Your layouts...

hopemax

Note to Self:
Now that I'm actually managing to accomplish some layouts, I remember why it's hard to do them. They seem to take forever. Actually, getting the layout, mats and photos done is pretty quick, but the "finishing touches" seem to take FOREVER. Especially, titles. Love them in books, hate making them. I have two Sizzix alphabets, and I like using them, but you can only use the same two alphas so much. I print a bunch of stuff, but I like the dimension cutouts have, and sometimes the colors I want aren't really printable (last night I did yellow, on black). So questions...

How much time does it usually take you per layout?

Are you a fan of titles?

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut :badpc: :rotfl: )

What is the hardest part about your layouts?

What do you like to use to fill in the space?

Any other comments about building layouts?

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper...

How much time does it usually take you per layout? it usually takes me anywhere from 2 to 6 hours to do a two page 12x12 LO

Are you a fan of titles? I LOVE titles!! I dont do any kind of journalling so this helps tell the story.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut :badpc: :rotfl: ) While I do have a cricut with 5 cartrages, I love using stickers, rub-ons and most of all Chipboard! This helps to mix things up a bit.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? To me, the hardest part about a layout is picking out what colors to use.

What do you like to use to fill in the space? I usually dont feel the need to fill up all of the space. Sometimes less is more.;)

Any other comments about building layouts? I have found that even when I come up with "the perfect LO", it never looks exactly like what I had in mind. Sometimes its worse, but most of the times its sooo much better. I just go with what feels right.

How much time does it usually take you per layout? Depends whether I know what pictures I'm going to use - i'd say average 1/2 hour, but if I get stuck it can take a whole crop to do one page :rotfl:

Are you a fan of titles? Must have titles! I don't have a title that is the only thing on a page though - I do 12 x 12 albums mostly and those pages have to earn their keep!

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut ) No, I don't have cricut or sissix - i use CM letters stuck onto the page or a banner, or very occasionally I print something (but I've not perfected that yet). I need some more funky letters, or bigger letters - I've got one Perfect Grey (?) alphabet but the letters are so huge I'm a bit scared of them

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Finding something different, and being brave enough to mix patterns and colours (love CM power palette for taking the decisions for me!). And being ruthless with photos - how can I reject any photo of my precious boys?:confused3

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Sometimes shapes, with or without related stickers on them. I've only been scrapping a year so I rely a lot on layouts from Cm books etc. We don't get many scrap mags over here

Any other comments about building layouts? Sometimes I can't find room for as much journalling as I'd like - DH says that's a good thing!

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper... :rotfl: I get so mean with paper - it takes a lot to put a whole sheet on a page (so what am I saving it for - I bought it to use it!) - somehow that seems extravagant, and I'm a great one for cutting the middles out of photo mats so I'm not wasting any paper - and I've got stacks! I think serendipity squares were invented by someone like me who can't bear to throw away any tiny bit of paper :blush:

How much time does it usually take you per layout? 30 minutes to 30 days

Are you a fan of titles? Yes but I also have issues actually making them.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut ) Sizzix (I have 4 sets), printing on paper and vellum, purchased ones, printing on paper and then cutting them out the old fashion way.

What is the hardest part about your layouts?I have to many pictures for 2 pages

What do you like to use to fill in the space?bulky embellishments

Any other comments about building layouts?I use the Creating Keepsakes Sketches books. They help me look at ways to use lots of pictures or just 1 picture. If you have sketches turn them too. I have a lot of landscape pictures but a lot of layouts are done portrait style so I turn the sketch to fit what I need.

I need to journal more but I hate my handwriting. I have journaled a bunch of pages but I think I'm going to redo them on the computer. I also tend to not finish a page because I don't have a title or journalling done so they sit and wait for months.

How much time does it usually take you per layout? Anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.

Are you a fan of titles? Love them...stress over them.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut ) Not a Cricut, but DH bought me a Wishblade for my birthday, so I'm using it lots. I also use stickers or print out my titles onto cardstock.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Choosing my colors and making the commitment to use that one perfect sheet of paper

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Sometimes nothing. I love stickers, and I've recently discovered the wonderful world of embellishments. A matted journaling section is a great space filler.

Any other comments about building layouts? I used to obsess over what I thought was the "right way" to scrapbook. My layouts are much easier now that I've thrown all that out the window. The perfect scrapbook for me is one that I want to look at, which isn't necessarily the most creative or most interesting according to current standards.

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper... Welcome to the club!

How much time does it usually take you per layout? Anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple of hours- It normally depends on how many of the embelishments I have ready to go and what I have to make. Also if I already created my titles it is a lot easier.

Are you a fan of titles? I use a title on every page or spread. I use my wishblade for the letters(I can use any font)- sometimes I use something that is connected and other times individual letters. I also do some printed- normally it depends on the rest of what will go on the page.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Finding a way to fit everything I want onto the page and getting all the colors to go together. Also just deciding to sit down and do them. I actually enjoy creating the embellishments more than actually scrapping the page.

What do you like to use to fill in the space?If I feel I have extra space on a page I will use an embellishment but I don't worry about having every part of a page filled. I like having the blank spaces. Sometimes I will add a little note as I go back through the album.

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper...
I don't have more than 5 or 6 photos on any 2 page spread. Many of my layouts only have 1 or 2 pictures. I don't scrap that many of my photos just the ones I really feel tell the story. I have yet to scrap a parade or show though and I have a feeling that 12 picture layout may be coming as I do that.

How much time on a layout? From concept to attachment about 1 hour average.

Are you a fan of titles? Absolutely- esspecailly on character pages or if I really want to have something stand out.

If yes how do you make them? Right now I am making a list and going over to the LSS to use the Laser cutter. In the hopefully near future I want a Craft Robo so I can hook it to my computer and do it at home.

What is the hardest part- Making everything fit together. Sometimes I also think filling space can be hard.

How do you fill space? I am making an effort to do more journaling. I know my memory won't be as good someday.

Other comment about building a layout? If something just isn't coming together right I set it aside and do something else. Eventually it will work out. If I am at a crop I ask other people.

How much time does it usually take you per layout? Anywhere from an hour to several days.. depends on my frustration level if it just doesn't look right!

Are you a fan of titles? Love titles..

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut) I have one sizzix set of letters..and my mom gave me a set of Creating Keepsakes discs that has all types of fonts to make titles and such.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? fitting all the pictures on.. I have bunches and them I have to elimintate some.. What I have decided to do now.. is the ones I eliminate will be scrapped into one of the kids' books!

What do you like to use to fill in the space? I like to journal, hate my own handwriting so I usually computer generate them!

Any other comments about building layouts?I love to mat my photos...and I love to add embellishments!

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper... My problem is choosing colors.. I so worry about making things look perfect.. I need to toss that idea out and be happy with what I do!!! I'm my own worst critic!!!

How much time does it usually take you per layout? Anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours or even days

Are you a fan of titles? I never used titles before but I'm starting to now

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut ) I have don't have a circut but I use my sizzix, stickers, vellum, rub ons and the computer to make my titles

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Getting an idea or how to layout the page where everything should go. I usually have more pictures then what can fit on the page. Once I get the page setup part down its cake from there. A lot of times my ideas work better in my head then they do on paper

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Journaling, embellishments of sorts

Any other comments about building layouts? I find looking at other people's pages and sketches help me. I can look at someone's page and almost instantly get a page idea that is no where similar to there page at all (strange)

How much time does it usually take you per layout? It usually takes me about 20 minutes, unless I want to do something "crazy". I'm usually pretty simple in my designs.

Are you a fan of titles? Oddly enough, I use them because I feel like I have to, not because I want to. Does that make any sense?

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut )I usually handwrite them in a coordinating color marker. Boy, that seems so, lame. I'd love to say that I cut them out but I just don't have the time or want to spend the effort on one page. The faster they are in my books, the faster they are off my desk. You know?

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Finding the time to get them done! :rotfl:

What do you like to use to fill in the space? I usually leave it blank. Less is more on most of my LOs. I take a lot of pictures so once I get them all on a page, I find there isn't much blank space left. :rolleyes1

Any other comments about building layouts? I like them simple and let the pictures tell the real story. For me, it isn't really about the embellishments :eek: , but the people and places. I mean, that is why I took the picture and printed the picture, right?

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper... I know! I have so many pieces of pretty paper. I have been trying to use it more. As mats or borders. I'm totally into ripping a piece of paper as an embellishment. Neat texture, not a lot of extra confusion.

Great questions!
How much time does it usually take you per layout? Probably 15 minutes to 3 hours, depending.

Are you a fan of titles? Every page will have something that qualifies as a title, even if it's as simple as "Christmas" or just a date but it may not be at the top as a true title, it may be on a tag or box somewhere on the page.

If yes, how do you make? I would say 75% of the time I use letter stickers, and the other 25% of the time I print it out via computer. I have a Sizzix alphabet, but I have never used it for a layout, only for swaps. ;)

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Coming up with the initial plan, or weeding down the pictures to use.

What do you like to use to fill in the space? I use so many pictures I rarely have empty space. If I do, I usually use a tag or a sticker. I'm not big on anything that takes too much time to do.

Any other comments about building layouts? I will take a lot of time to make swap elements, but when it comes to scrapbooking, the most important thing to me is to get the photos and the stories into the albums as quickly as possible and not worry too much about the artistic side to it. That's when the swap elements really come in handy because all the work has been done ahead of time. My layouts are not nearly as elaborate as they could be, but they are enough for me.

How much time does it usually take you per layout? 30 minutes

Are you a fan of titles? Yes

If yes, how do you make them? Sticker letters & Rub Ons

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Balancing photos with journaling

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Sometimes I like to leave the space blank, otherwise I will use flowers, stickers, tags, doo-dads, whatnot!

Any other comments about building layouts? Use the rule of thirds. Look for balance. Assemble products ahead of time & set aside in giant ziploc bags.

My other problem, seems to be that I buy the pretty paper and then I have like 12 pictures on a two page layout, so then you can't see the pretty paper...Use the pretty paper in long strips or blocks and make sure to let it show!

How much time does it usually take you per layout?

~~~ I don't consider myself fast. I can take forever to just pick out the paper I want to use and I agree with you that I also take forever putting on the finishing touches.

Are you a fan of titles?

~~~ Yes! For me, they are a BIG part of my page.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut )

~~~ I don't have a cricut. ;) I use a LOT of letter stickers these days - letter stickers have come a long way and there are TONS of great choices out there now. I also make a lot of titles with my computer. I just use my WORD program and make titles as big or small as I want, use fun fonts, use different colors, then I usually print on white cardstock or vellum. When I first started to scrap, I was enamored with how did everyone make all the fun titles, so I am feeling you on this one! Keep asking questions whenever you see a layout and want to know how someone did that title.

I'm adding in something (Can't believe I forgot this)... I use foam stamps and acrylic paint. Foam Stamp sets are NOT expensive and are a great way to get titles on your pages. I've even bought two foam stamp sets in the kid's craft aisle in Walmart for only $1.50 each. Michaels and AC Moore also have $5 sets. It took me awhile to get the hang of stamping, but the titles are awesome that you can make with them.

What is the hardest part about your layouts?

~~~ Getting everything to match. Added touches. I try to buy a lot of matching paper and products nowadays.

What do you like to use to fill in the space?

~~~ Paper. I love patterns.

Any other comments about building layouts?

~~~ Have you ever tried sketches? I was scared off by them, once upon a time, and now I embrace them. They truly can help. Here's one of my fave sites...
http://www.scrap-maps.com/12x12_5.php

~~~ I also use a LOT of pictures per page. If you find yourself with 6 pictures, try to collage them (butting them up against each other). Sometimes, just to get a paper seen, I will have it poke out on the top, bottom or one of the sides. Don't use a nice pattern if it's mostly going to be covered and just use something plain in that area. I also can sometimes get paper to be shown better by trimming my pictures a little here and there.

Hope I helped in some way! :thumbsup2

Now that I'm actually managing to accomplish some layouts, I remember why it's hard to do them. They seem to take forever. Actually, getting the layout, mats and photos done is pretty quick, but the "finishing touches" seem to take FOREVER. Especially, titles. Love them in books, hate making them. I have two Sizzix alphabets, and I like using them, but you can only use the same two alphas so much. I print a bunch of stuff, but I like the dimension cutouts have, and sometimes the colors I want aren't really printable (last night I did yellow, on black). So questions...

How much time does it usually take you per layout? It depends on the layout. I have some borders that I have premade, so it is always quicker with those. Sometimes the ideas are flowing and I finish a whole bunch of pages at once. Sometimes when I am scrapbooking with friends I am spending more time talking then working on my book.

Are you a fan of titles? Love, love, love titles.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut :badpc: :rotfl: ) I have sizzix with a few alphabets (monkey tails and Girls are wierd are two of my favorites. I also have Quickutz with a few alphabets. I do sometimes use alpahbet stickers too because it is quicker. You can actually get some deals on alphabets right from Sizzix, on Tuesdays there are Tuesday Teasers with some products on sale.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? Sometimes it is coming up with an idea.

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Sticker or shapes that I cut with my CM punches. Creative Memories has some nice Disney paper, albums and a Disney Shape Maker (punch)

Any other comments about building layouts? I try to add some journaling. My dad was once given some pictures of family members from when he was very little, and for some of them he isn't sure who is who. It is always important to add some info to the page.

I tend to put 8 to 10 pictures on a double layout. I need to leave room for the decorative stuff. Sometimes I spread the pictures out over two spreads, add decorative things and a journaling box. I don't always journal, but try to remember how important it will be for others when they look at my albums in future years.

If you are looking for CM products and your consultant has a website you can now order online and have products shipped directly to you. If you don't have a consultant you can PM me with questions or check out my website at www.mycmwebsite.com/vickieblackburn

How much time does it usually take you per layout? WAAAY too much (usually AT LEAST one hour per 2 page L/O... but probably more like 2 hours per 2 page L/O).

Are you a fan of titles? Yes, but I don't put them on every page of a themed album.... but I do put them on every L/O of a "life" album... since every L/O is usually a different event.

If yes, how do you make them? (I just know you people are all gonna say cricut ) No Cricut here.... I have several methods. I use the computer (printed on card stock), rub-ons (my current scrapping "love"), purchased die-cut letters (finding lots of ways to dress them up), Sizzlets (I have 5 alphabets... a big indulgence on my budget, but I use them a lot and have my eye on a sixth), foam letters stickers(the kinds for crafting... gives a childish, colorful look), and rubber stamps. All (except the Sizzlets) are fairly inexpensive and they are all super easy.

What is the hardest part about your layouts? The actual LAYOUT. I use a lot of Becky Higgins Sketches (from Creating Keepsakes). I am not terribly "arty" and getting the actual photo/embellishment positioning right is hard for me. Second hardest would be color selection.

What do you like to use to fill in the space? Tags, squares of color are the two things that come to mind first. But I'm not afraid of white space... but I use lots of photos, so extra space it not usually an issue for me.

Any other comments about building layouts? From what I've seen, it won't matter what colors or extras you use if your photo and journaling arrangement is "off". That is why I like to use BH Sketches.

THanks for asking us to share! I love hearing how other folks scrap...........P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter