You all are going to think I'm stupid...

tammymacb

Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta dow
I've been married to my DH for 10 years. He was retired from the Navy when we met. He'd served his full ( term?) and retired with a pension and military ID. He took me to the Naval base after we married and I got a military ID too.

Well, I guess I had NO idea what benefits the card gave us. For 10 years we've had private insurance through our jobs. ( DH retired in his late 30s- I work in a hospital ) We've always paid copays...I NEVER knew that if I showed my ID we had Tricare standard which paid the copays/deductables.

I only knew that I got a military discount at Disney and Lowes. That's the only reason I carried the card.

What else am I missing? I'm sure there's a lot and I'm obviously way behind the curve after throwing away money for the last 10 years.

Thanks!

YMMV with discounts but this is the latest list I have seen.

Two important caveats. First, some stores offer discounts only at the owner’s discretion and other discounts vary by state. Second, many stores that give a military discount don’t advertise it. It is always worth asking a store whether they have one or not and to have your military ID on you.

A&W – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Aeropostale – 20% off in store, just bring valid military ID
Agentsource.com – Up to 40% off standard real estate closing costs for Active duty men and women moving in the United States or Canada
All State – Allstate Funding proudly offers all U.S. Military personnel a $250 credit towards the appraisal of a residential property. Ends 12/31/2010 American Airlines – Discount varies, requires military ID
American Video Productions -10% off to active duty, retired, families of military and dependents. Call and ask for the discount http://www.americanvideoproductions.net/
Amtrak – 10% off
Anheuser – Busch Amusement Parks – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Anna’s Linens - 10% off any purchase with Valid Military ID in store only Apple Computers - The discount varies, you need to sign up here –
http://www.apple.com/r/store/government/
Applebee’s – Discount varies per location, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you
Arby’s - Discount varies per location, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Ashford University – Discounted tuition at $250 a credit, books are covered for all required courses, waived application fee, waived technology fee and more! Benefits apply to all Active Duty, National Guard, Reservists and spouses, dependents eligible for survivor benefits, plus civilian DOD employees & separated vets/retirees still using their GI Bill.
ASMBA – Armed Services Mutual Benefit Association – Membership in the non-profit association is free, and, when you join, you’ll get $3,000 of free AD&D coverage.
AT&T – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Auto Zone – Varies Per Store - Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Avis – 25% off, online you should use this coupon AWD # A555084
Azamara Cruises – Discounts vary, 800-338-4962 800-338-4962
Back Yard Burgers – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Banana Republic – 10% military discount 1st of every month (may vary by location; in-store only).
Barnes and Noble – 6% off regular price plus free shipping, check out www.bn.com/militarycity
Barnhill’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Bass Pro Shops – 10% off from the 15th to 22nd of each month
Bath & Body Works – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Bed & Breakfast Inns – Varies, online Best Inns and Suites – Varies, must present Military ID with check-in
Best Western - Rates within allowable per diem, must present military ID with check in
Beyond Blossoms - 20% off all flower orders throughout the year 12/31/2010 Big 10 Tires – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Blockbuster – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Boscov’s- 15% off in-store purchases with military ID everyday.
Bronson labratories - 10% off on all vitamin and supplement orders, for active, retired, and reserve and their families Call 1-800-235-3200 1-800-235-3200 or use online code AF2004, ends 1/21/2011
Buckle – 10% off, Free Shipping on all military orders
Budget – Varies, up to 25% off time and mileage Store, requires military ID to redeem
Budget Truck Rental – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Burger King – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Busch Gardens- One day complimentary admission for members of the military and 3 direct dependents in 2010. Here’s to the Heroes
Camino Real Apartments – 5% military discount
Captain D’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Carl’s Jr. – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Century 21 – FREE Century 21 AON Home Protection Plan when they buy or sell a home through Molly Kucharski ONLY paid for at settlement. Value = $399.00, call 1(800) 952-2516 1(800) 952-2516
Champs Sports – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Checker Auto Parts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Chevy’s Fresh Mex – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Chick Fil A – Varies, Discount with ID card (location dependent), discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Chipotle – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Ci-Ci’s Pizza – Discount varies, dependent on location, must present military ID
Cingular – 17 to 18% Discount off your bill and 25% off accessories
Clarion Inn – Rates within allowable per diem while on travel orders. Must present valid miliatry ID with check-in
Comfort Inn – Rates within allowable per diem while on travel orders. Must Present valid military ID with check-in
Coolmilitary.com – 10% off, online, ends 12/31/10
Copeland’s Sports - Discount varies per location
D.S.W. Shoe Warehouse – 10% military discount
Dairy Queen - 10% off, location dependent
Days Inn – Rates within allowable per diem. Must present valid military ID with check-in
Dell Computers – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Denny’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Dick’s Sporting Goods – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Dick’s Sporting Goods – Varies per location
Discovery Channel Store – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Disney Resorts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Disneyland - Military discounts are available only for tickets purchased at installation MWRs. Prices vary per date and length of visit
Dollar Car Rental – Allowable per diem rates
Dunkin’ Donuts – Veterans advantage members save 10% on all online orders. They also send free coffee to the troops oversees.
DZ Web Design – 15% off, discount ends 12/31/2010

Earthly Herbs – 25% off, discount ends 12/31/10.
El Molino Coffee Shop - Free Shipping, online
Express Clothing Store- 10% off on top of other coupons as well with military ID
Extreme Outfitters -10-20% on miiltary Gear, online and in Store

Eyeware - Discount varies, get the discount online at http://www.afeyewear.com/ – This site offers military discounts for a wide range of eyeglass companies

Ford – Discount varies, http://www.encs.com/ford/
Forget me not Jewelry – 30% off, ends 12/31/10. Online, use code militarygen100 at www.forgetmenotjewelry.com
Friendly’s Ice Cream Stores – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.

Gap – 10% military discount 1st of every month (may vary by location; in-store only).
Geico – 2% to 15% in all states except Georgia, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, Tennessee and Texas GM – Varies, always well below MSRP. You can sign in online at https://www.exclusivegmoffer.com/ip-gmpop/initPop.do?program=mpp
GNC – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Golden Corral – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with
you.

Haber Vision – 50% discount on all sunglasses. Online at http://www.habervision.com/CodeResult.aspx?code=JB10222Q Hertz – Allowable per diem rates. Show valid military ID Hewlett-Packard – Log on to website and click on New User Registration: Enter first and last name, user name, password and email address. Use company code: 2727. Discounts vary. Online only.

HickoryFarms.com - 10 percent Military discount – Enter 892848 in code box on online order form
Home Depot – 10% off Year Round, to active duty, active reserve, retired military, and immediate family. In-Store, just bring valid military ID

IHOP – 20% with Military ID at owner’s discretion
Imax – $1 off movie tickets with Military ID
Inkshouse.com – 20% off $50 or more, use cod Mil20
istudysmart.com – Free Shipping for Military Families, Online, 9/15 – 10/14

Java Cafe – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Jeep – $500 for active military, reserves and retired reserves or active after 20 years of service. Requires military ID
Jiffylube – 10% off with valid Military ID Jockey – 10% off with valid Military ID
KB Toys – 15% off during advertised Military Days
KFC – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Kohl’s – 15% off with Military ID
Kragen Auto Parts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.

Lerner – 15% off
Long John Silver’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Longhorn Steakhouse – 10% military discount
Lowes – 10% off year round to active duty, active reserve, retired military, and immediate family. Just bring in a valid military ID. The military discount, however, cannot be combined with other coupons they may be offering.

Marriott Hotels – It’s the Per Diem amount the government picks up, whatever that amount is. Just call and place the reservation over the phone and ask for that discount. Online at
http://www.marriott.com/reservation/worldnum.mi

Mary Kay Cosmetics – Military personnel and dependents receive 10 % on online orders. Reference your service affiliation and status, and ask for additional free gift and bigger discounts by contacting website.
McDonald’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Meineke – 10% off parts Michaels - 10% off every Wednesday.
Midas – 10% off
MLB Hall of Fame – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Movie Theaters – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Mrs. Fields- 10% off with military ID, coupon link
My Cruise Club – 9% off on all cruises, ends 12/31/10, www.militarycruisedeals.com

NAPA Auto Parts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Nautica - 10% off with military ID
National – No fee for additional drivers, and special off duty rates per location. Service members receive full loss damage waivers

National Credit Solutions – 25% discount, call toll free at 866-485-2540 866-485- 2540 x109, and for a direct line please call 972-746-4209 972-746-4209
New York and Company - 15% off military discount
Nextel – 18% Discount, call 1-800-639-6111 1-800-639-6111
Nickelodeon Hotels – Reduced rates and perks, online and in store, www.nickhotel.com/military , 877-NICK-111 877-NICK-111 and ask for the Military Family Package.
Nike – 10% off, In-Store. For official company policy please check out http://www.nikebiz.com/customer_service/discounts.html
Nuvo - $30 off Ritmo Pregnancy Sound System. You can call 1-888-688-6462 1-888- 688-6462 , or use coupon code MILITARY99 online at http://www.nuvo-group.com. Valid military ID required for in-store purchase.

O’Reilly Auto Parts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Oakley – There is a website you register with that offers Oakleys at a discounted price. It doesn’t say how much that price is though. Check it out online at https://secure.usstandardissue.com/

Old Navy – 10% military discount 1st of every month (may vary by location; in-store only).
Pac Sun – Discount varies per location, just bring in a vaild military ID and ask
Panchero’s Mexican Grill – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Pancho’s Mexican Buffet – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Panda Express – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Paradise Bakery- 40% off meals for military members with military ID. Does not extend to family.
Paradise Limousine – $25 Off Limousine Service Coupon Code: 1369 for service members
Pizza Hut – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Play It Again Sports – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Professional Sports teams – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Pure Beauty – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.

Quizno’s – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Race-Depot – 10% off, use code 10MILCITY
Rack Room Shoes – 15% discount. Bring in valid military ID
Raising Cane’s Chicken – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Ramada – 15% to 30% – depending on availability. Must present military I.D. upon check in.
Red Robin – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Regal Movie Theaters – Matinee prices for all show times. Requires Military ID
Ripley’s attractions and museums – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory – 10% military discount Rocky Mountain Tracking – 5% off any tracking inc. Use code USMILITARY, http://www.rmtracking.com/
S & K Men’s Wear – 8% Discount on all items free shipping on orders over $99 & APO/FPO shipping. To access the military site at S&K you must go through their AAFES Exchange Mail Online service. http://bdeal.me/aCVq2X
Sally Beauty Supply – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Samsonite- 15% off with military ID
Sea World -One day complimentary admission for members of the military and 3 direct dependents in 2010. Here’s to the Heroes Sesame Park Place- One day complimentary admission for members of the military and 3 direct dependents in 2010. Here’s to the Heroes
Shoe Carnival – 10% off
Sierra Suites – Rates at or below per diem depending on location. Discounts may vary and depend on availability. Must present military I.
Six Flags Mountain Magic – Service members receive special discounts on admission for special events and specific dates. Tickets must be purchased in advance MWR and ITT 143. Recreation offices, not at the park.
Sizzler – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Sleep Inn - Rates at or below per diem depending on location. Discounts may vary and depend on availability. Must present military I.
Sonic – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Southwest Airlines – Varies, it’s a dollar amount, not a percentage. Not available on all flights, you’ll have to call Southwest and simply just ask.

Spencer’s Gifts – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
SportsMemorabilia.com – 10% off at checkout, use code mili10 online
Sprint Business – 15% to 20% Discount, 1-888-788-4727 1-888-788-4727 Suzuki – $500 off for you and immediate family. Requires military ID
Taco Bell – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you. Texas Road House – 10% military discount Texas Roadhouse – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.
The Finish Line – 20 percent military discount off select items at special locations
The Melting Pot – Discount varies, simply ask and have a valid military ID with you.

Timberland Outlets – 15%, bring in valid military ID Toyota – $500 off + $500 for firs time buyers. Requires military ID
Travelodge – Rates within allowable per diem. Discounts may vary and depend on availability.

The general rule of thumb is to never assume there is a discount but always ask.

When we lived in Maryland, there were 2 Arby's restaurants in the same general area. 1 offered a 50% military discount and the other didn't offer one at all. Here in Georgia hardly any of the restaurants on the list above offer a discount.

ClaraBelle only covered discounts-that doesnt being to cover what you are entitled to as military retirees
access to post and base facilities-comissary, and px-sometimes cheaper than civilian groceries-meat quality in us commissarys is better than most civilian groceries. PX is like Walmart-a little of everything-biggest thing to remember they price match and its tax free-on a big ticket item that can make a huge difference. Gyms, pools, theaters,and community events.
Access to military recreational facilities including the Armed Forces Recreation Centers-Shades of Green at Disney, the Hale Koa on Wakiki Beach, Dragon Hill Lodge in Korea, Edelwiess Lodge in German and the Cape Henry Inn in Virgina along with hundreds of other facilities from camp grounds to lodges all over the world.
Space available overseas travel on military aircraft under some circumstances.
Tricare-Stanidard will NOT cover your co pay and deductibles but it wiill pay as a second payer. If you are near and MTF you can use Retired Prime-there are premiums but it covers almost every thing. Pharmacy -if you fill in a civilian Pharmacy $9 for name brand drugs and $3 for generic-if you fill at an MTF pharmacy covered drugs are no charge.
If you are to Hawaii most attractions have a military discount, as well as most cruise lines have some sailings that are dicounted for military.
If your husband paid into the GI bill and has not used the benefit under some circumstances it can be transfered to a spouse or child
VA home loan eligibility-we are closing on a new home next week at 3.8 percent interest. VA loans require low downs and are assumable when you sell the home. Thats all that comes to mind right now-im sure i will come up with other stuff. Hubby should register with the VA for future medical coverage.

Clarabelle, thank you for that list. So far we have had pretty good luck everywhere we have gone to eat lately, but that hasn't been many places.

We got a 30% discount at O'Reilly's Auto parts the other day, and I have told DH to ask everywhere he goes, but I know he won't rememmber.

We went to a locally owned restaurant last night and the waitress had to see both mine and Dh's Id to give us a discount on both entrees, that is the first time I have ever experienced that.

I think the Commissary is the best thing that has ever happened to me. And USAA Auto insurance, I called last week and saved $600 a year on our Auto insurance.

Dh had been out of the Reserves for the last 5 years and I know these kinds of discounts weren't offered back then, because I asked, being a poor newlywed.

Clarabelle, you would think an area as large and military focused as Columbus would offer more discounts, especially with the new unit they are getting ready to bring into this area. I am amazed at how much Ft. Benning has grown in the 5 years Dh has been out, especially around the area where his unit is.

Suzanne

Heres one that didnt get noted-and doesnt matter much to most folks-but can to others-if you are a NASCAR fan and go to races-NASCAR loves the military-i got 20 percent off all of the Hendricks apparrel i bought-and considering that hubby is a Gordon Fan, im a Jr Fan and my SIL is a Mark Martin Fan we bought a bunch. But the best thing is-we got the headset-they are about 70 dollars a weekend. My SIL had paid for the race tix (hubby was deployed) so i said i would get the headsets. They gave me a 2 for one on those-i thought that was pretty good. They also offer opportunities for watching the races from the pits and stuff-just watch the NASCAR site or the site for the track you are going too.

We ask everywhere. DH is a US Navy Reserve Captain. We got into the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC for free. We went to SeaWorld in 07 and got in there for free (need to fill out form ahead of time). We have gotten discounts at Madame Tussaud's wax museum in Times Square and a few other places. And obviously we stay at Shades of Green and buy our park tickets there.

Heres one that didnt get noted-and doesnt matter much to most folks-but can to others-if you are a NASCAR fan and go to races-NASCAR loves the military-i got 20 percent off all of the Hendricks apparrel i bought-and considering that hubby is a Gordon Fan, im a Jr Fan and my SIL is a Mark Martin Fan we bought a bunch. But the best thing is-we got the headset-they are about 70 dollars a weekend. My SIL had paid for the race tix (hubby was deployed) so i said i would get the headsets. They gave me a 2 for one on those-i thought that was pretty good. They also offer opportunities for watching the races from the pits and stuff-just watch the NASCAR site or the site for the track you are going too.

Thank you for posting this, DH is a huge Nascar fan and we have gone to the last 2 fall races at Talladega. Dh did just re-enlist in Dec, but this will come in handy if we decide to go again in 2011, not sure we will since it has become the Jimmy Johnson show.

I know everywhere you turn there is a concession for each branch, in fact, DH registered on a website for the National Guard and they sent him a Dale Jr hat, he says he'll wear it even though he is a Tony Stewart fan...lol

Suzanne

Clarabelle, thank you for that list. So far we have had pretty good luck everywhere we have gone to eat lately, but that hasn't been many places.

We got a 30% discount at O'Reilly's Auto parts the other day, and I have told DH to ask everywhere he goes, but I know he won't rememmber.

We went to a locally owned restaurant last night and the waitress had to see both mine and Dh's Id to give us a discount on both entrees, that is the first time I have ever experienced that.

I think the Commissary is the best thing that has ever happened to me. And USAA Auto insurance, I called last week and saved $600 a year on our Auto insurance.

Dh had been out of the Reserves for the last 5 years and I know these kinds of discounts weren't offered back then, because I asked, being a poor newlywed.

Clarabelle, you would think an area as large and military focused as Columbus would offer more discounts, especially with the new unit they are getting ready to bring into this area. I am amazed at how much Ft. Benning has grown in the 5 years Dh has been out, especially around the area where his unit is.

Suzanne

We ate at Ezell's Catfish Camp the other day and they have a sign up for 15% off with military discount. We haven't found a single fast food place around here that gives anything though.

Most storage unit facilities offer a military discount as well.

The commissary is great! I'm making the long trek out there later today. :thumbsup2

Suzanne

I've found better discounts away from a large installation. The reason I was given when we lived at Ft. Benning and at Ft. Hood was they would go broke giving it to the military when the military was almost the entire town.

In some smaller towns or smaller installations you get nothing sure but here we have gotten more discounts and more thank yous and more appreciation than near any large installation.

Sea World (or busch gardens) is going to be free again this year :goodvibes I'm not sure if this is for active duty only or not.

Not all military discounts include retired folks so make sure you ask.

When DH retired we had to do something with Tricare (I don't remember what) and we get billed 4 times a year like civilian insurance. We are Tricare Prime, does standard not have to do that?

When DH retired we had to do something with Tricare (I don't remember what) and we get billed 4 times a year like civilian insurance. We are Tricare Prime, does standard not have to do that?
Every one who is not Active duty pays some kind of premiums for Tri-care-thats why i was telling Tammy that she couldnt get standard to pay her co pays. Tri-Care Retired whether standard or prime requires that you pay premiums. We are on Reserve Select-it costs about 200 a month-but still cheaper and better coverage than what we get from employers.

the Sea World /busch gardens promotion includes Guard and Reserves too.

Hello! Cool forum, we are going to DW for our honeymoon in 2 years, happy to find this place.

I found it b/c I was researching how people feel on military discounts. Everyone loves to get a couple bucks off, but I had a question, feedback would be great!

As a military person or family do you think that small businesses that are just starting out should offer one? Do you get offended when a business does not give one? I just opened a store in an army town and I really can't afford to be giving anyone a discount. I have a very small loan and overhead is very expensive. And if they do give one, even if it's a 5% discount, to you look down on them for not offering more?

Thanks guys and gals I appreciate it :D

Hello! Cool forum, we are going to DW for our honeymoon in 2 years, happy to find this place.

I found it b/c I was researching how people feel on military discounts. Everyone loves to get a couple bucks off, but I had a question, feedback would be great!

As a military person or family do you think that small businesses that are just starting out should offer one? Do you get offended when a business does not give one? I just opened a store in an army town and I really can't afford to be giving anyone a discount. I have a very small loan and overhead is very expensive. And if they do give one, even if it's a 5% discount, to you look down on them for not offering more?

Thanks guys and gals I appreciate it :D

I think it is a great idea IF your business can afford it. I was a small business owner for years and did offer a discount to certain groups but honestly not too many took advantage of it.

You could always offer a 10% discount 1 day a week (your SLOWEST day so that you draw in more business) like Old Navy does or have a Military Appreciation month where you give the discount every day during that month (again aim for the slowest month so that you will hopefully gain more customers during that time).

5% sounds low. I've never seen anyone give a military discount less than 10% but 5% is more than 0 and lots of places give that so personally, I would be grateful but some may snub their nose at it. Could you offer a 10% discount with a certain amount of purchase (say 10% off when you purchase $50 or more) or even a discount if the military member is in uniform?

If you do decide to offer a military discount then look into the different military networks for your area. I know that where we live there is a Facebook page for the local area that would be a great place to advertise.

Good luck and thanks for considering the discount!

I mostly get offended with the large chains that don't give a discount, because they can really afford to do it more so than say a small mom and pop place, which is usually who gives the best discounts. And I say this because this is primarily a Military town, so you would think they would support their troops. Most of the discounts we get are 10% and usually in the $1 to $2 range on my purchases.

A couple of restaurants only give them to soidiers in uniform, others have a Military Monday.

Most of the ones I know about are unadvertised and most families don't even know to ask.

Suzanne

I ask everywhere. Booked a party for my DH at a local place while he was home on R&R, and even though they technically didn't have a military discount, they shaved a nice chunk off the room rental bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!