Your Thoughts: Camera & Strategy

MassJester

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Greetings,

A buddy of mine is going to backback through Central America for six months (no, I can't expalin to you to afford that). He very much wants to keep a photo record of his trip. The question is: which camera (should be a P&S), and what would you recommend for a photo storage strategy.

Durability and ease of use should be two of your top factors.

I would be glad for your advice.

A friend of mine just got back from a safari in Africa for 3 weeks- I did some research before she went and recommended she get a Canon SX100IS- she also had very little camera experience. She did great with that camera and many of the people on the tour loved it. P&S, 10x zoom, 8mp. As far as storage, I have another friend that travels to Italy every year. Her DH bought an Epson photo storage device to download pictures to. It has a 4" viewing screen and they can hold 1000's of photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-P-3000-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222649075&sr=8-1

I would recommend the Canon G9. Our local paper has been running a series of articles about a photographers journey down the Mississippi and how he documented his trip with only a p&s. This is the one he used.

While technically this is a p&s, it is pretty good size and has manual controls.

Can most charitably be described as shallow.

small, compact, lightweight, good zoom, owner only having 'shallow' photography skills -
Panasonic TZ5 - it has a great "intelligent auto" mode

edit:
the Canon G9 is good - larger but it has excellent image quality and with the G10 now out it may be a good deal

Cards are so cheap now that they might make a good storage device. In the humid conditions of Central America I would be worried about a number of issues and might switch cards fairly frequently as well as have a back up camera available (to be mailed to me?) For that length of time I don't think I would risk my backup to any one device. Your friend might also try the appropriate TripAdvisor message board. I find them very user friendly and helpful for advice.

when my daughter went to Peru she had a real problem with the light under the rainforest canopy..she had a kodak easy share and really couldn't use almost any of her photos from that part of the trip so i think that light must be very different than the norm and difficult for a normal point and shoot since even some of her inside dark building shots turned out better than those( ie in museums, restaurants with very subdued lighting)...so i would put excellent low light capabilities really high on the list...don't know anything about p &s but that is the feature i would make sure and get...I'm sure he wants to make sure and capture the tarantula migration: perfectly : ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter