Your life before the DIS...

DLR29

We create happiness
A thread on the normal DLR boards got me wondering. Had you gone to the parks before joining these boards? If so, were you a completely clueless tourist wandering around the parks?

So I joined these boards in February 06, but before that I remember some DIS horrors that we used to do:

-In all of my trips before December 06, I had never gotten to the parks at opening. Shocking I know. When we took our first trip to DCA (and DLR) during Spring Break we arrived at the parks at like 9 or 10 when they opened at 8. :faint:

-We used to start every day riding Jungle Cruise. Not picking up any FPs, not riding Peter Pan or something with a long line.....Jungle Cruise. Then we'd wait in a really long like 45 min line for Peter Pan in the middle of the day.

-We didn't know that FPs could be used after the expiration time, so we'd always rush back to the ride before the time window expired.

-We stayed at a hotel (that doesn't exist anymore) way far away from the resort (well not within walking distance) and we took ART. Walking distance > ART

What about you guys?

My very, very first trips to DL were well before there was such thing as a Dis Board (or an internet for that matter.....Shhh....I was just a baby! ;)) but our very first trip as a family happened in July of 2006 and we very much could have used this board. The mid-summer dates couldn't be helped (we were in California visiting family for another event) but the first day we arrived at the hottest part of the day and basically couldn't do anything but sit at Coke Corner, drink sodas, and sweat. We did decide to return to our hotel to swim until the heat subsided, but I wasn't very informed and trusted that the Travelodge Main Gate was actually somewhere near the main gate.....Uh, no. We had to ride ART to and from, and although it was a straight shot down Harbor to get there, our "return" ride took us all over heck and back......
We were leisurely over breakfast in the mornings and the only Fast Pass we used was given to us by a nice couple who were leaving the park as we arrived....it was for Indy, and I may have never even got to ride if it wasn't for them!
I could go on and on about our ignorance, but we actually had a really good time regardless. The trip we just took in March (off season, staying at Hojo) was much more "successful" in terms of utilizing our time wisely, but each trip has its own magical memories....:wizard:

I had definitely been to DL before (see title of Trip Report in signature below and see my avatar picture on the left-hand side - that's me at DL in 1972! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh:scared1: I am so old:scared1:).....

So I had lots of DL experience under my belt, and had booked all of our DLR hotel stays in the past. I think I found DISboards back in 2007, browsed some threads for a while, and then joined it to chat with all of the great people on here in January 2008. I can unequivocally say that being on DIS has single-handedly improved my DLR trips and overall DLR experience because of the extra little facts and knowledge people have shared. I learned everything I know about PhotoPass and its benefits on DIS. I had never made a PS for anything prior to coming onto DISboards, and now I make them for everything. I learned about Ridemax (which I don't always use but it is good info to have) on DIS. I learned that you could e-mail your on-ride Buzz Lightyear photos to yourself on DIS (I thought the kiosks at the end of the ride were something else - I have no clue what!). All the tips about using the Magic Morning and Fast Passes and which rides to get in line for early on have saved and maximized time on our recent DLR trips. Even just looking at the vast array of photos people have shared on all the threads has enlightened me to so many different details and things around DLR that I missed in the past. I tried Taste Pilots Grill after reading reviews on DIS. I could go on and on.

So while I certainly spent lots of time at DLR in previous years (prior to 2007, when I found DIS) and had a wonderful, magical time, the DIS helped me do my DLR trips so much BETTER!!:thumbsup2

I'm sort of in the same boat as Sherry. In fact, my first visit would have been 1972 or 73 when I was about 4 years old. I went off and on through the years. I knew about fast pass, what rides to hit first, and so on.

But last summer before our trip it occurred to me that there must be more info on DLR that maybe I don't know. So I googled "Disneyland tips and tricks" which led me to this site. The first thing I read was Hydroguy's tips and I was glued to the computer.

I didn't know about Ridemax and I plan to try it out this trip. I also learned about Hidden Mickeys. And how to collect FPs more efficiently :goodvibes

My sister had lurked here to research her WDW trip a few years ago, and she said I might be interested in the Disneyland side, but I told her I was already here and posting. And then she decided to officially join too. :) It seems we are both planners, which I'm sure comes from our dad. My DH is the same way so it works out well in our family. :goodvibes

Well up untill 2006 I never did more then a one day trip. I went LOADS of times as a kid, My parents had AP's until we moved her (nevada) and after that my Nana got in for free because she used to sell these little cards that got you 10% off Disney merchandise and then Disney gave her something like 4 free day passes (before the world of park hoppers). During 2006 my boyfriends mom bought us 4 day park hoppers for Chaunukah (hes Jewish Im not). I was ecstatic and had to plan every minute of the 4 days and that's how I found the boards. I disappeared for a while and refound the boards in Christmas of 2007 and here I am :lovestruc

I learned that you could e-mail your ride photos to yourself on DIS (I thought the kiosks at the end of the ride were something else - I have no clue what!).

ummm, please tell me more!:confused3 What ride photos - all of them? Details needed!:goodvibes

ummm, please tell me more!:confused3 What ride photos - all of them? Details needed!:goodvibes

Oh, ooops! I should have clarified that in my earlier post. No, sadly, you can't do that on all of the rides, but on Buzz Lightyear, when you are exiting the ride, you will pass by these kiosks on your left-hand side. Initially, I have no clue what I thought those were. Maybe video games!:lmao: Anyway, that is where you find your on-ride photo (and they are always funny because they are candid), with your score, and you can email it to yourself for FREE!!! I love that! Now, keep in mind that their system seems to malfunction a lot and last december when we went, only one photo out of maybe 5 rides on Buzz came out, but hopefully they have ironed out the glitches by now! Remember to do that when you go to DLR!!

Oh, ooops! I should have clarified that in my earlier post. No, sadly, you can't do that on all of the rides, but on Buzz Lightyear, when you are exiting the ride, you will pass by these kiosks on your left-hand side. Initially, I have no clue what I thought those were. Maybe video games!:lmao: Anyway, that is where you find your on-ride photo (and they are always funny because they are candid), with your score, and you can email it to yourself for FREE!!! I love that! Now, keep in mind that their system seems to malfunction a lot and last december when we went, only one photo out of maybe 5 rides on Buzz came out, but hopefully they have ironed out the glitches by now! Remember to do that when you go to DLR!!

Thanks! We will do that!:thumbsup2

Well I only did a few trips to DL prior to April 06, those were simply day trips so what we did we did. We were very very uneducated but I know I did one of the earliest DL resort character breakfasts, it was early in the morning and CS! They just gave you a box with stuff in it and that's what you ate. lol I like them much better now. :) In April 06 I did find this board and found out some good tips. I didn't join tho until we decided to go again the following year. I've learned so much here and made some good friends, I'm glad I joined and glad I've got someplace to go to share my obsessions with others. LOL

Well of course the visits with my family growing up were clueless but we had fun anyway. The parks were less crowded then though I think. We always just visited the park when visiting my Aunt in LA I'm pretty sure. I really don't remember much of those trips. As a family we were never clueless because we happened upon an Unofficial Guide to Disneyland at AAA one year (before our first trip with the kids) and before every trip got the current. Looking at the Unofficial Guide now though and knowing what I know from the boards-- 2 different worlds.

I've approached DLR very much like I did after DIS (fairly commando), but I did learn some useful tips on here that have enhanced my experience, like making sure to get an 11:30 am ps at BB so that I'm guaranteed a waterside table and how to procure a ride in the pilot's cabin on the Mark Twain. Plus it's a great way to stay abreast on what's going on at the Happiest Place on Earth while getting different perspectives on the changes.

Most of my visits to DLR before I found the DIS were just one day excursions attatched to the end of otherwise full vacations as afterthoughts for my family or whoever we were traveling with. The first time I went by myself and stayed with my friend and her mom I still barely knew a fraction of the magic Disney had to offer. Until this past March I had never once used a Fast Pass, had never really utilized my MM, had never even heard of the HoJo or the Ent. rate. It is all rather sad!

My first visit was when I was 3 in 1997 I want to go with so no we did not use the Dis...
But our second trip when I was 7 I believe in 2002 we did not know about the Dis or at least my parents didn't
We haven't been back to DLR since but we did go to WDW 2 years ago
We found the Dis about 6 months before the trip and my mom had a account before me...
Well it did deffinately change the structure of our trip but I don't think it did enough...
We are going back to DLR in 5 days and I'm almost confident that on this trip we will be more time efficent to get every dime out of our trip!

Life before DIS = BORING!!! It is fun to live vicariously through others' trips and memories between trips.

All three of my prior trips were before the DIS. In 1989 I waited for 2 hours to ride Splash . . . if that tells you anything! Yikes. The 2 subsequent trips were enjoyable, but I'm dying to put all the DISboard knowledge to the test when we go this November.

Can you believe that I've never gone on Peter Pan?!? Who knew it would be a must-do ride for so many. DISers, that's who!

My daughter and I first visted DL in 1997 with my XH's sister's family. That trip was a nightmare. I'm still glad I got to go though. lol Then we were back for a school trip in 05. That trip wasn't a lot of fun either due to one particular chaperone. Then I get to planning a trip to DL for my daughter's sweet 16 in 06. That's when I found the Disney forum(s) Wow what a difference!

I tried to pass on some of my knowledge to the friend I traveled with in March. I've never been to the park with someone who is unable to embrace the Disney magic. Had I not known some of the things I've learned (and elsewhere) it could have been an even worse trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter