Your strategies for not gaining 10 pounds at WDW

CdnBuzzFan

DIS Veteran
So...I'm heading for the World in a few weeks and while I'm expecting to gain a few pounds while I'm there, I'd really like to not come back home 10 pounds heavier. On my first trip, I gained 5lbs. On my second trip I gain about 9. So on this, my 3rd trip, I'm a little worried. We're also on the DDP.

Are there some strategies that you use for not gaining a whole lot of weight at Disney?

1) LOTS of walking. Yes, I know you can't get away from it, but I do even more. I volunteer for all of the FP runs and such.
2) TS meals w/ or w/o characters help, because it forces you to eat slower.
3) Hearty breakfasts with some kind of protein in the room help us to get through the day with minimal snacking.
4) We try not to eat dinner past 6, so that we have time to work off the meal.

GOOD LUCK!

We are on the DxDP and I am hoping to not add the lbs as well. Am currently using Disney as a reason to LOSE before our trip at the end of October. (Gotta look good in those Photopass pics!)

And although I do want to enjoy the food - am hoping not to gain more than a couple of pounds - or even better stay the same!

Love the idea of volunteering for FP runner. I will also try to do the majority of the stroller pushing for DD5!

I am planning on making one snack credit (at least) per day - fruit.

We are doing several 2 credits meals, so we are eating breakfast in the room many days (7 out of 12) which is my preference anyways. Planning on oatemal and a protein shake. Also will be taking fibre pills as I hate feeling bloated eating out every day. Hopefully being on the DxDP and the variety of food will help. Will get bottled water at every meal. (Although considering a milkshake the day of 50's PT.)

Lots of salads for appetizers or will pick an entree salad (dressing on the side!)... will forgo a lot of the dessert included - limit one/day OR LESS! (Or maybe go with the three bite rule.)

Will try to not drink too much alcohal, but will make exceptions our two date nights without kiddo... my birthday at Cali Grill and F&W.

We are at CSR, and I plan to make sure I get in at least 3 sessions/week at the Health Club during our afternoon 'breaks' while DH and DD are at the pool. Even if I don't get any cardio in, I'd like to get some weight training and some ab work done.

Split meals--even counter service. At some of the table service meals I don't even order an entree sometimes. If you can't split a meal, decide what is a portion, and get the rest off your plate either in a to go box or on another plate.

At buffets, put your fork down between bites. Decide how many plates you will have, ex: a plate of fruit, salad, a plate of main course, a plate of dessert.

Plan your treats. If we want ice cream, sometimes that would be our lunch. Would I do that home, no but it works better than eating a big lunch and having a treat. If you have a certain Disney treat you love, have a plan for it. Share treats. A little is great, a lot just makes you feel yucky.

Watch thinks like fries, chips, popcorn, etc. They are my personal weakness, but I have found that if I put how many I want in front of me, and move the rest I will stick to it.

Try to eat healthy at least 90 percent of the time. You will be walking a lot, so a little splurge is ok, but going overboard will just make you feel yucky.

If you can walk, do it. Skip the boat, bus, etc if you can walk instead. If you exercise regularly, try to get a few workouts in. We took two runs on our last trip.

Try to mostly drink water. All those specialty drinks and soda have tons of calories.

Our last trip we stayed concierge and I only came back with a 3 pound gain, and it was gone in less than a week. You can still enjoy yourself and eat lots of tasty food, moderation is just the key.

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

Split meals--even counter service. At some of the table service meals I don't even order an entree sometimes. If you can't split a meal, decide what is a portion, and get the rest off your plate either in a to go box or on another plate.

At buffets, put your fork down between bites. Decide how many plates you will have, ex: a plate of fruit, salad, a plate of main course, a plate of dessert.

Plan your treats. If we want ice cream, sometimes that would be our lunch. Would I do that home, no but it works better than eating a big lunch and having a treat. If you have a certain Disney treat you love, have a plan for it. Share treats. A little is great, a lot just makes you feel yucky.

Watch thinks like fries, chips, popcorn, etc. They are my personal weakness, but I have found that if I put how many I want in front of me, and move the rest I will stick to it.

Try to eat healthy at least 90 percent of the time. You will be walking a lot, so a little splurge is ok, but going overboard will just make you feel yucky.

If you can walk, do it. Skip the boat, bus, etc if you can walk instead. If you exercise regularly, try to get a few workouts in. We took two runs on our last trip.

Try to mostly drink water. All those specialty drinks and soda have tons of calories.

Our last trip we stayed concierge and I only came back with a 3 pound gain, and it was gone in less than a week. You can still enjoy yourself and eat lots of tasty food, moderation is just the key.

Have a great trip!:goodvibes

I like your idea of splitting meals, Rose&Mike. I had actually considered doing that with DS8. Then I started thinking that we would have that extra dining credit left that would need to be eaten. I still might do it though.

I've also considered sometimes eating the dessert that comes with the kids meal and ordering one for DS8 from my menu. Can I get away with something like that at the restaurants?

Planning my treats sounds like an excellent strategy as well. I'm a huge (HUGE!!) dessert fan and this may be something that I should consider doing.

We are on the DxDP and I am hoping to not add the lbs as well. Am currently using Disney as a reason to LOSE before our trip at the end of October. (Gotta look good in those Photopass pics!)

And although I do want to enjoy the food - am hoping not to gain more than a couple of pounds - or even better stay the same!

Love the idea of volunteering for FP runner. I will also try to do the majority of the stroller pushing for DD5!

I am planning on making one snack credit (at least) per day - fruit.

We are doing several 2 credits meals, so we are eating breakfast in the room many days (7 out of 12) which is my preference anyways. Planning on oatemal and a protein shake. Also will be taking fibre pills as I hate feeling bloated eating out every day. Hopefully being on the DxDP and the variety of food will help. Will get bottled water at every meal. (Although considering a milkshake the day of 50's PT.)

Lots of salads for appetizers or will pick an entree salad (dressing on the side!)... will forgo a lot of the dessert included - limit one/day OR LESS! (Or maybe go with the three bite rule.)

Will try to not drink too much alcohal, but will make exceptions our two date nights without kiddo... my birthday at Cali Grill and F&W.

We are at CSR, and I plan to make sure I get in at least 3 sessions/week at the Health Club during our afternoon 'breaks' while DH and DD are at the pool. Even if I don't get any cardio in, I'd like to get some weight training and some ab work done.

I'm currently on a weight loss mission as well -- 8lbs in 8 weeks. I have 2.4lbs left to lose.

We do eat breakfast in our room and I usually have a yogurt parfait from the food court or cereal that we've brought with us. Five out of our 7 TS meals are at lunch time so I'm thinking that this may help, however, I've also booked 3 buffet meals -- Biegarten, CM and Liberty Tree -- and these could be trouble for me.

Great idea on planning to share snacks! D'uh! I DO want to try some WDW treats, and this will save some of our snack credits for bottled water on the go! :) :thumbsup2

Well, I did a few of these strategies and ended up gaining 8 pounds! :scared1: However, I managed to lose 5.5 before leaving so gaining those 8lbs are not as terrible as things could have been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter