Your thoughts on off site hotels

godalejunior

DIS Veteran
I am interested in hearing what people think of the off site hotels closest to the DL entrance: BWPPI, Camelot, Carousel, Desert Inn and Suites. I have stayed at Tropicana and did not care for the motel like atmosphere (pool was nice).
I looked at the pics of Desert Inn and it looks nice....anyone stayed there? Logistically how close is it to the crosswalk that takes you to DL entrance?

I think there was a discussion somewhere (wish I could find it!) wherein people were arguing over which hotel was closer, Desert Inn and Suites, or Best Western. I think someone actually counted the steps from Desert Inn and Suites to the cross walk and it was 50?

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels but my vote goes for DI&S if you have a large party and one or no vehicle. Their suites can accomedate up to 10! But their parking and breakfast sucks. Hope I helped!

We stayed at the Carousel Inn a couple of years ago and it was fine. The breakfast was ok but I prefer the Candy Cane Inn breakfast. The walk to the Carousel was short compared to Howard Johnson or the Candy Cane. The only thing that bothered me was that my daughter was not able to find a shirt that she had worn and I had read previous posts about theft so I was a little discouraged but my daughter could have left it under the bed accidentally but other than that it was a nice stay.

we just got back from the Park Vue Inn. Stayed there based on the referral of the folks who wrote one of those Un-offical Disneyland Guides. Next to IHOP and Cold Stone Creamery. It was $92 a night. Some of the rooms have bunk beds for the kids. Parking was fine, room was okay for price, maid service was outstanding, pool was clean. Walk to front gates of DL. I'd stay again.

A good map to start with, then compare to googlemaps and such.

The only proper hotel along that area is HoJo, which is about 10 minutes from the esplanade (shorter if you walk briskly). It looks far away on the map, and at night it can *feel* far away, but the reality is that it's maybe 4-6 minutes of walking more.

I stayed at the Carousel and did not like it.

I think there was a discussion somewhere (wish I could find it!) wherein people were arguing over which hotel was closer, Desert Inn and Suites, or Best Western. I think someone actually counted the steps from Desert Inn and Suites to the cross walk and it was 50?

I haven't stayed at any of the hotels but my vote goes for DI&S if you have a large party and one or no vehicle. Their suites can accomedate up to 10! But their parking and breakfast sucks. Hope I helped!
Here is another link that may help:

"How Far Is It?" (shows actual distances in feet from hotels to DLR entrance plaza) www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060329as

We've stayed at Desert Inn many time, most recently in July. We've also stayed at Park Vue. Both are about as close as you can get to the crosswalk. Desert Inn is fine if you only have one car that you don't plan to use much. I like to get there before 3:00 p.m., get a good covered parking space and leave the car there for the duration of the trip. I've seen too many people having trouble finding spaces in the evenings.

Park Vue was OK. We had some issues with housekeeping such as never having enough towels. There were 5 of us staying in a 2-room suite and the maid would leave enough towels for 2 people everyday. We also had some late-night excitement with a huge roach in our room. We tried to trap it under the ice bucket but my husband ended up banging it with his shoe. The ice bucket stayed upside down on the floor for several days. We kept waiting for the maid to perhaps pick it up or give us a new one. We also noticed that coffee cups and glasses were never cleaned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter