Your Average Mile?

TennisGirl80

Mouseketeer
Hey again!

I just started full out jogging (no more 4 minutes walking, 6 minutes jogging, etc.) and I was wondering how long your average mile takes you. Right now, I'm at about 12-13 minutes per mile, and I don't know if thats good, great, or totally laughable! What do you do, and how long have you been jogging for?

Thanks!!!!

When I started running it took me about 10 minutes for a mile. Now my normal training time hovers between 6:50 and 7:10. My normal 5K time is around 6:10 and I am just below 7:00 for a half. I have no idea what I can do for a marathon yet but I'll let you know in October.

Remember it doesn't matter how long it takes you to run the mile, just that you have done it.

Not laughable at all. People have different paces, of course, but I think you're doing well. It sound as if you're walking 1/3 and running 2/3 of the time, so your pace figures your walking into that. And you will steadily get faster for the first couple of years, if that's a goal of yours.

Are you sticking with a R/W plan or just beginning one? If you're beginning, you might like to check out the thread that mentions C25K (couch-to-5k), as it has other runners who are moving from RW intervals to running. It's a great support thread. :thumbsup2

To answer your question, I run at shorter distances at between 10-11 mm. For longer distances, I incorporate RW intervals (depends on distance/event) and hit 12-12:30 mm. I've been running, with time off for injuries, about 1 1/2 years. I'm okay with being a back of the packer and am more focused on distance than speed.

FireDancer is much speedier, but I think 12-13 minutes is a totally respectable time. My Team in Training group usually did 12:30 miles for our group runs, but now that I've been running for a year, I can get below 10 minutes if I'm really pushing myself.

I've been told to work on the endurance first and then the speed will follow, but it's hard to be patient when you see others running faster and you start comparing yourself to them. Just remember that everyone has their own pace and there's still room for your to improve your pace as you continue to train (if that's what you want to work on). I think you're doing great!

About 13min (maybe 13:20) but that's on a treadmill. Too darn hot to run outside... plus I haven't figured out how to do it and carry water/keys

Thanks for your replies everyone. I was just outside talking to a neighbor of mine whos been running for 8 years, and she said that she does about a 11 or so minute mile, so I think I'm doing just fine!!! Plus the fact that I'm only 5'1 with short legs, and with the weight that I'm at (I'm losing it!!!!) I'm really proud of what I'm doing.
Thanks for your posts though - its good to know that everyone starts out pretty much where I am.

ETA - I want to check out the Couch to 5K - is there a book or a dvd or anything that I can use as well?

I am proud of you to read of your accomplishment! You are doing great! Congratulations!

To answer I am quite slow. I do the distances at about 15 minute miles. I think I am doing fine and for me this is great. I've done 4 marathons and more than 5 half marathons at this pace.

You can find the Couch-to-5K Running Plan here.

You can find the current WISH C25K program thread here.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

You are doing great!

Well now I feel good & I feel terrible-- I walk/jog/run a mile in about maybe 15 minutes. I am trying really hard to get that down-right now my basement where my treadmill is -is under construction. So I am just working right now on how long I'm on there -average 30-40 minutes but yesterday I did 65 minutes...

I'm going to say around 9-11 minutes. I'm much more of a distance runner and I haven't timed my mile in a long time, so I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Agree with everyone so far 12-13 minutes is fine for just starting out. In my experience the speed comes naturally the endurance takes work.

I started last spring at about a 10-11 minute mile and now almost a year later train at right around an 8 minute mile and can push it down into the 7's for less than 5 miles.

I started out (this time) in late 2006 and was probably good to be in the 13 - 14 minute per mile range. Now I'm 40+ lbs lighter and with lots of miles under my belt I train on long runs in the 11 - 12 minute per mile range, although last weekend I got below 10 minutes per mile for an average pace for the first time in a race with a 5K race finish of 30:20. Even now I am still more concerned about overall endurance and losing the next 40 lbs, than with time, but I am encouraged that my times will keep decreasing also.

I started around 10min/mile last year. Got down to 9:30 by last summer and this year I do 8:30 for long runs. My fast miles are probably around 7:30 but I can't keep that up for long.

If I was going to go out and just try to jog a mile and that was it, I would probably be able to do 8:45-9:15 for a mile but seeing how I am really focused more on the endurance level as well, my time as been hovering around 13 minute miles. Usually when doing one of my halves, I will jog a 10 minute mile and then walk at a 15 minute pace and then do a combination of the jogging and walking through out the rest of the race. My best times will be in the middle of the race. For some reason, it takes me that long to get everything warmed up and not hurting anymore. But those last couple of miles still hurt.

Keep training! You are doing great!
Bryan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter