yosemite.....how much time? any advice?

I saw the Ahwanee hotel. it looks fabulous, but if I want to go on this trip, I need to make it affordable. I will look into the others, thanks again for all the info! I love these disboards, always so helpful!

I saw the Ahwanee hotel. it looks fabulous, but if I want to go on this trip, I need to make it affordable. I will look into the others, thanks again for all the info! I love these disboards, always so helpful!

When do you plan on going? I looked at the official website, and it looks like they're accepting reservations until past the date they transfer control of the concession. So I suppose they just plan on handing over the reservations. Still, I don't think the rates are set. They supposedly are subject to NPS regulation every year.

I can actually find availability in July and August of next year, but very little available in May or June. I guess fewer people plan ahead that late since the water tends to run low and the waterfalls aren't as big.

Oh - Yosemite has bears, and some of the craftiest bears on the planet. Unlike other places, they will break into cars and they have been known to employ stealth when trying to get to food.

Finally there's Housekeeping Camp. I guess it serves a purpose, but I think it looks like a hastily built refugee camp. It looks like a concrete bunker with a canvas wall for a front door.

Housekeeping is my favorite. :)

We are thinking about going in July. I've never been to a disney park on my birthday, so I'm trying to do that. So we would be there around the third to last week.
I can't book yet, I'm still working on hubby!

We spent about 8 hours in Yosemite coming from Nevada in May 2013. Originally we had reserved a small house in Foresta Ridge for 3 nights at a very reasonable price ($250 a night with complete kitchen, yard etc.) but DH's doctor at the last minute advised against staying at 'high' altitude due to an illness in 2012 so we spent those first days instead in San Francisco, went to Nevada and stayed with friends and hit Yosemite on our way back to Oakland.

That day we had time enough for a leisurely drive in the valley, a lovely lunch at the Ahwahnee main dining room, visits to the Main visitor center and large store for souvenirs and even a short walk in a streamside campground. The falls were still running and the place was busy but definitely easy to navigate. I would go back in an instant and we plan to eventually, perhaps even renting the place we never got to stay in again.

If anyone in the group likes to day hike plan on doing that such as the trip up or down from Artist Point (you can bus it one or both ways). My ideal plan would be 4 - 5 days with 2 or 3 multi-hour hikes done at a leisurely pace. If we didn't stay in a rental house I would probably choose a place such as the Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. It was just beyond the main tourist drag and some recent reviews sound okay. It was within easy walking distance from several places and we drove through it's parking lot that day. And as for lodging inside the park itself, if the weather is decent and you plan on spending time outside hiking, taking pictures etc. then just like at Disney the room itself won't be a big deal. The night before our day in Yosemite was spent at the Best Western Plus, Yosemite Way Station Hotel which we booked at the last minute. It was fine although our 'suite' room with 2 beds separated by the bathroom needed renovation it was clean and functional. I wouldn't recommend staying very far outside the park and then driving back and forth each day; those roads are twisty and distances misleading. I'd bite the bullet and stay inside the park somewhere.

Here's a link to our pictures from that day:
https://klmall.smugmug.com/Travel/CA-and-NV-May-2013/YosemiteGallery

Just a heads up - depending on when you go in July (early or late in the month) and how much snow/rain the area has had in the winter/spring, many of the waterfalls might be greatly diminished or completely dry. We were there in mid August this year & the only waterfalls flowing were Vernal (reduced by at least 80 percent), Navada (a bit better than Navada), and Bridalviel (a trickle). Yosemite Falls was renamed Yosemite Walls- no water at all. Many of the smaller rivers were dry. Mirror Lake wasn't a lake - you could walk right across it. A guide told me it had been like that since mid July. I was prepared for this, but many visitors aren't & some get very disappointed/angry when the famed waterfalls are nowhere to be found!

My husband, daughter & I stayed in a tent in Curry Village. It was fine except for the crummy pillows.

I recommend the tram tour, as well as the 2 hour horseback tour. Be prepared for some less then stellar meals, although the sandwiches in The deli in Yosemite Village were great.

I think this was the last summer for the horseback riding in the valley, but people can still go in Wawona. Also, we really like the pizza at Curry Village. :)

I'm here now, 2 nights in a cabin at Curry Village, only 1 full day plus some time this afternoon.
This place is beyond spectacular. I'm all goosebumps and a lumpy throat. Tunnel view is to die for. We are heading up to Glacier Point tomorrow. Wish we had 3 nights as there is so much more we would like to do.

I'm here now, 2 nights in a cabin at Curry Village, only 1 full day plus some time this afternoon.
This place is beyond spectacular. I'm all goosebumps and a lumpy throat. Tunnel view is to die for. We are heading up to Glacier Point tomorrow. Wish we had 3 nights as there is so much more we would like to do.
If you get a chance, and there is water in the falls, do Mist Trail. It's right next to Curry Village, and well worth the walk.

I cry every time I enter Yosemite and get the chance to experience such beauty up close and personal.

We did the valley tour this morning which was excellent, then headed up the hill towards Sentinal dome and glacier point. The walk to Sentinal was great, kids were troopers and we only had a little bit of grizzling. It was so worth it once we got to the top, what a view!

We then drove to Glacier Point, and I think this might be the view to end all views. Just incredible.

We never made it to the mist trail though I did go for a run this morning up to the bridge that goes across the river. That might have to wait for next visit!

We stayed in the valley last June. We spent one night at Yosemite Falls Lodge and one night at the Ahwahnee . The lodge is more of a traditional motel like room. Some of the architecture is of the Mission 66 genre. The Ahwahnee is a historical, artistically beautiful hotel built in 1927. If you don't decide to stay at the Ahwahnee you should visit to see the beautiful interior spaces. There are free historical tours. Both hotels are on the Valley bus line as is the Ranger Station and entrances to Mirror Lake hike, etc. We also enjoyed the Valley floor tour operated by the NPS in an open tram. BTW their are alternate sequoia groves that are open, even though the Mariposa grove is closed. Enjoy your trip!

We are going next May can you tell me where the other sequoia groves can be found. Thank you

Thank you!

I've never been to the smaller sequoia groves in Yosemite. There is at least one planted sequoia tree in Yosemite Valley though. The one I've seen is at the Ahwahnee Hotel. They don't reproduce naturally at that altitude, but a planted sequoia seedling can be grown anywhere. John Muir planted one at his house in Martinez, CA but it's apparently dying.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/27/local/la-me-muir-tree-20130728

Here's some pretty good online guides:

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/tuolumne-grove/tuolumne-grove.htm
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hetch-hetchy/merced-grove/merced-grove.htm

I haven't been there, but it looks like there's pretty much no fences. It sounds like they allow visitors to come up all the way to touch the trees since there's not heavy visitation. Mariposa Grove of course has a lot of fences. However, I think the best place to see sequoias would be Sequoia and Kings Canyon. Giant Forest is of course the feature attraction, but I found that Redwood Mountain Grove (technically in Kings Canyon NP) was at a completely different level. I don't know how else to describe it other than it felt more "organic". There were basically no signs with named trees (although many are named) and no fences. You'd need to hike in though, but visiting that place was life changing.

I went to the Tuolomne Grove back when you could drive through it (a few years ago). It was a nice visit, and relatively close to the Valley. There is a tree that we could drive under, so I'm sure you can still walk through it.

@JoRollo If you are going to return to Los Angeles/Orange County after Yosemite, you can take a detour through Sequoia and visit the General Sherman (largest living thing on Earth). This will add a few hours to your trip, but I've done it a couple of times, and it's definitely doable.

Mist trail is NOT an easy trail. Just getting to the bridge at the bottom of the falls is an uphill hike that, although paved, is somewhat strenuous. Many people huffing and puffing on the way up.

Mirror lake is a lot easier, as is the Yosemite Falls trail. Flat and beautiful but crowded.

In the valley itself, accommodations are limited. The Awahnee is super $$, and the lodge is mediocre and has limited availability. Other than that, you are limited to tent cabins of one sort or another. I've stayed both at Housekeeping and Curry Village. I like housekeeping, but no one got any sleep in the closely crowded tents at Curry Village. It's cheap, tho.

Depending on how you are driving, the closest hotel is the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. It really is only a few minutes from the park gate. It's on 140, though, so might be out of the way. It is the only truly close hotel to the valley but may not be convenient to your driving route. It sits (literally) on the Merced river, which is glorious.

http://www.stayyosemiteviewlodge.com

If you are able to get into the park relatively early, staying one night might be sufficient if you stay most of the following day. We usually stay two nights, but we like to bike around and picnic.

I've been all around the world, and Yosemite is one of the most striking places I've ever been. Don't miss it.

Mist trail is NOT an easy trail. Just getting to the bridge at the bottom of the falls is an uphill hike that, although paved, is somewhat strenuous. Many people huffing and puffing on the way up.

Mirror lake is a lot easier, as is the Yosemite Falls trail. Flat and beautiful but crowded.

In the valley itself, accommodations are limited. The Awahnee is super $$, and the lodge is mediocre and has limited availability. Other than that, you are limited to tent cabins of one sort or another. I've stayed both at Housekeeping and Curry Village. I like housekeeping, but no one got any sleep in the closely crowded tents at Curry Village. It's cheap, tho.

Depending on how you are driving, the closest hotel is the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. It really is only a few minutes from the park gate. It's on 140, though, so might be out of the way. It is the only truly close hotel to the valley but may not be convenient to your driving route. It sits (literally) on the Merced river, which is glorious.

http://www.stayyosemiteviewlodge.com

If you are able to get into the park relatively early, staying one night might be sufficient if you stay most of the following day. We usually stay two nights, but we like to bike around and picnic.

I've been all around the world, and Yosemite is one of the most striking places I've ever been. Don't miss it.

I will be filing all this info, as due to family illness, I don't think I will be traveling anywhere. Hopefully next year! Thank you for all the awesome info.
Wish I was traveling this year! :(

I'm sorry you won't be able to travel as planned, but add this to your file for the future: We are renting a condo from Enchanted Yosemite (Google it and the website comes up). In October - March, they are running a stay 2 nights, get 1 free special on their condos. "Located inside the gates of Yosemite National Park. Just 30 minutes south of the valley floor, one mile from Glacier Point road and just 6 miles from Badger Pass ski area and 30 minutes (15 miles) from Glacier Point." They are running a Groupon special right now that's actually even slightly better than the buy 2/ get 1 free special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter