Your worse mishap arriving at the Fort ?

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
Our worse mishap this past trip to the Fort ? I had removed the water filter from the kitchen water line to keep it from winter storage freeze,,Got to the Fort,,hooked everything up , turned on the water,,,,forgot to put filter back in the line. WOW was Mrs Goofy ticked ! Our DS thought it pretty funny ....Mr.:goofy:

I can top that! We were driving to the fort with our 91 Komfort fifth wheel and just before we got over the florida line we notice that the cab over part of the f'er was really bouncing. we stopped and found out that the floor was
separating from the walls on one side. Apparently there was a leak in the wall we couldnt see and it rotted the wood and the wall came apart from the floor. you could stick your entire arm into the corner.. luckly we stopped at Lowes and bought wood and hubby fixed it so it would make it home!

Well not the biggest mishap but pulling out of our site leaving the fort the kids across from us were on big wheels and my dh was watching for them and didn't see the tree branch hanging over and ripped a hole in our awning. :sad2:

Several years ago and a couple of campers ago, too, I got some bad gas in my tow vehicle in Florida. By the time we hit FW, the thing sounded like a steam locomotive. My wife was totally embarrassed when we checked in. I dropped the trailer off, left everybody to go to the Meadows, and I chugged over to the gas station and got a bunch of dry gas and filled up with premium and the problem disappeared.

On a trip with just my DD and myself, I asked my DD to watch and not let me hit the water supply while I was backing into our site. She was doing a great job of that but for some reason I decided to stop and take a look for my self. When I got to the back of the camper I saw I had stopped just before hitting the picnic table on the opposite side of the camper. I could not have stopped any closer without hitting the table! I tried to put a dime between the table and the bumper of the camper and it would not fit!

Two flat tires on the way to FW. Right rear in WV. It took out the wheel well panel above the tires and the lower side panel behind the wheels. That evening DH spent an hour pounding out the wrinkled mess so he could reattach it with a screw gun until we got home and could order new parts. Two days later, we are on I-4, 5 miles from Disney when the exact same tire ( not exact same....a new tire, but same right rear) blew. You'd be amazed how fast people get out of your way when chunks of rubber are bouncing down the highway going 60+mph. I think that was the fastest we have ever moved over 3 lanes and off into the grass! You'd think, things couldnt get worse, right? Wrong!!!! Guess who hadn't bought another spare tire yet?!? So, what do we do? Husband pulls out the original bad tire----it is still holding air, but has all the rubber tread pealed off. Once its back on the 5er we slowly move with the emergency flashers going to the next exit. Luckily its rt 535 and we are familiar with the area. We pull into the first parking lot we can fit into; drop the 5er....go into the store, explain to the manager that we are leaving our Rv in his parking lot while we go look for a replacement tire. Luckily we were able to find what we needed at Sam's. We bought 2 tires. LESSON LEARNED. Buy replacement tire immediately. Two hrs later we are finally set up at the fort and husband is looking through the cabinet (which happens to be directly over the tire(s) that blew) and he finds my stash of 10 cases of diet mt dew. Well, let me just say that there was another explosion, blow out, outbust when he saw how much weight I had on that tire area. I still don't take responsibility for the 2 bad tires. I think its Disneys fault for only selling Coke products.:lmao: Ohh ....husband spent 2 hrs that night, pounding out the same panel---by this time it looked like white tin foil all crumbled up. All is good---we are at Disney!

Two flat tires on the way to FW. Right rear in WV. It took out the wheel well panel above the tires and the lower side panel behind the wheels. That evening DH spent an hour pounding out the wrinkled mess so he could reattach it with a screw gun until we got home and could order new parts. Two days later, we are on I-4, 5 miles from Disney when the exact same tire ( not exact same....a new tire, but same right rear) blew. You'd be amazed how fast people get out of your way when chunks of rubber are bouncing down the highway going 60+mph. I think that was the fastest we have ever moved over 3 lanes and off into the grass! You'd think, things couldnt get worse, right? Wrong!!!! Guess who hadn't bought another spare tire yet?!? So, what do we do? Husband pulls out the original bad tire----it is still holding air, but has all the rubber tread pealed off. Once its back on the 5er we slowly move with the emergency flashers going to the next exit. Luckily its rt 535 and we are familiar with the area. We pull into the first parking lot we can fit into; drop the 5er....go into the store, explain to the manager that we are leaving our Rv in his parking lot while we go look for a replacement tire. Luckily we were able to find what we needed at Sam's. We bought 2 tires. LESSON LEARNED. Buy replacement tire immediately. Two hrs later we are finally set up at the fort and husband is looking through the cabinet (which happens to be directly over the tire(s) that blew) and he finds my stash of 10 cases of diet mt dew. Well, let me just say that there was another explosion, blow out, outbust when he saw how much weight I had on that tire area. I still don't take responsibility for the 2 bad tires. I think its Disneys fault for only selling Coke products.:lmao: Ohh ....husband spent 2 hrs that night, pounding out the same panel---by this time it looked like white tin foil all crumbled up. All is good---we are at Disney!
i'da kicked your butt too.... unless it was 10 cases of miller lite

our mishap happened last week, we blew the trannie in wesley chapel.

Two flat tires on the way to FW..........

You'd be amazed how fast people get out of your way when chunks of rubber are bouncing down the highway going 60+mph. I think that was the fastest we have ever moved over 3 lanes and off into the grass! ...........

LESSON LEARNED. Buy replacement tire immediately............

he finds my stash of 10 cases of diet mt dew. Well,let me just say that there was another explosion, blow out, outbust when he saw how much weight I had on that tire area.

Like I posted earlier, I had my first flat on the tt on the way to FW last week. It really is amazing how much room everyone gives you when that happens isn't it!!!

I did go and get my tire replaced right away. My Dad ALWAYS carried 2 spares in the trunk of his car. He said if we had a flat, that would leave us with no spare. So I took time out from the Fort to get it done before the trip home.

As far as the cases of Diet Dew, it was DIET, how heavy could it really be!!!:rolleyes:

I would love to do a poll on how many people have had a flat tire either going or coming from FW, we also had a flat 1 hour after leaving , it was pretty scary , I was glad it was on the way home though. :eek:

We bought 2 tires. LESSON LEARNED. Buy replacement tire immediately

Always good to have 2 spares, we had a blowout on the way to the Atlanta race one year, changed the tire and started looking for a spare before moving on, could not find one anywhere in town. So I always try to have 2 spares for the trailer.

I would love to do a poll on how many people have had a flat tire either going or coming from FW, we also had a flat 1 hour after leaving , it was pretty scary , I was glad it was on the way home though. :eek:
We had a tire lose its tread on the way to the fort, did not know until a passing motorist started pointing and waving, it still held air and we were close to 192 so we just took it easy until we got to camping world for a replacement.

I use to have embarrassing moments but since we started towing the fifthwheel everywhere, the toilet is always close. The store clerk use to ask who I was buying the Depends for? I would say they were for my astronaut wife.
They actually make great piddle pads for the dogs while in the camper. Just be sure you turn on the lights before walking across the floor. Once used, they become like flypaper when stepped on.

We had a Flat on the motorhome on the way down to FW in Sept 07. Didn't know it till I saw the emergency lights of the Georgia State Trooper pulling us over. "Did you know you have a flat tire?" wanting to say something smart about going 70mph with a flat and 5 kids inside, I chose "no sir" and began looking... Driver's side rear, out side tire. He wrote me a warning for getting a flat tire! Waited 4hrs for roadside service.:headache:
On the way home we blew the inside tire on the driver side rear. Just before leaving Florida on 95. I was not paying or waiting for roadside service on that one. Changing a tire at 10pm on the side of 95 was NO fun!:eek:

Okay, this didn't happen upon our arrival, but two days later. I walk the dog at about 6:00am, and then we plan to get ready for a day at Magic Kingdom. As I go to let her into the rv, she snags the skin of her hind leg on the screen door, and screams (yes, screams) so loud half our loop wakes up and rushes outside. I shudder, take a look, and her skin is ripped half way down the side of her leg. My husband throws a towel on this bloody mess and carries her into the rv, while I try to find a Disney number in one of our Disney books. I get directions to a vet, who luckily for us, turns out to be wonderful. More than two hundred stitches later (and $1200 later), she is sewn up, and my heart palpitations finally cease.

Needless to say, we filed that ______(substitute a swear word here) screen door point down.

I got ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt in the passenger seat....less than 10 minutes away from the fort....wife got one for doing 70 in a 65 at the same time!!! But I guess thats better than flat tires on TTs.

Years ago, on one of our very first family trips to Disney, we couldnt even dream of affording to stay on property, we checked into a Motel 6 somewhere on I.Bronson, I believe...and there was a huge hole in the wall with a perfect view to the next room, there was a very large naked man sleeping uncovered in the bed......we didnt ask for another room...just got a refund and moved to the next dump we could afford without a custom view.

Okay, this didn't happen upon our arrival, but two days later. I walk the dog at about 6:00am, and then we plan to get ready for a day at Magic Kingdom. As I go to let her into the rv, she snags the skin of her hind leg on the screen door, and screams (yes, screams) so loud half our loop wakes up and rushes outside. I shudder, take a look, and her skin is ripped half way down the side of her leg. My husband throws a towel on this bloody mess and carries her into the rv, while I try to find a Disney number in one of our Disney books. I get directions to a vet, who luckily for us, turns out to be wonderful. More than two hundred stitches later (and $1200 later), she is sewn up, and my heart palpitations finally cease.

Needless to say, we filed that ______(substitute a swear word here) screen door point down.

I've never understood that knowing how many people bring animals and kids in rv's why the bottom of the door has that sharp edge. It's obvious the top one is rounded so as not to cut the awning so why not make it round at the bottom too to keep from slicing somebody.

My worst thing coming to the fort was the capture plate on my 5th wheel hitch breaking twice on the way down hitting my tailgate and bending it to hell and back. I think I finally got that problem solved but I still take the tailgate off when I tow and put it on when we get to the destination. I know if I leave it on it will break again and dent what I had fixed.

Yo Rog, the red flag should've went up when they required payment for the room by the hour.
Wife and I once visited the MK back in 76. Stayed at what was the Holiday Inn out by the interstate on 192. Last time we was there, we drove back out there and dang the place was a dump. Of course it wasn't a Holiday Inn anymore. Back then, wasn't much of Kississimee to see.

We had a flat at the Fort Too. We found it as we were pulling out of our site at the end of our vacation. We put on the spare and looked for a place to repair the other tire, but no luck on a Saturday morning. Thankfully we made it home with no other issues. Now DH carries a tire repair kit with us when travelling.

I was LOL on the soda thing. We had a flat several years ago on the way down. DH blamed it on all the soda we had packed. The worst was a couple of years ago. We were on our way home and a flying tire piece hit us and took out a few lights, one jack and put a big hole in the front of the camper. We looked like hillbilly campers with all the duct tape on the camper the rest of the way home.

Several years ago and a couple of campers ago, too, I got some bad gas in my tow vehicle in Florida. By the time we hit FW, the thing sounded like a steam locomotive. My wife was totally embarrassed when we checked in. I dropped the trailer off, left everybody to go to the Meadows, and I chugged over to the gas station and got a bunch of dry gas and filled up with premium and the problem disappeared.

Sounds like our first road trip to WDW in the mid 90's when our first was about 3yo. We took the family minivan down and were driving through the night while he slept. Somewhere just south of the GA/FL border we needed gas and stopped at a 24hr location right off the highway. The whole time I was pumping I could smell gas, and only realized belatedly that they must have had leaking underground tanks (place was in a wetland, with the water very close by). We made it to Daytona Beach and watched the sunrise over the water. A couple of hours later when we went to leave, the van would not start. There must have been enough water to separate out to the bottom of the tank. The only way to get it moving was for me to jump up and down on the back bumper of the MV while DW cranked the engine. We must have looked pretty ridiculous, but it worked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter