You know how how frustrating we on Dis find people who dont get our Disney Parks Planning?

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
We all know people in our real lives who go to a Disney park without any planning, who never do an research and turn up to the parks without an restaurant reservations, who dont know about the Fastpass systems, and hardly do any rides as the standby lines are 60 plus minutes. These people then come back to us and say, oh I dont understand why you keep going to that place, its too crowded and over priced, we had to go to McDonalds across the street as all the restaurants were full, we spent more time standing in lines than going on rides, we had a terrible time, its not worth it, we wont be going back.

Well THOSE types of people are exactly the same as the Disney families and AP holders who are feeling disappointed with Star Wars Galaxys Edge. If you are a Disney parks person
  • but have never had much interest in Star Wars up to now,
  • if you can only name characters such as Darth Vader, Storm Troopers, Princess Leia,
  • if you have never seen the films,
  • if you only want to buy a light saber for your kid, cos he sees everyone else with one,
  • if you think Star Wars is set in the future and dont understand why Galaxys Edge a desert / Moroccan landscape and dirty and not shiny futuristic,
  • if you cant understand why people would pay $200 for a light saber,
then you will be disappointed and think everything is over priced and not worth the money, and you wont understand the excitement.
Sure if you visit you might think its neat, take a few photos and it will be your one and done.

So just remember, that just because you dont really get the hype and excitement does not not mean that the land wont be a success or that Disney have made a mistake with the theming of the land.

I get this. I know very little about Star Wars but I’m loving the new land for what it is. An Immersive experience.

I get this. I know very little about Star Wars but I’m loving the new land for what it is. An Immersive experience.
exactly, its an immersive experience which will be more enjoyable to some than others. Just like with Disney parks, there are different levels of fandom. Depending on which level you are, you will have different expectations and value.

I actually love it when people go to DL unprepared, it makes my knowledge that much more powerful. If everyone had the same knowledge that Dis'ers have, it would be of no value. If they visit once, and they don't have a good experience, they won't come back, which equals less crowds. All good in my opinion. Everyone doesn't need to love the same things I love.

“THOSE” types of people chose to do other things with their time as is their right. Disney doesn’t appeal to them because it doesn’t fit their non-planning vacation style so fine. They spent a lot of money and now want to vent to the world- they’re gonna wanna find another place to do so. If they honestly want to know what went wrong we tell them, if they just want to be nasty to us about what went wrong and attack us for our likes they will be shutdown around here by mods as that’s not what we’re about. Personally I always hope to help people here so I’m not joining a bandwagon of “if you screwed up your trip don’t judge my trips” because I don’t want to scare people off we might actually be able to help. It’s unnecessary & I think it’s actually harmful, if I was a disappointed newbie I would actually be intimidated by this post & probably move on.

@gottalovepluto
actually what Im trying to do is put a bit of perspective on things, as not everyone is a Star Wars fan and to show that what may be disappointing and over priced and not worth it to some people is the experience of a life time to others

I respectfully disagree. This seems to be in direct response to another post, to which many honest but generally kind responses were given. Personally:

—I have zero intrinsic interest in Star Wars
—I can only name some characters because my son forces me to read the Star Wars Little Golden Books every night before bed
—I’ve seen two Star Wars films, and I fell asleep during both of them
—I do understand why the theming is what it is, but I personally don’t find it uplifting and appealing the way other themed lands are
—And I can think of a dozen other ways to spend $200

And yet. Here I am excited AS ALL GET OUT (or insert other adult word here; I don’t know if swearing is allowed on DIS) to experience this new immersive environment, even if I personally don’t choose to enter Savi’s or fight the crowds at Oga’s. My husband and son are over the moon, and I can’t wait to see THEIR faces whey they see the Millenium Falcon, even if it is just a “hunk of junk” :) I’m doing research out the wazoo to make this trip the best possible and most fulfilling experience it can be, starting over a year in advance. So I have to say I’m a tad offended at being dismissively tossed in the “those people” bucket, as I suspect other nonfans and casual fans may be as well. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

I really just don't focus on why and why not a person wants to visit Disney or doesn't want to.

Misinformation I cringe at when I read reviews for sure but I don't make presumptions such that are being made about the type of person who will be disappointed in a new land especially one like Star Wars.

There are many things I find overpriced at Disney, I am a Disney fan and I do enjoy going to the parks.

I know a person super excited about Star Wars who is disappointed about the price tag for light sabers saying Disney really does cater to a high earning clientele and discussing how that price tag could get a couple more nights at a value. Would you like to make assumptions about their opinion on Star Wars land based on that too?

Reactions: EmJ
oh for goodness sakes,

look Im just trying to put things into perspective, and do a comparison in a way that people would understand. Like the way people think Disney is for kids so why would people who dont have kids go, when as we all know, huge amounts of adults go to Disney.

I know *that* family. It’s my own. Lol Total non-planners in all aspects of life. They still like Disney.

I’m not a big Star Wars fan. I’d never spend $200 on *any* Disney Park souvenir. But my dh is a big star wars fan so I’m planning a trip for him. Even though I won’t *allow* a $200 purchase. 😂 I’ll enjoy the new land. It’s exciting!

Last edited:
I know times have changed,but who remembers 'planning' was gettin a hotel reservation,no fast passes and using 'coupons' to make hard choices on what to ride. Pepperage Farms remembers. ;)
Nowadays people plan down to the minute.

We all know people in our real lives who go to a Disney park without any planning, who never do an research and turn up to the parks without an restaurant reservations, who dont know about the Fastpass systems, and hardly do any rides as the standby lines are 60 plus minutes. These people then come back to us and say, oh I dont understand why you keep going to that place, its too crowded and over priced, we had to go to McDonalds across the street as all the restaurants were full, we spent more time standing in lines than going on rides, we had a terrible time, its not worth it, we wont be going back.
Mm I know that family. That's my family. Or has been up to this point at least...

I know times have changed,but who remembers 'planning' was gettin a hotel reservation,no fast passes and using 'coupons' to make hard choices on what to ride. Pepperage Farms remembers. ;)

well I remember.....though not sure if using a "coupon" is the same as using a "letter"...indeed hard choices...that is why I bought the huge wall map, laid it out on my bed so that my baby sister wouldn't step on the beautiful out lay, if I had it on the floor . I ran my finger all over the paths on that map, stopping at each attraction, writing down the location and compiling all my details on my Roy Rogers writing pad, slowing removing the list and tucking it away in the #1 volume of the Hardy Boys. Then spending Sunday nights to see if Walt would highlight an attraction on my list.

....but then I also remember as a four hour a night basketball player baking potatoes in the oven in the 1970s to supplement by bachelor TV dinner....also heating up in the oven....I had that dinner planned down to the minute!!!!

well I remember.....though not sure if using a "coupon" is the same as using a "letter"...indeed hard choices...that is why I bought the huge wall map, laid it out on my bed so that my baby sister wouldn't step on the beautiful out lay, if I had it on the floor . I ran my finger all over the paths on that map, stopping at each attraction, writing down the location and compiling all my details on my Roy Rogers writing pad, slowing removing the list and tucking it away in the #1 volume of the Hardy Boys. Then spending Sunday nights to see if Walt would highlight an attraction on my list.

....but then I also remember as a four hour a night basketball player baking potatoes in the oven in the 1970s to supplement by bachelor TV dinner....also heating up in the oven....I had that dinner planned down to the minute!!!!
I finally decided I had to learn what an "E-Ticket" versus "D-Ticket" attraction meant. I looked it up and loved the history! I was but a wee lass when the ticket system expired. I can only imagine how I would have planned the perfect use of each and every ticket at my disposal. I love your story!

I definitely understand what OP is trying to say. And I have many of those ppl in our lives who have told us that almost exact story and do not believe me when I say we have never waited more than 30 min for a ride even during the busiest times. They don't see why we keep "wasting our time and money going there". We just say its our happy place and its one of the places we choose to spend our vacation money on.

I also don't think we all love every aspect of both parks. Like if Nemo were to not be there when we go I would not even notice. When Bugs land as removed I remember the thread where ppl were upset but I honestly did not like the land and the ride I disliked most was Hemlich. And yes I have a child and I still never liked it. I would always find a way to avoid going through it.

There are many things at DL I would never pay the price for and I am amazed when I see ppl have purchased. Like I said I have a DD she is now 11 but we never did that BBB packages I never have seen the value in them. I rather go to a few character diners or do other packages.

We all go to DL for different reasons and have different must dos on our lists. We all see value and worth in different things.

... I don’t know if swearing is allowed on DIS)...
It isn't (nor is trying to get around the profanity filter by using asterisks and other ingenious tricks!) -- so I thank you for not swearing and for using family friendly language! :)

Mm I know that family. That's my family. Or has been up to this point at least...
It appears that the genes have mutated for the better and that you are the new and shiny future for your family! (cue John Williams theme music here...)

... We all go to DL for different reasons and have different must dos on our lists. We all see value and worth in different things.
Amen and amen! And everyone can learn to enjoy all kinds of new and different things at DLR -- even things they never thought they'd like and things they don't really know anything about!

I often think of something Len Testa said years ago. People spend the same amount of money on a Disney vacation as they do on other major destinations, but they almost ensure their Disney experience is miserable because they do not plan for it whereas they plan extensively to make sure they accomplish everything they want to in the other major destination.

How many people had miserable experiences because they showed up to the parks 3 hours after opening and then spent 50 minutes deciding what to ride next? That's a really fast way to get nothing done no matter how empty the parks are.

Galaxy's Edge is a very new experience to the Disney parks. We've seen hints of it in recent years (Carsland, Pandora), but never to this scale and never on a franchise that has been beloved for decades. Cars was very new at the time and Avatar was forgotten by the time Disney even announced theme park plans. Star Wars has been around so long that grandparents could conceivably take great grandchildren to see the new movies. I remember telling friends about riding Star Tours for the first time back in 1988 and them saying "did you actually get to meet an ewok?" Well, now you can actually fly the Millennium Falcon. And meet Chewbacca.

Yes, Savi's is expensive, but it's not a plastic toy like we see in Tomorrowland. The lightsabers in Savi's are designed to look real. That's a different experience from the $30 toys sold in Tomorrowland or Target. I understand anyone who says they do not want to pay it. But some of us will pay it because we love Star Wars that much and want that experience.

Back in 2013, I stood in line to meet Thor. I just wanted to see the props from Thor 2 and wanted to see how the recreated the Asgardian throne room. Right in front of me was a gentleman a few years older than me who was living the dream. You could see just how thrilled he was to meet Thor and get to hold Mjolnir (Thor's hammer for those who do not know). I smiled at his happiness because I knew just what it would mean to me to someday have a Star Wars experience in Disneyland. While some of them have already happened with the characters they've made available to meet in Disneyland, I know that Wednesday an even bigger one will take place for the first of many times.

(For me at least) This is definitely more of a WDW thing vs a DLR thing.

I’ve said it before on here that I think experience at DLR gets me the same kind of expectations met that through planning does for WDW regulars. The only planning I’ve ever done for DLR is Blue Bayou reservations and checking the ride closure list so I know what to expect when I’m there. Aside from that, I get a hotel reservation and play the rest by ear. It’s an educated play by ear though. When you’ve been enough times, you learn the flow and can make decisions on the fly. It’s even easier now with wait times in the app and Maxpass. If they would add wait times at security checkpoints to the app, that would be even better. 😉

I however get what BadPinkTink’s gripe is and I agree that complaints about things someone wasn’t prepared for is not always going to be a fair assessment.

SWGE looks like the kind of immersion in the Star Wars universe that I imagined with my first R2-D2 action figure back in 1979 and got my first taste of when I rode Star Tours in the 80’s and experienced lightspeed for myself. SWGE is the next step and I dare say it’s aimed more at the hard core fans than the casual ones. Sure the casual fans can have fun, but for those of us that have been thinking about what it would be like to actually step into the Millennium Falcon for the last 40+ years and got goosebumps the first time we saw C-3PO and R2 in the Star Tours queue, it will be something completely different. This could be lost on someone that isn’t familiar with Star Wars and/or is more interested in rides than immersion.

The prices also do not shock me. This whole land is the Bipity-Bobity-Boutique for Star Wars fans. The $200 lightsabers are not just a grab and go item. It’s an event that allows you to feel a connection to the experience as you build your Jedi weapon and at the end, you get a pretty high quality item (much like the experience my daughter received and the value I felt I got at the Boutique). The same goes for the build a droid shop or even the cantina. It’s not just buying an item in a shop or restaurant; you are playing a part in the Star Wars universe and can partake in and bring home pieces of that universe to keep as reminders of the immersion you get to experience.

I’ll end by asking:
How many of us have complained about the low quality souvenirs at Disney parks over the years? This sounds like the quality items we’ve wanted; and yes, quality warrants a higher cost.
I’m ok with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!