Your thoughts?

OK GRUMPY

<font color=darkcoral>And that is some useless chi
We are going to Disney and will be renting a wheelchair while we are in the parks. I did the give a day get a day we also will have multiple day ticket so we will turn our free ticket and get that fast pass thing. Which park would you use that ticket for since most of the time you go to the front with the wheel chair? I was leaning towards Epcot but I thought I would ask here to see what your thoughts are.
Thanks

You have some misinformation.....you don't usually go to the front with a wheelchair. Most lines are mainstreamed and you go in the same line as everyone else. Sometimes you will need a special ride vehicle or avoid stairs, so you will be pulled aside.

Actually, there are some rides that have longer wait times because of the wait for a special ride vehicle. Read the FAQs at the top of this forum for lots of useful information.

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

The majority of attraction lines in WDW are "mainstreamed". This means that a wheelchair or ECV will use the regular entrance and line all the way to either a show seating or ride load area. If a line is not mainstreamed there will be signs and/or Cast Members to direct you where to go.

If a show, normally there will be spaces to park a chair or ECV and there will be seats next to the space for other members of the group.

If a ride, usually you will have to transfer to a ride vehicle, although some rides will allow a person in a wheelchair to remain in their chair. If you have to transfer to a ride, and unload is not at the same location as load, your ECV will magically appear at the unload area.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Note that Post #2 discusses mobility and equipment. Post #3 had a wide variety of information and links; it might be a good idea to look at the various park "Guidebook For Persons With Disabilities" for more detailed information.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Some rides still allow wheelchairs to go to the Exit and get on the rides within a few minutes. The ride I wait the longest is Soarin but at most I've waited 30 minutes which is pretty good for that ride anyway. Everthing also depends on what time of year you go. The more crowded the longer you will wait. I prefer to go right about now or wait until Sept - Nov timeframe. It is a lot less crowded so most rides I get on in 5 min or less. I've been known to stay on some of them for a second time around. Sometimes they will allow it if there are no lines. If not, I'll get off and get back in the queue. If you are staying on property, take advantage of the Extra Magic hours, the night ones especially.

There are new park maps which list the access for wheelchair users - in most cases, the map says to get a Fastpass or enter the regular queue.
That is the procedure for almost everything at the Studio and at AK. For Epcot, many attraction ( including Soarin', Test Track and Mission Space) have Mainstresm queues. The few that don't are things like Spaceship Earth and American Adventure where it is not physically possible to bring a wheelchair in the 'regular' way.
MK has the most attractions that are not Mainstream, but those again are because it is not possible to get a wheelchair thru the line or to the regular boarding area. Even then, it does not mean you will board right away.

The others have already covered wheelchair boarding policy, so I won't go over that again. As to which park to use the Fastpass at, I'd say MGM (yes, I know it's called HS, but I still call POR 'Dixie Landings' :rotfl:). The Toy Story ride there gets really long lines, and the Fastpasses normally go within the first hour, even in quiet times. I think they'd also be good for the shows, but it may depend on when you go, as to whether they'll be running or not.

The other option would be MK, as there are lots of rides that can get a bit of a line on them. Though the individual lines might not get as long as Toy Story, they will add up, and you'll probably save a fair bit of time with an ultimate Fastpass.

As I think this is your first time travelling with a wheelchair, we'd be happy to give you advice and tips on how to cope. If you have any questions about it, just post them up and we'll see what we can do! :thumbsup2

The others have already covered wheelchair boarding policy, so I won't go over that again. As to which park to use the Fastpass at, I'd say MGM (yes, I know it's called HS, but I still call POR 'Dixie Landings' :rotfl:). The Toy Story ride there gets really long lines, and the Fastpasses normally go within the first hour, even in quiet times. I think they'd also be good for the shows, but it may depend on when you go, as to whether they'll be running or not.

The other option would be MK, as there are lots of rides that can get a bit of a line on them. Though the individual lines might not get as long as Toy Story, they will add up, and you'll probably save a fair bit of time with an ultimate Fastpass.

As I think this is your first time travelling with a wheelchair, we'd be happy to give you advice and tips on how to cope. If you have any questions about it, just post them up and we'll see what we can do! :thumbsup2
If you are interested in TOy Story Mania, I think that would be the best use of your GAD Fastpasses.

to the OP - Even lines where the wheelchair user and party does not wait in the regular queue, it is not unusual to wait lnoger... last time I was in MK, I waited 4x longer than the standby line for jungle cruise.

A lot of times you wait in the regular line, then wait in ANOTHER line, like happens at Buzz lightyear and RnR...

Only a certain number of people with disabilities are allowed on a ride at once for safety reasons.

Do NOT plan your touring strategy around not waitng in lines! You WILL wait in all the normal lines for the most popular attractions (RnR, ToT, Soarin, Test Track, Everest, etc)

Also remember if there are more than you and 5 others in your party, for those lines where they aren't mainstreamed they will more than likely split you up. They don't allow parties bigger than that to all go through the line for wheelchairs and others with special needs.

If you are interested in TOy Story Mania, I think that would be the best use of your GAD Fastpasses.

I know that I was wishing I had an ultimate Fastpass for that ride, when we were there! :thumbsup2

to the OP - Even lines where the wheelchair user and party does not wait in the regular queue, it is not unusual to wait lnoger... last time I was in MK, I waited 4x longer than the standby line for jungle cruise.

A lot of times you wait in the regular line, then wait in ANOTHER line, like happens at Buzz lightyear and RnR...

Only a certain number of people with disabilities are allowed on a ride at once for safety reasons.

Do NOT plan your touring strategy around not waitng in lines! You WILL wait in all the normal lines for the most popular attractions (RnR, ToT, Soarin, Test Track, Everest, etc)

The safari at AK is probably the worst one for this, as you go almost all the way through the regular line, then go off to wait at the wheelchair boarding area. For safety reasons, there is a limit on the number of disabled people allowed into the animal enclosures at one time (you don't want something to go wrong, and find you have 100 guests with mobility issues, in the middle of the lion enclosure :scared1:), so the wait at the disabled boarding area can easily be an extra half hour on top of the regular wait. If you are OK to transfer into the ride car, it may be a bit quicker, as you don't have to wait for the 1 wheelchair tie-down point to be available. Just thought I'd warn you of this, so you don't plan anything to soon after the safari - we wouldn't want you missing an ADR!

P.S. Don't try to save time by walking through the line, as it's a looooong walk, even when there is nobody else waiting, and it's not worth the pain to save that extra 15 minutes or so. I know this from bitter experience!

I know that I was wishing I had an ultimate Fastpass for that ride, when we were there! :thumbsup2

The safari at AK is probably the worst one for this, as you go almost all the way through the regular line, then go off to wait at the wheelchair boarding area. For safety reasons, there is a limit on the number of disabled people allowed into the animal enclosures at one time (you don't want something to go wrong, and find you have 100 guests with mobility issues, in the middle of the lion enclosure :scared1:), so the wait at the disabled boarding area can easily be an extra half hour on top of the regular wait. If you are OK to transfer into the ride car, it may be a bit quicker, as you don't have to wait for the 1 wheelchair tie-down point to be available. Just thought I'd warn you of this, so you don't plan anything to soon after the safari - we wouldn't want you missing an ADR!

P.S. Don't try to save time by walking through the line, as it's a looooong walk, even when there is nobody else waiting, and it's not worth the pain to save that extra 15 minutes or so. I know this from bitter experience!

I dont do the safari b/c of the bouncing around... but this is another good reason i skip it!

Buzz Lightyear is another one where I always end up waiting longer! AND TSM takes FOREVER if you cannot transfer!! I get why the rules are there, but it is still a bit of a pain...

I dont do the safari b/c of the bouncing around... but this is another good reason i skip it!

Buzz Lightyear is another one where I always end up waiting longer! AND TSM takes FOREVER if you cannot transfer!! I get why the rules are there, but it is still a bit of a pain...

::yes:: We tend to go in September, and Buzz is normally walk-on at this time of year, but it takes us about 15 minutes to get through the line, and onto the ride. If only there were some magical system that meant it took exactly the same amount of time for us to get through the line and board, as everyone else :rolleyes:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter