Your First 5K - Tell Your Experiences!

TennisGirl80

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone-

I'm doing my first 5K later next month :yay: and I'm just looking to hear others experiences from your first race. So far I've done it (the 3.1 miles) on my treadmill, but have yet to do it outside, so I'm kind of nervous about it. My treadmill is like my blankie in a way - I know how fast I'm going, and I know I wont go to fast and have to stop, or so slow that everyone passes me... etc.

I plan on getting outside very soon - maybe next week after I've done it a few more times on the treadmill (have to wait till it gets warmer too!!!) so I can be more confident.

So anyway, heres a place where you can share your 5K (or even 10K) accomplishments and tales!

Thanks all!!!!

I ran my first 5K in February 2005. It was the Gasparilla Classic 5K which is part of the Tampa marathon weekend. I decided to do it about 5 weeks before and at that point I hadn't run over 1 mile continuously ever.

I got on the treadmill and ran a mile...pretty slowly. 2 days later I ran a little farther, and continued that until I ran 3.1 on the treadmill, it took about 3 weeks.

I noticed once I decided to push a little farther that it was easier than I thought. I started out felling like death at 1 mile but found that each time I told myself to go just .1 mile more I found I didn't feel any worse.

Once I got to 3.1 on the treadmill I mapped out 3.1 miles outside and ran it. I thought running outside would be harder but found the opposite. With all the distractions and without that number staring at you from the treadmill I was able to run the 3.11 about two minutes faster than the treadmill time.

The 5K came and I ran it pretty slowly because I had no idea how to pace myself or anything. The second I crossed the finish line I was hooked. I became a runner that day.

Good luck, I hope you find it as addicting as I did.

My first race was Sept of 2007, the Arsenal City run. A nice flat, fast course. My inlaws ran with me-well my MIL stayed with me, FIL took off as usual. I was a back of the packer then, and MIL stayed with me even though she can run much faster. So I look behind me about 1/2 mile in. Only thing behind me is the AMBULANCE. So I say, is that normal or are they worried the fat girl is gonna keel over? (normal procedure) At the 1 mile marker, I finally pass someone. A guy about 100 years old:lmao:. But I kept going. By the time we are almost finished, FIL is done and looking for us. He sees us and starts waving us in. I just took off in a full out sprint for the last 200 yards, FIL yelling and MIL pulls up so that I can finish before her. I was never as proud of myself as I was that day. And I was hooked.

I did almost all my training on the treadmill, but now, having been running for 2 years, I HATE treadmill running! Outside lets you change up your pace, speed up when you feel you can, slow down when you need to take it easy.

Good luck you will do great!!!

My first 5k was the Bastille Day run in Chicago. I trained early, then stopped for an injury so I couldn't run the whole thing but I ran about 2/3 of the way. Being July in Chicago I was worried about heat, but it was a rainy day and about 1/2 way through the sky just opened up. It was so much fun running in the pouring rain.
The best part was that I saw 2 women running with umbrellas:lmao:

Great thread! I would love to run my first 5k sometime this year as well. Thanks for sharing, everybody, and would love to hear more!!:thumbsup2

So I look behind me about 1/2 mile in. Only thing behind me is the AMBULANCE. So I say, is that normal or are they worried the fat girl is gonna keel over? (normal procedure) At the 1 mile marker, I finally pass someone. A guy about 100 years old:lmao:.

Your story made me burst out laughing. I would like ot run my first 5k this June and having not seriously run in 12 years + 2 kids + substantial weight gain I can't help but wonder if this "fat girl" is going to be the last one in? I mean I can see being followed by a golf cart/sag car ready to collect my melted flab off the road. I'm hoping that in the next 7 weeks I can work up to at least running 1.5 miles non-stop, and doing the next 1.5 mi at a brisk walk (whihc isn't too hard).

Your story made me burst out laughing. I would like ot run my first 5k this June and having not seriously run in 12 years + 2 kids + substantial weight gain I can't help but wonder if this "fat girl" is going to be the last one in? I mean I can see being followed by a golf cart/sag car ready to collect my melted flab off the road. I'm hoping that in the next 7 weeks I can work up to at least running 1.5 miles non-stop, and doing the next 1.5 mi at a brisk walk (whihc isn't too hard).

I neglected to mention that I passed A LOT more people as we went along. Many folks start out gangbusters and then fizzle out because they cannot maintain the pace they started at. Don't worry about being last-someone has to be, but finishing is all that matters. Remember the WISH motto-

DLF (dead last finish) beats DNF (did not finish) which always trumps DNS (did not start)

Good luck! I bet you will do better than you think!

My first 5k was Race for the Cure in Philadelphia in 2007. I had worked up to running about 5 miles on the treadmill (0 incline) and don't remember ever running outside before the 5k. I ran with a friend and for me we went out waayyy too fast. My friend insisted on staying with me and was running "slow" to stay with me. I was running "fast" because I felt guilty about slowing her down. My 2nd 5k was run about 5 minutes slower than my first, and I enjoyed the experience sooo much more. I would definitely recommend that you venture outside for a few training runs before your 5k. I would also recommend not going out there with a serious time goal and just enjoying the experience. You will enjoy the experience so much more if you're not struggling. Have fun! I was hooked after my first 5k:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter