Your Autism Spectrum Child....avoider or seaker or both???

Zoemakes5

<font color=deeppink>Support me in my Disney mania
A few other posts recently got me to thinking. My Aspie boy is both a seeker and avoider. He seeks certain sensory input, particularly deep pressure, "thrill rides", dizziness, and "light touches. He is quite sensitive, though, to loud and/or discordant sounds, hot, cold, tired, hunger and certain textures. And, is fairly unpredictable as to the when/why/how/trigger.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but my son is an Aspie.

My DD has "autistic tendencies" (not enough to diagnose, but some issues there). She particularly has issues with certain textures, has most of the other sensitivities as her older brother. She also seeks the thrill rides, diziness, and light/feathery touches ("tickle my back dad, tickle my back!"). Oddly enough, she also seeks out really loud music frequently, but it has to be her wanting it loud and the music she wants to hear, or that's it!

So, how 'bout you??

My daughter has a mix of sensory issues as well. For the most part, though, she is constantly seeking input. She does a lot of touching and has been known to throw herself on the floor just to get what she needs. She is hyposensitive and rarely seemed to feel pain when she was a toddler. I wouldn't know she was hurt unless she was bleeding! She also had no meaningful speech until she was three. Once we began addressing the sensory issues her language began to blossom. She just turned five and we are finally having conversations (albeit short ones) with her. She is, however, very sensitive to crying and once reached out to smack a baby because the crying hurt so much. She is very smart and wants desperately to communicate with the world. We are very proud of her.

My ds12 is also an Aspie. He has certain sensory issues with clothing - no tags on shirts, no seams on socks, necks need to be loose on t-shirts, etc. He also has issues with textures of food - basically only eats white processed foods - bagels, pasta, pizza, white bread, etc. One other thing that has always been a constant is water. When he was younger he would have 3-4 baths a day some days. Water has always calmed him down. Just last week when we were at the YC he had a great time at Stormalong Bay. One of his favorite things to do was to stand under one of the waterfalls and just let the water fall all over him.

Ds has music (The Beatles) on in his room at all times - his choice. As soon as he gets in the house the pants come off and he walks around in his boxers. Once his hair starts getting below his ears he *needs* to have it cut or it will drive him crazy!

We are able to redirect him sometimes but there are other times when we have no idea what sets him off. At Disney last week he had a complete meltdown on the Mexico ride after he found out it had changed - sat in the seat with his head down, very angry, and weeping.

But we are seeing MAJOR changes in him since we switched schools the end of March! :)

Jill

My autistic DS(9) is both sensory-seeking and sensory-avoiding; depending on what the "sensation" is! :goodvibes

He is very sensitive to loud noises and to fire; so he does not enjoy fireworks. He also considers getting a haircut and having his nails trimmed to be excruciatingly uncomfortable ordeals.

But, he seeks out spinning, bumpy, and fast sensations; so he does enjoy Test Track, all the coasters, Star Tours, Mad Tea Party, etc.

Sometimes it's just a matter of keying in to his perceptions and trying to make his environment as over- or under- sensitizing as needed.

Keeps life interesting, that's for sure!

Kathy

My daughter, age 4 w/classic autism, is for the post part a sensory seeker. She loves deep pressure, dizziness/spinning, the sensation of moving (car, rides etc...), being upside down but she does try to avoid light touches, certain food textures... Most loud noises don't bother her except at Disney she did not like Spectromagic or the fireworks.

My lata little sister was not on the Autism spectrum but she did have some sensory issues. Mostly, she was an avoider. She hated certain food textures, her hair or scalp being touched (though she was okay with hats), she was extremely ticklish, while she loved to swim, the surface of the water always tickled her, and sometimes she had to get out and calm down. She hated loud noises, and certain food textures. She did like deep pressure- like very strong hugs, and such, especially on her hands.

I only have ADD (I'm not on the "spectrum"), but have some sensory issues as well (though I've learned to deal with alot of them). I'm mostly an avoider. I dislike loud noises (or as most people who know me tell me- anything that's not a really quiet noise), bright lights, certain textures, especially paper. When I'm writing, I have to have something- usually cloth from my shirt or sweatshirt, between the hand that's writing and the paper.

I love small dark spaces. When I was little, I often hung out under tables, or under clothing racks at stores (drove my mother crazy), and sometimes at home if I got overstimulated, I sat on my bed pulled my covers over my head, and covered my ears. I called it my "shell", and spent probably a tenth of my waking time under there. I also tend to avoid light touch, but deep pressure is okay. But mostly it's lights and noises for me.

My DS is very hypostimulated...very low arousal. He is an avoider of all things. Hates loud noises, movement, certain textures, tastes, temps...he seeks security from all this stuff at all times. Many think he is timid...which he is, but I think that it has more to do with his sensory issues.

My daughter has a mix of sensory issues as well. For the most part, though, she is constantly seeking input. She does a lot of touching and has been known to throw herself on the floor just to get what she needs. She is hyposensitive and rarely seemed to feel pain when she was a toddler. I wouldn't know she was hurt unless she was bleeding! She also had no meaningful speech until she was three. Once we began addressing the sensory issues her language began to blossom. She just turned five and we are finally having conversations (albeit short ones) with her. She is, however, very sensitive to crying and once reached out to smack a baby because the crying hurt so much. She is very smart and wants desperately to communicate with the world. We are very proud of her.

This sounds EXACTLY like my daughter!!

My DS7 was recently diagnosed with HFA and he is a little bit of both.

He doesn't like loud sounds (school fire alarm used to send him into hysterics), he has issues with clothing and food, there are only a handful of foods he will eat and if they are in any way mixed he won't touch them.

He does like to spin and hang upside down but he won't go near a roller coaster. He likes the tea cups, the merry go round, and anything that just spins on a flat surface...and he wants me to join him on these...I come off so dizzy I'm ready to return my lunch and he gets off as if he was on a straight line the whole time.

He also does the shell thing. He much prefers to lay under a table with the lights out to watch tv, and when he gets upset he hides under blankets, clothing, or anything that can go over his head. When we are out in busy places he prefers to ride in the stroller with the cover over him.

So he's a little bit of both.

I am an avoider and a seeker.

I love water and I swim fairly well. I like to express my feelings with looks and body language. I DONT like being sideways though. It creeps me out and that is why I dont like TT. I dont like it when people touch my hands,chest, or face at all but foot rubs feel great. Soarin is my Favorite ride at Disney aside from Peter Pan. I dont like boats at all unless they are on a track but if they are steared you know I am not going to ride it unless it Jungle Cruise. Noises like rain hitting the roof annoy me and thunder scares me. I take things personaly most of the time. Though I never want to go into an airplane I like to fly and have air time. I love speed and the best part of Kilaminjaro Safaries is when they go really fast at the end.

I am an avoider and a seeker.

I love water and I swim fairly well. I like to express my feelings with looks and body language. I DONT like being sideways though. It creeps me out and that is why I dont like TT. I dont like it when people touch my hands,chest, or face at all but foot rubs feel great. Soarin is my Favorite ride at Disney aside from Peter Pan. I dont like boats at all unless they are on a track but if they are steared you know I am not going to ride it unless it Jungle Cruise. Noises like rain hitting the roof annoy me and thunder scares me. I take things personaly most of the time. Though I never want to go into an airplane I like to fly and have air time. I love speed and the best part of Kilaminjaro Safaries is when they go really fast at the end.

Hi. How old were you when you learned to swim? My little girl really loves the water and wants to learn but she won't let go of her teacher.

My almost 7 yr old ds is an Aspie and he is an interesting mixture of both. I call it his sensory pendulum. He swings from one extreme to the other.
He loves the deep pressure. His whole proprioceptive system is probably his most dysfunctional. He has a lot of both fine and gross motor issues.
He loves messy play and sand - and the beach is his favorite. He will also jump into any cold water without hesitation, loves to turn the cold water on in the shower too.
Noise avoidance usually but sometimes he will seek it (for a short time).
LOVES DL and WDW and fast rides are his favorite!

My DS has PDD and loves rides that spin or go up and down. He's gonna love TOT! He's not a big rollercoaster fan, but if they don't go upside down, he's ok with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter