Your comments and opinion is truly needed!

wdwdancerwannabe

DIS Veteran
Hello, my scrappin' friends....

as I was looking through old photos of my 7 year old - I realized that I had a TON of pics of my daughter and a friend that she has had since she was two (her mother and I have become very close these past years) It occurred to me that a 5 year friendship for a 7 year old is a long time. And further more, I suddenly became worried about how much longer they would be friends as they got older. You know how kids can be - especially girls - once they get to be 10 or so they really start migrating to little groups....and I worry - yet accept - that this may happen.

So with that, I have decided to do a Scrap Book of JUST these two girls. It will start at age 2 .... and I will continue to add to it through the years as long as their friendship will allow me to....WHO KNOWS? I may be adding pics of them together for HS graduation ---- we never know.

I've written this letter to the girls for the first page of the book - and I want your true, honest opinion. I don't want it to sound pessimistic - but I want it to be honest and true to what usually happens down our road/paths of life.

....here it is....I BAWLED when I wrote it.

A Story of Friendship
Dear Gaby and Torrie,
Enclosed in this book you will find captured memories of Birthday Parties, Christmas Holidays, Celebrations, and the Early Childhood of two beautiful, vivacious, and curious little girls.

The purpose of this book is not only for you to be able to look back at these moments as growing friends, but also to acknowledge the reality that friendships from our Early Childhood Years sometimes fade as individuality develops and independence grows. We, your parents, understand that going your seperate ways may be in your future, but we want you to remember the true friendship that you had as little ones. We hope that you take with you the meaning of friendship that you have learned from eachother. With this said, it is our hopes that your ever growing friendship allows us to continue to add to this book through the years. We wish for you a life long friendship that will continue to grow with faith, love, trust and happiness.

All Our Love,
Mommy and Daddy

I like it!!! :)

My DD has had friends like that.. now in 8th grade they barely speak to each other... different circle of friends.. DD has watched this little girl be bullied by the "in" girls... and my DD just feels for her friend but the friend just thinks that is the way things are suppose to be.. My DD on the other hand doesn't hestiate to stand up for herself and tell these girls where to fly..and the circle of friends she has does the same thing to this group of so-called "in" girls; the do not allow the "in" to bully them... My DD has a core group of friends that are amazing... I hope they remain as close in HS as they do now...

I personally only talk and have remained best friends with one girl from HS..and we still talk weekly if not every other day... and especially via email...

The friendships of youth are very precious!!!! I think what you are doing is fabulous!!!!

Thank you so much for your reply - it is exactly this that I am afraid of....not that they drift - I'm OK with that - but that they (or one) drift to the 'wrong group'.

I think the reason why I'm so worked up about this is due to the thing in Florida/You Tube/My Space - the Cheerleaders who beat up that girl.

I want SO MUCH to protect my children from BEING the bully AND from being BULLIED....I even work for the school district (up to 5th grade) --- and it still scares me to death to think what is in store for my children...i just want to protect them and I know I can only do so much......

thanks for reading....

Yep!! All we can do is do our best and know that we did our best..

We all have our guard up... raising kids in today's world is very scary... but having good communication will have a big impact on her future decisions... You'll be surprised that when your DD is about 14 how open she'll be if she knows the door is always open to mom and discussions...

I like it, I hope they can keep their friendship alive through the changes. If not it will be a wonderful memory of the simple, untarnished times.

I unfortunately don't speak to anyone in school. My 2 BFF's in high school were boys but romance got in the way of those friendships and now none of us speaks to the other.
I met my hometown BFF when we were 18 but have been drifting apart since she married loser boy. And my online BFF, is PrincessNancy96 but we have never met in person. I hope we are BFF's til we are 101!!

I really like this idea, I may have to make an album for my daughter.
She will be 21 on Monday. She has had the same best friend since she was 2- they met in the church nursery. They have had their times of hurt feelings, busy with other friends, boy friends, etc. but have remained "constant" friends. We are so proud of them and how they have treated each other through the years. Even with different interests developing and other friends coming and going, they have been there for each other. They may not see each other constantly, but can count on each other. I'm so thankful my daughter has had and is a good friend. They are together tonight at a concert celebrating! They have a Disney trip planned for May. (and didn't invite the Mom's......)
Tonight, I had dinner with 12 friends from high school. I had not seen 4 of them in... get this.... 24 years! 3 of the girls, I talk to often and sometimes daily- we live 30 minutes apart. We emailed and called everyone we had numbers for, picked a date, and had a great time. Small class-34! During dinner tonight, we talked about how the 2 of us, had been friends for 37 years ( I don't feel that old!)- in and out of each others lives, college, marriage, kids, but still friends.

I think your album is a great idea! Friends are important!

I have zero contact with ANYONE through my high school/elem. years...

of course, I went to 3 HS's so that could be part of it.

I didn't even go to the reunions (it's been 17 years) --- oh! jeez i'm getting old!

I like it, I hope they can keep their friendship alive through the changes. If not it will be a wonderful memory of the simple, untarnished times.

I unfortunately don't speak to anyone in school. My 2 BFF's in high school were boys but romance got in the way of those friendships and now none of us speaks to the other.
I met my hometown BFF when we were 18 but have been drifting apart since she married loser boy. And my online BFF, is PrincessNancy96 but we have never met in person. I hope we are BFF's til we are 101!!

You know it BAMB!!! :) We've got too many kids to get out of our houses!!! No way are we doing this alone!!!:dance3: :rolleyes1 popcorn:: :surfweb:

Oh grief, I am only 21 yet I have zero contact with anyone from elementary unless you count that my entire class added each other on facebook so we can nosy into each other's current lives! I know my best friend from that time now has 2 small children but only because her grandma lives around the corner from my mum and they bump into each other now and again.

I have regular contact with only 1 person from high school and she is still my best friend and maid of honour at my wedding. We live in cities at opposite sides of the country but these days with texting/email/msn that's not so hard. My bachelorette party at Disneyland Paris falls on the 10 year anniversary of us meeting for the first time, 1st week at high school. Bet if you'd have asked us back then we'd never have seen that in the future! I was planning on working towards Oxford University... plans change big time huh?

Back to the topic, I think it's a wonderful letter and not at all pessimistic.

I think it's a neat idea but one that also faces the reality. My son who is only 9 has been friends with this other little boy since Kindergarten. We have grown close as families, but I also can see that they may drift apart, mostly for the choices of friends, you know? Right now they have similar values, but I can also see in this other little boy that he is getting into other things that my son is not. So, while I hope their friendship lasts, I have to face reality. And I just hope that we stay friends as families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter