Yo Ho Yo Ho a Tipsy Life for Me - A November '17 Dining Adventure - Complete 5/27

The sushi looked yummy. I will definitely have to give it a try on our next visit.
You definitely should. It was really good and a great place to catch a last minute ADR.

It'll be just DH and myself. Wine Wed at Jiko is the only other reservation I'd keep as it's only offered once during our trip and the two things DH loves more in this world than me is Africa and wine. Then the kids. ;) You have me thinking.

I am loving room your report and reading your older ones. Your little Casey is growing up and so cute!
Wine Wednesday at Jiko always looks like a great event. I love African wine too, namely because I know so little about it so its a great way to learn. I've always wanted to do the Wednesday event but alas we've yet to have a trip without the kiddo so we haven't been able to work it in.

Casey has definitely grown since our first trip. I can't believe how fast time has gone.
IMG_5829.jpg

Ha! DH & DS would appreciate the school bread, I'm sure. I, however, am one of those weirdos who doesn't like coconut, so it would be all theirs! My new plan, if free dining can be acquired and requires a park hopper, is to make it to Epcot so we don't have to be those crazy people trying to give people money.
I'll keep my free dining fingers crossed for ya!

This is a must-do for me, too. I love me some Mitsukoshi candy!

Sounds like a somewhat surprisingly amazing meal at Tokyo Dining! I love slushi too, so I might have to try one of these days. :thumbsup2
I'm totally with ya on the candy train. I always pick up something crazy sounding to make myself think I was actually in Japan.

You should definitely give Tokyo Dining a whirl if you like slushi! I was really surprised by how good it was.

I feel your pain regarding the crowds the last weekend of Food & Wine. We usually arrive that weekend and after trying at lunch on one trip said never again. I think we ended up at either ESPN or Big River instead. Glad you found a spot at Tokyo Dining.
I had no idea what we were in for. We were there the prior friday and it was fine, but this last weekend was just insanity!

Both Dan and I had the pleasure of eating here a few weeks ago and fell in LOVE! With Homecomin', not each other :rotfl2: I laughed at this quote though because we both kept saying 'Homecoming' too and had to keep correcting each other. Don't care what you call it, it's BOMB DIGGITY!
Bomb Diggity indeed. Though if Art Smith wants me to fall in love with him like you did Dan he's still gonna have to give me back my G :P

Pickle juice, what the devil? I would have done it though. Cause i'm gross like that.
I still have no idea, but that pickle juice is all you. I'll do the moonshine, but pickle juice is just asking too much.

We ended up sharing several appetizers too and got the biscuits and our waitress asked if we wanted the pimento cheese on top. Uh yeah?! Cheese on anything is a yes please. My gosh, was it scrumptious. I live in a pretty crappy (but I strangely love it) area in CA where we don't have cool, trendy grocery stores that make their own stuff. So to me, this was :cloud9:
Did they give you the pimento cheese on the regular biscuits or the chicken ones? Either sounds awesome, but it on the fried chicken suddenly sounds like an amazing idea!

And so you know our grocery store is neither trendy nor cool, we just happen to live in the Northern part of a Southern state so we get to bonus off of some southern things every once in a while. Our North Carolina based grocery store being one of them.

Dude, I got to see firsthand this crazy-people line. Absolutely insane. This is totally a spoiler alert for my solo TR but I was at AK at 6:15am with the masses for EMH at 7am and it was incredible. It's crazy all the effort it takes to ride this without a FP (even though I had a FP, I knew I would regret not going there first thing to try it in Stand-by!) so I got to ride multiple times this day (got a surprise FP that morning loaded onto MDE!)
Good for squeezing a couple of rides in. We got a surprise FP too and we were elated. We've going with some friends in August and hoping we can get FOP for early in our trip while they are there. Otherwise no way we are waiting.

This is my mom. She's a Miller lite lady. But always asks for a glass and I asked her years ago, if she felt classier with the glass and she said yes :rotfl2:
Your Mom is my Miller Lite soulmate :drinking1

YES! Oh my gosh!!!! I WISH we had done this as I love fried clams too, and not many places have it! Ugh!! *raising fists into the air*
You'll just have to make up for it on your next trip!!!!

Casey has definitely grown since our first trip. I can't believe how fast time has gone.
img_5829-jpg.316715

Oh my good gracious!! Look at tiny Casey!! What a precious little bean! You must be having so much fun watching her grow up into a fabulous, sassy, smart young lady!

Your slushi looks and sounds amazing! I really really like slushi! We ate at Tokyo Dining for the first time a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. Def have to make a trip back. The pic of Jason imitating Casey had me cracking up! He did it perfectly. Casey is so adorable, especially her baby pic! They do grow up way to fast. My oldest is going to be 39, and my baby is 32! Yikes!

img_5829-jpg.316715

Little baby Casey, so cute :love:

We just returned from our trip and went to Teppan Edo for my 16 year old son who loves Hibachi. When we walked in I was super confused and thought Tokyo Dining was Teppan Edo. I had to ask the lady if we were in the right place :laughing: Otherwise, I never knew that place even existed! I'm not a big sushi/slushi girl (no surprise there, right?), but I do like to see it because they do such a nice job with the presentation.

Food and Wine was too much for us the week before you went, too. I've definitely learned my lesson and won't ever go back on a weekend :crazy2:

Unfortunately at noon on the Friday of the last weekend of Food and Wine, the festival was insane. No line had less than 15-20 people in it so we got our child who'd had nothing but sugar for the last 18 hours something relatively healthy.
Ummm... no thanks! (on the line, not on the cheese plate) The more festivals I go to the shorter my tolerance for lines becomes...

And speaking of healthy, Jason and I needed something healthy as well so we went with a Sea Dog Sunfish Beer, which is a wheat ale with hints of peach and grapefruit.
What?! I didn't know they had this during the festival. I love this beer, had it a few times at Hash House (when I was less hungover obviously)

Gotta love when beer can be a conduit for 2 daily servings of fruit. Though does anyone feel like they are being watched?
I always feel like... somebody's watching me :rotfl:

I thought it was awesome that they were all women!
You go, lady bosses!

Next we have Spicy Crunchy Roll which is a Tuna and Salmon mix, topped with Tempura Crunch, Dynamite and Volcano drizzle.
Wow that looks and sounds amazing!!
Lastly we have my favorite the Firecracker Roll, which is a Tempura Shrimp Roll with Wakame Salad and Jalapeno finished with Eel Sauce, Shredded Red Pepper, and Sriracha drizzle.
And this looks and sounds even better! I may have to add Tokyo Dining to one of our upcoming trips. Another great meal in the bag!

I'm like that with rides too! Good thing we go so much!

So true. I see a line over about 30 minutes (a la Miss Casey) and really evaluate how dedicated I am to the experience. I feel like an old coot saying this but at least the people watching never has a line! :rotfl:

I'm way behind so it may take me a few days to catch up but I am committed!

where Casey wanted a photo shoot with her carriage necklace and Cinderella's carriage before we even entered.
img_4513-jpg.306773
Well, of course! Who wouldn't?

"Uber to grand while wait for a who took luff wrong way."
:rotfl2:

Jason ordered the Florida Shrimp with House-made Gnocchetti Sardi Pasta, spicy Puttanesca Sauce, Baby Spinach, Parmesan
img_4522-jpg.306781
Sounds like something I would enjoy.

As we waited for our dessert, we were treated to some fireworks from Happily Ever After
Nice view!

After dinner we bid farewell to our friends, but not without another photoshoot to mark the occasion.
img_4534-jpg.306790
Very nice photo!

Up next, we almost "skip" a meal
:eek:

After a few late nights and early mornings in a row, Casey was a little grumpy this morning despite the fact that we were headed to ye ole Magic Kingdom. But never fear a train ride to Frontierland would fix that.
img_4539-jpg.308338
Look at that face! LOL

We finally got her to come around a little bit with a Pineapple Upside Down Dole Whip!
img_4543-jpg.308339
Yummy!

Still needing a little more pick me up, we thought a little bribery - I mean motivation - in the form of face painting was in order.
img_4546-jpg.308340
Smart move, Mom!

Speaking of Princesses, we made a trip to Belle's cottage and Casey and Jason were able to get their wardrobe and knights on.
img_4555-jpg.308349
Love it!

After that our bellies were rumbling so we filled up Pluto's butt (I'm still shocked we apparently remembered it)
img_4563-jpg.308357
:lovestruc

Pretzels on the Pooper!
Now that's a statement!

They didn't have our favorite cream cheese pretzel anymore so we went with the Pepper Jack.
I didn't know they got rid of it again! I was not a fan in June but I wonder if I would like the Pepper jack one better.

Maybe its just me, but I totally feel like I'm getting away with something when I drink in Magic Kingdom.
I have yet to do this but I will be in June!

For anyone who has never had Yuca, its like a potato - but a bit starchier - and fries up to a golden fluffy perfection.
Sounds good.

And for all my seafood lovin' friends - The Shrimp Have Eyes!
img_4573-jpg.308374
:eek:

Eventually we made it to our dining destination: Homecoming
I really thought about adding it to our October trip...but I ended up going with Boathouse.

That's the Moonshine Mash with Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup. With the moonshine I expected this to be way boozier than it was, but it had great watermelon flavor and went down way to quick.
Sounds yummy!

Jason was also feeling the moonshine, but in a much different way.
img_4588-jpg.309384
My Dh would love this.

He also really liked the mac and cheese, but I found it too cheesey if that even is a thing. I tend to like a mixtures of cheeses in mine vice just cheddar.
I keep thinking about this mac-n-cheese. I love mac-n-cheese. But like you, I like different varietals of cheese in mine.

Overall we really like Homecoming. Despite living in a southern state, we're in the northern part of it so finding good southern food is a real treat for us.
See, I grew up on this type food. I don't get it as much as I used to but anytime there is a family function I do. So I'm not in any rush.

img_e0150-jpg.310934

He apparently stopped for some artsy photos along the way.
:rotfl:

From there, Casey had her face paint from the day before fixed for tonights Christmas Party and then found a new friend that she couldn't do without.
img_4608-jpg.310938

img_4606-jpg.310940

In the sea of Disney souvenirs, I may have the only 6 year old on the planet who would want the stuffed Dole Whip!
Love it!

so we ended up booking a last minute ADR at The Boathouse.
Oh, I hope it is a good review!

As we contemplated our choices, they brought us some of their bread I'd read so many wonderful things about.
img_4616-jpg.310964

These were fine, but nothing special. They were not even remotely warm which could have been part of the problem. I've also heard these normally have some kind of honey butter on them, but I didn't detect any of that on ours.
Looks fairly plain, though I loive bread so plain with butter can be a good thing. But you are right...should be warm!

Jason declared this the best burger he'd ever had on property! The meat itself was the star of the dish and had amazing flavor and was perfectly cooked. The accompaniments were nothing special, but the burger itself was so good he could overlook that. More to come on the fries.
Good to know, though I plan to stick to seafood.

Jason and I both subbed out our regular fries for truffle fries for $2.50 more and WOW, just WOW!!! They were crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and had tons of truffle flavor. They may have been some of the best we've ever had. Definitely worth the upgrade.
Okay, so I must be pretty basic bc I have never had truffle fries. Tell me more so I know if I want to upgrade to them in October.

Overall, we were happy with the Boathouse. We had a nice and relaxing lunch
Good!

our only regret was sitting inside instead of enjoying a nice meal on the water (someone insisted her dole whip would melt outside :P)
Yeh, I'll probably insist on the water table if at all possible.

Unfortunately it was the first party of the year so thanks to every blogger on the planet it had sold out and was much more crowded than we anticipated.
Yep, unfortunately this is the case with the first party of both "seasons".

img_4625-jpg.313040

Christmas card photo, check!
Love it! We got almost all our Christmas card photos from our 2017 Disney trip!

My nostalgic kid also wanted to ride Carousel of Progress
Besides both adults in my party loving this, my 6.5 yr old does as well. I had left it off our one park day in June and was rudely told I needed to get it on the list. Oops. Currently re-working things....

the world's shortest roller coaster, not once but twice, for a solid 48 seconds of ride time.
:rotfl2: Though I suppose I shouldn't laugh because its my youngest's fave!

but I don't do milk so skipped right over dat one.
Another non-milk drinker in the world!

we drowned our sorrows in some sadly non-alcoholic cider
Boo...hiss!

It was close to fireworks time and Casey was getting tired and not having any of it. I resigned myself to watching it from the bridge by Splash Mountain, but then Casey had to go to the bathroom so we missed most of the first half. At this point I realized all Casey wanted to do was ride stuff, so I gave up on watching the parade later, and just let the kid be a kid.
I'll be curious to see how my kids do. We are mostly doing it for rides and atmosphere (we are doing the Halloween party) but I want to see the Boo To You parade and Halloween Wishes, if possible.

We ended the night with a barrage of rides from boats with pirates and jingles to trains with dwarfs and planes with barnstormers to space shuttles in the dark. The ladder of which we rode 5 times in a row to end the night.
Very productive!!

Plus we all love our slushi (aka what Casey named sushi at the age of 3 and it stuck) and never met some raw fish we didn't like.
My husband likes sushi...me, not so much. I suppose it is the raw fish? Though I enjoyed those tuna tacos at WCC. Goes to show that enough condiments and accompaniments can open one's mind, I suppose!

Depending on how many of you there are it can work really well. We're obviously 3 and most of what you saw on this report - less CG as you so eloquently stated why - was done at the last minute. It because almost a game of what is open, what do you feel like eating, and how can those 2 things combine! As long as you are open to times and locations, its a great way to go! If you're gonna go that route I'd suggest a few weeks before your trip getting on the dining app a few nights and seeing what would be available for your party. That gives you a great perspective on what you may find.
Even though I am a planner by nature, I feel like this would be fun. I probably wouldn't do it for a full on trip but for a quick adults only weekend, I think this would work nicely. And I definitely aspire to have a few of those in the future!

Oh my good gracious!! Look at tiny Casey!! What a precious little bean! You must be having so much fun watching her grow up into a fabulous, sassy, smart young lady!
I look back at those pictures and I'm still not sure who that little girl is or where she has gone :-) Its been great to watch her turn into her own little person, but I do miss the little some days.

Oh my goodness. How sweet and adorable. :cutie:
She was (and is) pretty dang perfect!

So Cute!!!
Thanks!

Adorable! How old was she for your first trip?
Thanks! She was 2 1/2 the first time we took her and then we snuck in one more trip before she turned 3. I would have taken her earlier, but I wanted to make sure she was potty trained before we went.

Your slushi looks and sounds amazing! I really really like slushi! We ate at Tokyo Dining for the first time a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. Def have to make a trip back. The pic of Jason imitating Casey had me cracking up! He did it perfectly. Casey is so adorable, especially her baby pic! They do grow up way to fast. My oldest is going to be 39, and my baby is 32! Yikes!
In case you couldn't tell we are totally a sushi family too. In fact Casey and I went to Trader Joe's earlier and she insisted on getting sushi to take to school for lunch together :P

The kiddos definitely grow up way to quick. I have no idea where 7 year went and I know 32 is right around the corner.

Little baby Casey, so cute :love:

We just returned from our trip and went to Teppan Edo for my 16 year old son who loves Hibachi. When we walked in I was super confused and thought Tokyo Dining was Teppan Edo. I had to ask the lady if we were in the right place :laughing: Otherwise, I never knew that place even existed! I'm not a big sushi/slushi girl (no surprise there, right?), but I do like to see it because they do such a nice job with the presentation.

Food and Wine was too much for us the week before you went, too. I've definitely learned my lesson and won't ever go back on a weekend :crazy2:
Thanks. She was pretty dang cute with cheeks for days.

Yeah the Tokyo Dining/Teppan Edo set-up is definitely odd. I'm not sure why they built it as two restaurants in one space instead of two distinctly different spaces. Hope you enjoyed Teppan Edo and your trip. Are you doing a report?

Ummm... no thanks! (on the line, not on the cheese plate) The more festivals I go to the shorter my tolerance for lines becomes...
I'm so with you. I'm a grumpy old lady at this point that wants no part of that line.

What?! I didn't know they had this during the festival. I love this beer, had it a few times at Hash House (when I was less hungover obviously)
I'm not sure if it was part of the festival or if they just had it. It was at the booth between the land and figment in case you need some hair of the sundog one day :P

And this looks and sounds even better! I may have to add Tokyo Dining to one of our upcoming trips. Another great meal in the bag!
It really was good and if you like slushi you should most definitely give it a whirl. I'm sure we'll be back on our next trip it was that good.

I'm like that with rides too! Good thing we go so much!
Sadly we don't go so much and I'm like that too.

So true. I see a line over about 30 minutes (a la Miss Casey) and really evaluate how dedicated I am to the experience. I feel like an old coot saying this but at least the people watching never has a line! :rotfl:
This old coot (and her young coot mascarading as a child) have a tolerance of a whole 20 minutes these days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!