings over the next 18 months and maybe do that moderate resort. And stay longer. And do more. But my patience is not so fabulous. Because I can act like a three year old. Only time will tell. You never know when you'll see a link for a new pre-trip report.

And my quest for a baby giraffe is still going strong. Tony has taken my hinting very well and has been looking for Pandora charms, but has not had any luck yet. We're doing some Black Friday shopping next week, so I'm confident I'll have something on my wrist. He even went to Build-A-Bear to see if there was a giraffe there. Yes friends, I'm a lucky girl indeed.

Thank you all so much for hanging out with me while I've gone on and on about our adventures. I hope to be back sooner rather than later!!!

What is said on the DIS, stays on the DIS!!:laughing:

Glad you enjoyed the fireworks!! I love the last castle picture with all the colors! Beautiful!! Yikes on the gridlock on Main St!! :eek:

:thumbsup2 Glad you redeemed every last credit!!! I'm sure the snacks came in handy on the road trip! It made you feel a little like you were still on vacation??

It really was nice to have those extra snacks. Our cooler was pretty empty by that point and I was glad to not have to go to a grocery store.

Do tell- when is the next trip??:goodvibes I promise not to tell Tony! We can tell him later!

And yes- the giraffe is a must! I like the idea of the charm! You may be pleasantly surprised on Christmas Day!!:)

I really enjoyed your TR!!:)

Poor Tony just goes along with my crazy ideas. He ends up having fun, but again doesn't want to loose any of those all important man points by saying he likes to eat dinner with Mickey Mouse!

Thanks for reading along with me!

Another great trip report, Ruthie! Thanks so much for keeping us entertained by sharing your trip with us. Maybe we'll see you guys in 2020. I think that's the earliest we'll be back after this quick trip my daughter and I have coming up in about 2 weeks. If we like going this time of year, I'll try to drag the DH along next time but it definitely won't be in 2019. Speaking of, even if 2020 is when you guys return, the time will fly by because of all the planning you can do. Think of the epic pre-trip report you could write with that much time on your hands. Also, something to keep in mind - if you rent DVC points, it's usually about the same cost as a moderate (at least it has been; with the annual dues increase who knows what will happen with the points rental prices - might be worth looking into when the time comes, though). AKL has a lot of giraffes and you don't necessarily need a dedicated savanna view to see them. We've always booked standard and have always lucked out with animal views - including giraffes!

I hope you get your baby giraffe for Christmas! Let us know if you do.

Great trip report! I hope you don't have to wait too long for your next visit. I'm sorry you didn't risk HS, I was there the same week and I don't feel like the crowds were any worse than the rest of the parks but we were really concerned about the level of craziness too!

Great TR Ruthie!!:thumbsup2 Loved reading about all the details!! I hope you squeeze in another visit soon!! While I love long trips, I do like to take more frequent shorter ones to see different times of the year! Short trips are great, too! :)

Keep us in the loop on the status of the giraffe!!:)

So sad your report is over! I really enjoyed reading about all of it and following along.

I totally understand about not wanting to wait to go back. We have our trip coming up in January and then we are talking about our next trip in 2022 for our 10 year anniversary but I just don't know if I can go 3 years! But it's hard with the kids' school calendars. Maybe I'll have to do an adult trip with my sisters... ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter