Your Disney Storm Stories

ArcticCat

Mouseketeer
I am what you would call a "Storm Chaser", now made famous by the Discovery channel. Yes, I'm one of "those" guys.Anyways, I love seeking out tornadoes and nasty storms for filming as well as developing early warning systems. Anyways, My first and only trip to WDW was in March of 09. We stayed at the CB resort then. We had storms all around us that day with tornado warned cells... needless to say I wanted to go spotting, but my wife would have beaten me...

Well, I believe our next trip will be in March of 2012 and we will be staying at the campground in our Popup. I have ridden out some storms in it... most at night, which does not make a storm chaser feel easy... cant run from what you cant see!!!

I'd love to hear about some of your Disney "storm" stories... does not need to be while you were camping, but since I will be going that route this coming year, I figured I'd post it hear.

Ken

A few years ago we had just arrived at Disney and decided we run DTD for the afternoon. The day started out pretty nice. By the time we got to DTD the weather had changed a bit to windy and not so pretty. We had passed by Planet Hollywood headed toward House of Blues when the winds got real vicious and started raining hard real quick,,all of a sudden there were a buncha well dressed, plain clothed Disney employees rolling thru the street rushing everybody into stores and moving everuyone to the back of the buildings.
A tornado had touched down a couple miles from there,,it never made it to us.
Short time later, they let everyone leave,but the rains were pretty rough for a while after.
TA DA ! Thats my story !

Last June (around the middle of the month) we were on our last day and just wanted to get onto the monorail line to wherever it would take us to shop and look around one last time. We were just outside of the Poly when a storm moved in. Typically this wouldn't be a problem, but why I even bothered to write this is that one of the monorail trains broke down on the tracks, shutting down the entire line for an indefinite amount of time. So we were stuck at the Poly and staying in one of the DTD hotels that we had to get back to. So it was hell walking over to the TTC in the rain, then waiting in the rain to not miss our bus.

During our 2004 tent camping vacation at FW, we had just finished setting everything up (we had one of those old cabin style tents), when it started raining buckets so we all ran for the tent. The rain was coming down so hard and fast the roof of the tent started caving in, lightening hit a tree behind our site, so I started shuffling the kids out to the van and then made trips back and forth for the bedding while DH tried to "hold up the tent". When I came back for the last time, the whole tent had collapsed on DH and he was crawling around under it trying to find the door yelling "I CAN'T GET OUT, HELP!!!" It wasn't too funny at the time but now we laugh and laugh about it and have since upgraded to a pop-up so we never have to deal with that again.

:happytv: I love watching the storm chasers and anything on the weather channel! My DH laughs at me whenever he turns on the tv and thats whats on. I must admit, I am the BIGGEST chicken when it comes to storms (he's found me hiding in the pantry with the kids at 3 am, because there was a tornado warning!).

I have not yet been to disney, but am looking forward to it in Septmeber! Hope there is nothing major as we will be staying in our pop-up!

summer of 2007 when we went to florida, i think it was our 2nd to last day. they kept saying a hurricane was coming and to stay in doors. it was supposed to make land fall that night and last until the morning. Let me tell you, it sure did storm. we had wind blowing like crazy, the trees looked like they were gonna fall over, thunder, lighting, tornado warning. I was terrified, i hate thunderstorms, so a florida hurricane was 10 times worse. the next day we went out and surveyed the damage. If i had pictures I would post them, but i don't have any

Back in the late 90s my wife and I were at Typhoon Lagoon when a large thunderstorm rolled in. The lifeguards made everyone get out of the pools and move under the picnic shelters. The lightning was striking the lightning rods on top of the buildings and even struck a Palm tree next to the shelter. Several adult guests were even crying. After about 20 minutes it blew over. It was exciting!

I don't remember ever being at WDW when tornado warnings were out, but MANY times we have been there when the afternoon storms blow up and the lightening was incredible. Incredibly close :scared1: and incredibly often.

j

Two years ago in July, we were over at the Wal-Mart off 535 getting supplies. When we came out, the sky was green and the wind was actually bending the palm trees in the parking lot. I told my wife to get in and we made a dash back to the Fort. When we got in the trailer, it was announced that a tornado had touched down just about a half mile from the Wal-Mart. Apparently we had just gotten out in time. We never really did get much of anything that day at the Fort thank goodness!

Not a tornado, but my wife and I were tent camping at Fort Wilderness during Labor Day weekend in 1985 when Hurricane Elena was hovering off the West coast of Florida. We were awakened early Sunday morning by Fort Staff and told we had to evacuate the campground.

They had us go to the second floor of the Contemporary where we got to "camp out" indoors. They provided soft drinks and movies for us refugees. Courtesy suites were even provided for us to shower and change.

The hurricane eventually moved on and we were able to head back home.

I once lived in Florida (New Port Richey) when I was a munchkin. We rode out a few hurricanes. . . Maybe thats where I got my love to seek out mother natures fury.

Still scratch my head that we lived so close to Disney and we never went, not that we had the money then.

Ken

Dec 2007 we were staying POR with my mom and our little ones slept thru a Tornado that hit overnight just to the North of us! Got up went out to stretch and the grounds were a mess. Asked one of the CM's about it and was just amazed that we had slept thru that type of storm....Shawnpirate:

Not a storm, but, we were at DL when they had an earthquake. I woke up at 2am to the bed moving. Frank slept right through it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter