Your Settings for Fireworks

So I did find a ND4 filter in my stack that actually fits my 18-55 and the 50. Coincidentally, there are fireworks at the local Renaissance Fair on Saturday (if it doesn't rain). I'll try it then. I assume I can't go 30secs with that one but 12 sounds about right?

I also did my homework and read up on the use of ND filters and what they do. I found an awesome readup on a German blog that explained how you can make people vanish from long-exposure shots using ND filters. And there I always thought all those night shots at Disney with no people present were waiting till after park closure and sheer luck of finding a nice CM that lets you stay to take pics! I know I won't be able to do that with my 2-stop filter but man.... the possibilities! How could I have missed out on that so far!

Well, I really must thank you all for the answers to my initial question and the additional questions asked. I learned from those as well.

I guess the tripod is coming. I like the locker idea. (I had no idea they were available anymore. Here in Canada most lockers in public areas have been removed since the terrorist attacks) Now it's off to read up on longer exposures. As a nearly sports specific photographer (hockey and lacrosse) the majority of my experience is high shutter speeds in low light locales. (arenas)

Thanks again!

I have to say that I am not a pro by any means, but I have tried to use a garbage can to put my camera on because I didn't want to bring a tripod into the parks. It was such a pain. I will never do it again. This year I brought a tripod and put it in a locker in the morning. It is definitely the way to go. Another thing about using a garbage can is they aren't always in convenient locations either.

The ND filter also allows you to use the lens in the sweet spot where resolution is better than wide open but smaller than where diffraction starts to affect the picture quality.

In many cases shooting with the lens aperture at smaller than f/16 the picture is already being degraded by diffraction. Using the ND filter allows you to shoot at maybe f/8 with a similar shutter speed without over exposure and get a much sharper picture (assuming your ND filter is a quality piece of optics and not degrading the photo worse than diffraction would).

Lens Diffraction: Google it or go to the following as an example.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-diffraction.shtml

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter