Yosemite recommendations?

DebbieinWA

Mouseketeer
I would love to go to Yosemite this year. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations as far as time of the year to go? I was thinking late May/early June or mid-September. Also, I am completely clueless about what to do, where to stay, etc. We will be coming from the Seattle area and would probably drive down. Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

Yosemite is a great place to visit. DH and I want to do a camping trip there sometime.

We went with a group of people in July of 2005 (if I remember correctly). We stayed in Curry Village in their cabins with bathrooms. They have several options for lodging in Curry Village.

To find all the options for lodging in check out Yosemite Park. After that I clicked on Accommodations (on the left hand side). This gives the hotels, cabins, housekeeping options available. It looks like you can book online as well.

My friend booked all the cabins for us when we went (like 9 total cabins) and she booked 9 months - 1 year in advance. I think it was like a year, I can't remember exactly.

HTH,
Candace

You might be able to get affordable lodging in the park for September now.

But I think getting lodging in May is unlikely . . . we looked for a number of days late in May and all they had left was top of the line and pricey or the tent cabins without bath ("no way!" said DW).

We were also there last September - weather was great, crowds managable and everything was open. But, the downside was very little water over the falls. Late May should have better falls as the spring melt will still be in process.

Do a couple of ranger walk/talks . . . they are good ways to get oriented. A tour through the Valley using the shuttles and taking the walks is also well worth while. Definately drive up to Glacier Point and plan to spend some time there. a relatively easy hike up to Vernal Falls should also be on your list.

Some sites to visit -
http://www.nps.gov/yose/
http://www.yosemitepark.com/ (the park lodging company)
http://www.yosemite.org/index.html (the non profit that supports the park)
http://www.yosemite.national-park.com/ (a private web site with good info)
http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm (not a government website, but does give a variety of options outside the park - none of which I used).

Rent bikes and ride around the valley floor. We had a great time, and stopped for a swin in the river.

Late May/early June is a great time to go because the waterfalls are at their peak and the flowers in the meadows are starting to bloom...but as others have pointed out, you'll probably not be able to stay in the Valley unless you're willing to stay in a tent cabin in Curry Village. People DO cancel reservations, though, so you might luck out if you try calling (or going on-line) 7-14 days before your trip.

But, you might consider staying in El Portal - that's about 35-45 minutes from the Valley, and it's drivable. I have friends that have stayed at Cedar Lodge there a couple of times and thought it was nice - there's other hotels, too.

Another option is the Redwood Cottages at Wawona - that's going to be more like an hour from the Valley. There's an area of privately owned homes there that I believe are actually within the boundaries of Yosemite National Park. A lot of them are available for rent - you can find more information on them at: http://RedwoodsInYosemite.com. From that area you're close to the southern entrance to Yosemite and the Mariposa Sequoia grove.

Things to do (whether in May or September): Visit Glacier Point (though that could still be closed in May this year!), visit either the Mariposa or Tuolumne sequoia groves, take a hike out of Happy Isles at least as far as the Vernal Falls bridge, go to the Visitor Center and see the movie, walk to the base of Lower Yosemite Falls, walk to the base of Bridalveil Fall, have breakfast at the Ahwahnee Hotel, take the (free) Valley Shuttle all the way around...that's all pretty easy stuff.

If you're more adventurous...take the Hiker's Bus from Yosemite Lodge to Glacier Point and either take the 4 Mile Trail down to the Valley or hike the Panorama Trail (~8 miles) down to the Valley. I prefer the Panorama Trail myself - you get to see Illilouette Fall as well as Nevada and Vernal Falls.

There's also a hike to Mirror Lake and past Mirror Lake up to the Snow Creek Bridge and back down the other side.

As a previous poster stated, riding bikes around the Valley is a lot of fun.

Hope that helps.

We went in June 06 and made our reservations at the Ahawanee one year and a day before we traveled. Go on their website 366 days before you want to arrive; and you can book your travel to arrive on that day. So the night before we left on our cruise in 05, I was surfing the Internet for our vacation in 2006! DH thought I was nuts. But we stayed at a beautiful historic hotel and have great memories of this place. I would LOVE to go again.

47b7d726b3127ccebbf3735b0a6c00000036100AbtGbZm5bt2IA

47b7d726b3127ccebbf3fa7acba100000035100AbtGbZm5bt2IA

47b7d726b3127ccebbfc319aeb6b00000035100AbtGbZm5bt2IA

47b7d726b3127ccebbf3f4a04a4c00000035100AbtGbZm5bt2IA

Rent bikes and ride around the valley floor. We had a great time, and stopped for a swin in the river.

I agree 100% The bike ride into the valley was my favorite part of Yosemite and the river is so refreshing after the ride.

I would love to go to Yosemite this year. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations as far as time of the year to go? I was thinking late May/early June or mid-September. Also, I am completely clueless about what to do, where to stay, etc. We will be coming from the Seattle area and would probably drive down. Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

I've never been, but I would go during an off-peak time of year when there are less crowds.

I would recommend going in late/spring-early summer over September. The falls will be full, and very impressive.

Worst time to go is in high summer peak season, especially during Independence & Labor days.

I was there in late November & it was beautiful. We were lucky because the little snow that had fallen had also melted, and the road to Glacier Point was open.

We stayed at Yosemite West (which is near the turnoff to Glacier Point), but if we were to stay in a cabin again, & couldn't stay in the valley, I'd choose Redwoods in Yosemite. I like those cabins better, and the area is flatter, so more opportunity to walk/hike around. That's just my personal preference.

We stayed at the Yosemite View Lodge in June 2006 and it was great. The road nearby, near El Portal, was closed due to a landslip so it was very quiet getting into the park :)

The view from our room -

Yosemiteroomview.JPG

As said aorund May or June has the run off from the winter snow so the waterfalls are at their best. You must also make a visit to Glacier Point to see the valley from above -

YosemiteFallsandValley.JPG

Claire ;)

No really, it is! We traveled last summer by RV from FL to CA with our 2 boys 6 & 4. We arrived in Yosemite in the first week of June. Yosemite will always remain in my heart as one of the best places ever. We booked our trip about 6 months in advance at a KOA campground outside the park (Mariposa). The drive into the park was about 30 min's on a winding road that follows the Madrid River. Not a great drive in the dark! We stayed for 3 days, and drove in and out of the park each day. So, I would have liked to have stayed inside the park, but our RV was too long and couldn't be accomodated. However, Yosemite is was very crowded in the Village and tent camping areas - I'm talking WDW lines in July - for slices of pizza!

We did the bike ride to Mirror Lake, the valley bike ride, hiked two waterfalls (Bridal Veil and Yosemite), and the most wonderful kayak trip (we had our own) down the Madrid River inside the park. It was so calm and beautiful and clear water with tons of fish, and these old stone bridges and rocky beaches...I could go on and on. And as much as I love WDW and all things Disney, inside the park and away from the tour buses, Yosemite is such the anti-Disney - so serene and natural! Have fun!! You will love it!

The crowds at Curry Village at feeding time are discouraging. No fastpass either:sad2:

We ended up at the deli in Yosemite Village for a couple meals.

The crowds at Curry Village at feeding time are discouraging. No fastpass either:sad2:

We ended up at the deli in Yosemite Village for a couple meals.
We were in the park for four nights and never had a bad meal. We at at The Dining Room at The Ahawanee the first night; the pizza place the 2nd night; the food court at the Yosemite Lodge the 3rd night and the restaurant at the Yosemite Lodge our last night. We did try to go to Curry Village one night but when we saw the lines, we went to the food court instead.

We were in the park for four nights and never had a bad meal. We at at The Dining Room at The Ahawanee the first night; the pizza place the 2nd night; the food court at the Yosemite Lodge the 3rd night and the restaurant at the Yosemite Lodge our last night. We did try to go to Curry Village one night but when we saw the lines, we went to the food court instead.

Those were all good options. Just an FYI to others, Ahawanee probably needs ressies and it's pricey.

Ahwahnee also has a dress code for dinner - coat and tie required for men, and something equally fancy for women.

Curry Village REALLY needs to add an additional "fast food" option for the evening hours - it would help if they kept the Taqueria open past 5:00 at night. There's just too many people who are trying to get something to eat between 6:00 and 8:00 at night. They'd be better off if they turned the buffet into a big food court.

Another thing we've learned to watch out for - a lot of food places close at 5:00, and most of the rest close at 8:00 - as I recall, Curry Village Pizza is the only place that's open past 8:00.

Ahwahnee also has a dress code for dinner - coat and tie required for men, and something equally fancy for women.

Curry Village REALLY needs to add an additional "fast food" option for the evening hours - it would help if they kept the Taqueria open past 5:00 at night. There's just too many people who are trying to get something to eat between 6:00 and 8:00 at night. They'd be better off if they turned the buffet into a big food court.

Another thing we've learned to watch out for - a lot of food places close at 5:00, and most of the rest close at 8:00 - as I recall, Curry Village Pizza is the only place that's open past 8:00.

Yes, I do remember this being a problem when we went a few summers ago. We were really ticked about the dress code at the hotel. Us girls wanted to go for dessert without the DH's and kids, but since we were staying in the cabins in Curry Village, nobody even thought to bring fancy dress up clothes.:sad1:

Thanks for the reminder:thumbsup2

Candace

I don't know if they still do this, but 20 years ago during the winter months the Ahwahnee had one night a week where they offered a "skier's buffet" and there was no dress code that evening - so even those of us from the wrong side of the Valley could have dinner at the Ahwahnee. :-) That's the only time I've ever had dinner there. But we almost always go for breakfast one morning of our trip - no dress code for breakfast! And they have a really wonderful breakfast buffet - the price isn't even that outrageous.

I ate at Ahwahnee in September and jacket was not required. Many people in dockers and golf shirts as I recall. There may have been a no shorts allowed and collared shirt required code, but certainly not coat and tie.

From the Yosemite website:

Dinner dress code in The Ahwahnee Dining Room is 'Resort Casual'. Gentlemen are asked to wear collared shirts and slacks. Ladies are asked to wear dresses, skirts or slacks and blouses. Children over the age of four are asked to dress accordingly. Breakfast, brunch and lunch dress are casual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter