Your whine of the day...

I'm tired and want to be home. We had a big weekend- wine tasting and Christmas party (out) on Saturday and we hosted a going away party on Sunday; we had 12 people for dinner last night. I was careful with alcohol consumption on Saturday and didn't drink at all on Sunday, but I'm beat. Cooking, cleaning, moving furniture, doing dishes, cooking some more, final kitchen clean-up. DH over-imbibed on Saturday so wasn't much help until mid-afternoon on Sunday, meaning he helped move furniture, vacuumed, and shoveled the walkways. I am BONE TIRED today and have no patience for teaching math to kids who are already so hyped up about the holidays that they are not paying attention AT ALL. AND I have outdoor recess duty today and it's cold (23F), grey, and windy. I just have to keep my eyes on the prize: By 3:30 I should be home on the couch with my blankie, cup of tea, and my book. I can do this...

My dd's college text books that we rented are due 12/22. Her last final is 12/19 and she would like to have the books up until that point. I have all the paperwork for sending the books back plus the box here at home since I thought we'd have more time than 3 days to get the books back. Esp. since it being Christmas and all I'm afraid of not getting the books back on time and they already sent me what the charges would be if the books were late. Luckily I'm prob going to her school on the 15th to pick up some stuff that she needs to bring home (I've already complained about this on another thread but she has to move out of her dorm (meaning everything comes home) over winter break because her room will house the winter break students). She thinks she can do without the books that are due. Also, I think she only rented one book from her school and that one is also due before school ends. I don't really get that. I know she has at least one other book that she rented from a third place but hasn't gotten a notice from them yet. That one is prob. due too - lol
When I was in college I used for some textbooks at least Chegg(.com) where one of the things you can do is rent textbooks. They were very easy to send them back because all you had to do was place them in any box you had that fits them (they actually advertise on their website that they don't care if it's in a pizza box or a shoe box, etc) and use the pre-paid shipping label and give it to UPS. I don't believe they had any rental return periods before semester was up or really close to when the semester ended like your daughter has--at least back then.

May I please have another whine?

A LONG time ago, I went to an after Christmas sale and bought about twenty of these super sturdy re-usable decorative Christmas boxes that are attractive and cute in a variety of sizes! We re- use them every year for our family who live in this house. I also bought Christmas fabric and made bags that we also re- use every year. I have rolls of fabric ribbon that we re- use every year. We painted wooden tags with our names and we re-use those every year.

What's my whine?

People see our tree and almost gasp. " your presents look lovely! But, you don't use WRAP?" I explain that millions of tons of gift wrap goes into the landfill and we are happy to do this. The cleanup is SO EASY. Little boxes fit inside medium boxes which fit in bigger boxes. The fabric bags roll up with ribbon and tags. All fits back inside one box for storage. It works for us.

But people argue! " but it's Christmas! You have to have wrapping paper!" ( no, we don't!) " but don't you miss wrapping?" ( uh no, we carefully place gifts in these lovely boxes.) " but don't you miss UNWRAPPING?" ( uh, we still open presents. It's just as exciting.) " oh, we could never do that!" ( did I ask you to?)

Sigh.

When I was in college I used for some textbooks at least Chegg(.com) where one of the things you can do is rent textbooks. They were very easy to send them back because all you had to do was place them in any box you had that fits them (they actually advertise on their website that they don't care if it's in a pizza box or a shoe box, etc) and use the pre-paid shipping label and give it to UPS. I don't believe they had any rental return periods before semester was up or really close to when the semester ended like your daughter has--at least back then.
Pretty sure chegg is what my DD used and once forgot to send the book and they sent a reminder notice after a few weeks. It was no big deal - she sent it back. They were good to work with.

Grumpy’s Gal, what a fantastic idea! Wish I’d thought of that years ago. I spent $60 on gift bags,tissue, etc at Dollarama this year and had wrapping paper already from Costco. It’s too late for me now though as most gifts leave our house and I’d never get those recyclables back. I’ve also spent the last two days wrapping!

Yikes - the "comfy chair" should already have been removed from the room! Good thinking suspecting the coat, too. - Can you send her with a trash bag to put her coat in and hang that on the hook?

That is a good idea - I don't know that she would be willing to do a trash bag, but I'm betting she'd be willing to seal it up in her backpack during the day. Excellent thinking!!!

That is a good idea - I don't know that she would be willing to do a trash bag, but I'm betting she'd be willing to seal it up in her backpack during the day. Excellent thinking!!!

Back when my daughter was in third grade, there was a lice outbreak that they were having trouble getting under control. Everyone had a trash bag that their coats, hats, scarves, etc. went into at the beginning of the day so that nothing touched when hanging on the hooks. Thank goodness, we were spared!

Thank you for the opportunity to "petty whine!" Mine...

Went to Kohl's today, not for a Christmas gift, but to find a birthday gift for DFIL. First of all, Kohl's always puts merchandise in the center of the aisles, so if you have a cart and someone coming toward you has a cart, you both can't get by. Someone hit my cart head-on today - it's one of those carts with the stroller in front, and my 2-year-old was sitting in it. No apology or "excuse me" for ramming my kid, just a glare at me. And in stores in general, other people don't let you look at anything!!! Today, and one day last week at Walmart, another customer hit me in the back with their cart and yelled at me to keep moving, when I was trying to look at something. The stores aren't even busy on the weekdays, which is when I go (no way do I go shopping on the weekends at this time of year).

And a second petty whine...yesterday at home, a heavy glass jar of gourmet mustard fell on my foot. I think I broke a few toes. So I can't move very quickly as it is.

Petty whine. I WANT SNOW!!!! It is 65 degrees here! This is not Christmas! I live up in the foothills. Where is my snow??!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t know about y’all but sometimes I just feel like whining but don’t want to annoy my IRL friends and family. Well here’s your space to whine, the pettier the better.

I’ll start. I’m recovering from knee surgery and the cane I had to buy today to wean myself off my walker makes me feel old. I also am tired of sleeping on my back and want to sleep on my side again. Waaaah!!!!!! :sad2:

Let’s hear it. popcorn::

Healing thoughts coming your way from one OLD with a cane to another!

Back when my daughter was in third grade, there was a lice outbreak that they were having trouble getting under control. Everyone had a trash bag that their coats, hats, scarves, etc. went into at the beginning of the day so that nothing touched when hanging on the hooks. Thank goodness, we were spared!

Was your daughter in my son's class?o_O My son's third grade class had the same lice issue: started in October and lasted the whole school year. We had to supply garbage bags too.

Remember the dry hacking cough I was whining about earlier in the thread........well after a trip the ER yesterday I found out I have the flu even after the flu shot. Figures!! :rolleyes:

Grumpy’s Gal, what a fantastic idea! Wish I’d thought of that years ago. I spent $60 on gift bags,tissue, etc at Dollarama this year and had wrapping paper already from Costco. It’s too late for me now though as most gifts leave our house and I’d never get those recyclables back. I’ve also spent the last two days wrapping!
Oh ya, this is how we do within our house. So none of these boxes leave.

However, on my side of the family, we made 100 fabric gift bags in varying sizes. This was prob ten or fifteen years ago. Bags kept at my folks house. At thanksgiving, I take a stack, my sister takes a stack for her family, and leave a stack for my folks. We use those bags for our family Christmas when we're all together. Then we leave the bags at my folks after we open presents. It's fun. If any of see some " perfect" fabric for someone's personality, we can add in new bags any time.

On DH's side of the family, we wrap with paper.

Yes her books are from Chegg - lol I'm thinking my daughter is ending school pretty late (last test 12/19). Books being due the 22nd is cutting it quite close. I may just give them a call to see if maybe we can just do a few extra days without getting penalized. My son never had a problem with Chegg but he also didn't go that late into the semester.

It's my birthday and I am spending it waiting on repair guys to come fix my heat (warranty issue) and then trekking to the car dealer becuawe we got a flat last night and it turns out two of the winter tires they put on are defective.
Yesw, I would like some cheese with my whine. Thank you

I bet it'd better be gouda! Btw, Happy Birthday to youuu...

Yes her books are from Chegg - lol I'm thinking my daughter is ending school pretty late (last test 12/19). Books being due the 22nd is cutting it quite close. I may just give them a call to see if maybe we can just do a few extra days without getting penalized. My son never had a problem with Chegg but he also didn't go that late into the semester.
Yeah that could be the issue but I do agree 3 days is not a whole lot of time at all. Hopefully all works out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!