Your steps for picture files from camera to computer?

wekhogan

Looking for a good book to read
I just started shooting Raw, and need some suggestions on processing. I used to take the photos from my card, save them to a file separated by month, then by event. I would preview them in Windows, then adjust the ones that needed it in PSE by right clicking and "open with".

Now I've got a 100 or so hockey game pics that I can't see in Windows. I opened them in PSE - but every time I fix one, it saves a copy - I can't change the original Raw (probably a safety feature?). Anyway, does this mean I'll be saving the Raw files, and a copy of those that I adjust?

My question is: what's your process for saving/viewing files?

Hi, I use a card reader and PE6 to transfer my RAW images.

Dependent on which make your camera, mine's a Canon 40D, you may (as I have) be able to download some codec which will allow you to view your files within windows, Which is a great help.

Hope this helps.

I am a Nikon guy, so I may be a little different but I use the Nikon Transfer utility to pull the files from the card. This places one copy of the file into a work directory, and another copy into a backup directory. From there I use ViewNX to make basic white balance and exposure corrections and then export the files to either JPG or TIFF, and from there any additional editing in PSE7.

In the spirit of disclosure I did get the main idea for this process from a post on this board. If could remember the name I would be sure to give them credit. But at any rate I have found it to work well for my needs.

JD

before I upload to my pc, I create a folder, then within that folder I create 2 subfolders..Raw & Jpeg,,I upload to the raw folder, then as I work on pics I save them to the jpeg folder

before I upload to my pc, I create a folder, then within that folder I create 2 subfolders..Raw & Jpeg,,I upload to the raw folder, then as I work on pics I save them to the jpeg folder

Oh, man - my Raw's are 11mb each and my jpegs are about 4mb each. I shoot 2 hockey games a week, at about 75-100 shots. I can see that's going to add up quickly!

But I do like that system - it's similar to what I do now. The advantage to keeping a Raw copy is its editability?

And wouldn't I want to save the copies as Tiffs for lossy prevention? Or is that kind of a fallacy?

Oh, man - my Raw's are 11mb each and my jpegs are about 4mb each. I shoot 2 hockey games a week, at about 75-100 shots. I can see that's going to add up quickly!

But I do like that system - it's similar to what I do now. The advantage to keeping a Raw copy is its editability?

And wouldn't I want to save the copies as Tiffs for lossy prevention? Or is that kind of a fallacy?

my raw files are 18 MB and my jpegs are around 10-12MB, so I feel your pain... I do a lot of all day shoots..yielding anywhere from 500-1500 pics..so I've resorted to buying 1TB internal drives and a dock, for my storage..

the thing with tiff, is do you need the lossy file if you're keeping the raw, plus for me at least saving as tiff creates a 35 MB file,,, and for uploading to my website or my printer{mpix} jpeg is recommended...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter