You Get a Suite! You Get a Suite! Everybody Gets a Suite! December 2023 Trip Report! (Updated 4/26!)

So what would others do? A long September trip (and hope the F&W events come back), a long December trip (and really experience Festival of the Holidays...we did a horrible job with that this past December), or two short trips
I would take two long trips😉

I was going to wait until it was official since I didn't want to jinx it, but I am just far too excited about this. We have officially decided to get APs! (of course now that I've announced this watch them stop selling them tomorrow :rotfl2:)

With the release of the 2025 bookings, we ran the numbers, and realized that we could save a lot of money getting APs, and also realized we could save even more if we get them for our upcoming September trip. So we've decided for at least the next few years we will get them since we have a bunch of tentative trips planned (including a *hopefully* Disney cruise!)

We also realized, with that special Disney math, that the trips aren't all that horribly expensive once you remove the cost of tickets (ok, still expensive, but a lot less!), and now we're talking about taking even more random short trips throughout the year to get the most use out of them. Yes, we have a problem. ::yes::

We also realized, with that special Disney math, that the trips aren't all that horribly expensive once you remove the cost of tickets (ok, still expensive, but a lot less!), and now we're talking about taking even more random short trips throughout the year to get the most use out of them. Yes, we have a problem. ::yes::
We all share this problem so it's ok. Plus Disney math is the best math!

We have had an AP since 2014 and have used it most efficiently. :) We've taken non-Disney trips that were both close enough to drive and far enough to fly. After analyzing the costs for non-Disney trips we have found that WDW gives you a lot of "bang for the buck". Things like not having to rent a car and cheap airfare help a lot. But we almost never book a WDW without a resort discount, and most of them are AP discounts.

Yay AP!! And you are doing that Disney math correctly. You simply MUST take more trips. You are, quite frankly, losing money if you don't.

special Disney math, that the trips aren't all that horribly expensive once you remove the cost of tickets
I keep telling my husband this! We are DVC so we can get the discounted APs and I did the math and it is ONLY $300 more to get an AP for him (my DD and I already have them and my son is free for one more year), so I am trying to convince him we should do this and go to Disney JUST before my sons 3rd bday and squeeze in one more free trip with him!
Yes, we have a problem.
No you do not!

We all share this problem so it's ok. Plus Disney math is the best math!
Haha, right? I'm actually pretty surprised at how much it saves, but I guess having multiple trips coming up it makes sense. Of course we're probably just going to spend whatever we save on an extra Disney trip, but it still FEELS like we're beating the system! :rotfl:

We have had an AP since 2014 and have used it most efficiently. :) We've taken non-Disney trips that were both close enough to drive and far enough to fly. After analyzing the costs for non-Disney trips we have found that WDW gives you a lot of "bang for the buck". Things like not having to rent a car and cheap airfare help a lot. But we almost never book a WDW without a resort discount, and most of them are AP discounts.
I get that, while we do other trips, we just keep coming back to Disney. One of my mom's favorite things to say is that no matter how many times we've been to Disney, there is still so much we haven't seen/done. It is pretty impressive how much it has to offer, and we do try to do something new each trip.

Yay AP!! And you are doing that Disney math correctly. You simply MUST take more trips. You are, quite frankly, losing money if you don't.
HAAAA! I like your way of thinking! My goal is 4-5 trips a year, although I need to figure out if I'll have enough vacation time for that....stupid work putting a damper on my AP goals!

I keep telling my husband this! We are DVC so we can get the discounted APs and I did the math and it is ONLY $300 more to get an AP for him (my DD and I already have them and my son is free for one more year), so I am trying to convince him we should do this and go to Disney JUST before my sons 3rd bday and squeeze in one more free trip with him!
Oh wow, that's not bad at all! And definitely fit a trip while the trip is free for your son, that's a lot of savings!
No you do not!
Haha, yeah I'll agree with this. We just love saving money, and the mouse ::yes::

Congratulations on your APs! Disney math is real math! I’ve had my AP since October and I wish I’d kept a tally of food and merchandise savings so far—I’m convinced it’s paying for itself.

Gotta love Disney math… congrats on the annual passes! :woohoo: I dream about getting an annual pass someday. I can’t wait to read all the trip reports!

Thank you for offering to help me understand DAS - my sister-in-law will appreciate it. I have a few DAS questions but also want to confirm how it works (much of which I’ve gleaned off your trip reports!).

Before starting, you make sure that your entire party is linked so everyone can ride together with the DAS person. You sign up for DAS via a link on Disney World’s website and enter a live chat with Disney to confirm your limitations and need for DAS. Once approved you can pre-select some attraction return times in advance.

1. My FIL is likely under my SIL’s MDE account as she and my BIL are setting up the entire trip. As such, should my SIL do the live video chat with my FIL? (I know he needs to be present, but didn’t know if she should be so the DAS is assigned to the correct MDE account.)
  2. For pre-selecting attractions, are you able to pick two total or two each day of your trip? It’s hard to clarify which it is.
  3. Also related to attraction pre-selection, are you selecting a return time or just the attractions themselves? I remember return times from your screen shots but with potentially adjusting return times I’m unsure?
Using DAS in the Park
Once you’re in the park and you’re ready to ride, you go to the attraction you pre-selected for DAS. You let the CM know you’re using a DAS pass, and the CM will either direct you to the LL if the line is short or will give you a return time to come back to the LL if the line is long. Once you’ve used your two pre-selected DAS passes you may choose another DAS pass. The DAS person must ride the attraction to use the pass and they must check into the LL first with their ticket/band (thank you to this trip report for that helpful tip!).

Using DAS in the Park Questions:
  1. For my FIL’s sake, should my BIL or SIL check on the DAS attraction before the whole group goes to ride in case there’s an additional wait? I know my FIL would need to enter the attraction first when they ride but wasn’t sure if others could check with the ride CM first to reduce extra walking for him.
  2. If you get a return time rather than go directly into the LL, does this time adjust in MDE?
  3. Where in MDE do you find the additional DAS pass options? Do you select them from your MDE tip board just like you do with Genie+?
  4. You may not know this, but do you think DAS can be used in conjunction with Rider Swap? My 15-month-old nephew will also be on the trip and there are a few things he can’t ride that my FIL likely would (such as Soarin’ or 7DMT). I would guess that as long as the whole group checks in and my FIL and MIL ride first, that then my BIL and SIL could ride once they’re done?
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help! :goodvibes

Gotta love Disney math… congrats on the annual passes! :woohoo: I dream about getting an annual pass someday. I can’t wait to read all the trip reports!
Thank you! I'm so excited, cannot wait to plan all the extra trips!
Thank you for offering to help me understand DAS - my sister-in-law will appreciate it. I have a few DAS questions but also want to confirm how it works (much of which I’ve gleaned off your trip reports!).
You're welcome! I'll do my best to answer them, hopefully I know most of the answers!
Before starting, you make sure that your entire party is linked so everyone can ride together with the DAS person. You sign up for DAS via a link on Disney World’s website and enter a live chat with Disney to confirm your limitations and need for DAS. Once approved you can pre-select some attraction return times in advance.
Basically yes, just make sure your party isn't too big, I believe it's limited to 6 total people, so the DAS user plus 5 others.
  1. My FIL is likely under my SIL’s MDE account as she and my BIL are setting up the entire trip. As such, should my SIL do the live video chat with my FIL? (I know he needs to be present, but didn’t know if she should be so the DAS is assigned to the correct MDE account.)
I believe it should be fine for your SIL to do it as long as your FIL is there for the photo. So far every time we've done it my mom has done it from her account, but I imagine families with kids who need it likely just have the adult do it from their account.
  1. For pre-selecting attractions, are you able to pick two total or two each day of your trip? It’s hard to clarify which it is.
You can select two per day for each day of your trip. They have a little form you have to fill out where you list the day, attraction, and preferred part of day (morning, afternoon). The choices are pretty limited, and we've found we don't often use the pre-booked ones since they assign you a time so it doesn't always fit in our day.
  1. Also related to attraction pre-selection, are you selecting a return time or just the attractions themselves? I remember return times from your screen shots but with potentially adjusting return times I’m unsure?
So you give them a time of day you would like the pre-selected DAS such as morning, afternoon or night. However you don't actually get to pick a time, the CM will try to find availability around the selected time, but often we've found the times aren't what we requested, especially if we want it in the morning.
Using DAS in the Park
Once you’re in the park and you’re ready to ride, you go to the attraction you pre-selected for DAS. You let the CM know you’re using a DAS pass, and the CM will either direct you to the LL if the line is short or will give you a return time to come back to the LL if the line is long. Once you’ve used your two pre-selected DAS passes you may choose another DAS pass. The DAS person must ride the attraction to use the pass and they must check into the LL first with their ticket/band (thank you to this trip report for that helpful tip!).
With the preselected DAS, you just go to the ride at your return time and get into the LL, you don't need to get a return time for those since you already have one. The day of DAS you do need to get a return time for, and you can either do that in the app (which is easier and more convenient), or you can go to the ride and get a return time from the CM there. You also don't actually need to use the pre-selected DAS before getting a day of DAS either. You can book a day of DAS on your phone in the MDE app once you scan into the park, so you could have three DAS rides lined up right when you enter. You are correct, the person with DAS must ride the ride, and they have to scan in first. Once they are cleared the others in the party can scan in.
Using DAS in the Park Questions:
  1. For my FIL’s sake, should my BIL or SIL check on the DAS attraction before the whole group goes to ride in case there’s an additional wait? I know my FIL would need to enter the attraction first when they ride but wasn’t sure if others could check with the ride CM first to reduce extra walking for him.
If you're using the pre-booked DAS rides, you won't have any additional wait to enter the LL, you just show up at the assigned return time. For the day of booked DAS, I recommend getting those through the app rather than at the ride, it saves running around the park. For the day of DAS there is almost always some wait for the return time, usually it's the standby wait minus 10 minutes.
  1. If you get a return time rather than go directly into the LL, does this time adjust in MDE?
The only time we've ever been sent directly into the LL queue and not received a return time was during a party, I've never gotten an immediate return time for a DAS booked day of so I don't believe it happens often. Both the pre-booked and the day of DAS will have return times you have to wait for to use which will show up in the app.
  1. Where in MDE do you find the additional DAS pass options? Do you select them from your MDE tip board just like you do with Genie+?
Once you arrive on property you will get a DAS button in the app (see below, it's on the bottom left). It doesn't show up until you're on property so don't worry if you don't have it before the trip. You go there to book the day of DAS. All selections will show up in your tip board/my day.
Screenshot_20240103-203545.png
  1. You may not know this, but do you think DAS can be used in conjunction with Rider Swap? My 15-month-old nephew will also be on the trip and there are a few things he can’t ride that my FIL likely would (such as Soarin’ or 7DMT). I would guess that as long as the whole group checks in and my FIL and MIL ride first, that then my BIL and SIL could ride once they’re done?
This I do not know this one, sorry!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help! :goodvibes
You're welcome, I hope my answers helped!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter