Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's trip for me! A Princess Pirate's first trip to Disney

jenhum

Mouseketeer
Ok, I'm going to try out this trip report thing! I really enjoyed reading them before our trip, and I'm in full on Post Disney Depression, so here goes nothing. Bear with me, as I'm not sure I know exactly how to do this.

Cast of Characters:

My mom and dad- the best parents and grandparents one could ever wish for. I'm a recently divorced single mom and they wanted to make sure that my daughter could still have a great trip like this before she gets too much older! They are both very young feeling and acting grandparents, and best of all- they completely funded the trip and let me plan everything! They actually like it that way!

155693_10151530587349712_1281153457_n.jpg

Myself- hmm, it's hard to talk about yourself. I'm 30, love being a mom, and I'm a super type A control freak planner! My style is full on commando touring, but I also have cystic fibrosis and my body dosen't always cooperate with my plans. I had planned on perhaps getting a GAC or even just a wheelchair at WDW, but as usual I convinced myself that I would be fine :). And I was really, although I probably could've used the wheelchair by day 5 if I'm being honest. But I made it, and only slightly worse for the wear :thumbsup2.

And the star of our trip- Maddie, my DD 4.5, who is such a fantastic little girl. She is a sweet little rule following kind hearted girl. Her first movie obsession, from age 2-3 was Toy Story. We did all things cowgirl, and watched all 3 movies countless times. Somewhere around 3.5 we switched to Lion King, and that remained the most important movie in her life until about 2 months before our trip, when she saw Peter Pan. So now we are pirates and Peter Pan lovers, although the Lion King love lives on through her vast collection of stuffed lions, most importantly Simba, who goes everywhere with her. Ok, enough. I could talk about her all day!

IMG_0533.jpg

For our trip, we drove down (from SC, about 9 hours) on 4/13, stayed in an offsite hotel the first night, and then checked into AoA Sunday morning. We stayed for 5 days, which was both too short and the perfect length. So. Did I forget anything?? Tomorrow I'll start in on our first day- Animal Kingdom! Thanks for reading!

Great start... Where at in SC do you live? We are from Prosperity. Nice to see fellow Disney lovers from SC!

I can't wait to read your TR. We are taking my DD on her first trip ever next month and she is 4.5 so I am looking forward to reading your report since our daughters are close in age!

Great start... Where at in SC do you live? We are from Prosperity. Nice to see fellow Disney lovers from SC!
I'm in Greenville! Lived here about 2 years and I love, love love it. Such a cool little town. We are actually moving to PA in a few months, and I am desperately going to miss it!

I can't wait to read your TR. We are taking my DD on her first trip ever next month and she is 4.5 so I am looking forward to reading your report since our daughters are close in age!
4.5 was a pretty great age, IMO! She was old enough to avoid meltdowns for the most part, but young enough that the magic was still incredibly magical!

We just got back from a FANTASTIC week at Disney and I feel like I want to blog about it because I have zero memory and I don't want to forget anything! This trip is brought to you by MomMom and Papa, also known as the world's best grandparents (not too shabby as parents either). Maddie knew we were going to Disney, but didn't know when.

3de41be1-cf61-438a-9086-20aba74e54a7.jpg

happy as a clam on our long car trip in MomMom's "movie theater car" (she has a dvd player)

We actually told her that we were going to see her Papa (which was true- we just didn't say where and she assumed PA!). We left early Saturday morning, picked Dad up from the airport in Orlando around 6:30, and went to our hotel (we stayed offsite our first night). Needless to say, she was pretty excited to find out that we were actually in FL! She did some serious jumping up and down and grinning from ear to ear when we got to our hotel and told her that we were going to Animal Kingdom in the morning.
IMG_0296.jpg

good thing she can't read

We went over to check out Downtown Disney and grab some dinner at about 7:30 Saturday night. Probably not the best night for DD, it was packed!!! We made our way down to Earl of Sandwich, but the line was insane and didn't seem to be moving very quickly, so we went with plan B and found Wolfgang Puck Express, where we had a really yummy dinner. Maddie was beside herself not only to be in Disney World, but also to see her Papa!
IMG_0299.jpg

After that we had to check out the world's largest Disney store, where we bought some (pink!) mickey ears and saw tick tock croc! Bless her heart, we literally toured a very crowded DD for less than an hour, and she already thought that Disney World was the greatest place ever! Little did she know what was in store for the rest of the week!
IMG_0300.jpg

After that it was bedtime! We were up early the next morning so we could go check into our hotel- Art of Animation!- and then head out to Animal Kingdom. Art of Animation was amazing from the second we pulled up. Maddie absolutely loved it! Obviously, we were in the Lion King section.
IMG_0515.jpg

Yay!
IMG_0564.jpg

check in side of the lobby
IMG_0565.jpg

other side of the lobby- so cool!
IMG_0531.jpg

the first thing Maddie saw when we pulled up...that's all she needed to see to know she loved it!
IMG_0308.jpg

Check in was quick (I had already done online check in). Our room wasn't ready yet, so we left our luggage with bell services and hopped on a bus to Animal Kingdom! While we were waiting for my dad to park the car, a CM walked up and offered Maddie several Simba stickers- such a little thing but it made her SO excited and it was just right away a magical Disney day!

I know the bus service varies a lot from person to person at every resort, but we had fantastic luck with the buses. I think we waited once for 15 minutes, but every other time it was less than 5 minutes and we never had to stand.

Next...we're off to Animal Kingdom!!!

AoA looks amazing! I can't wait to see Maddie's reaction to the parks! I have a soon to be 4 year old DS that I really want to take soon and seeing Maddie's excitement makes me want to even more. There is a special kind of magic at that age I think. I can't wait for more!

AoA looks amazing! I can't wait to see Maddie's reaction to the parks! I have a soon to be 4 year old DS that I really want to take soon and seeing Maddie's excitement makes me want to even more. There is a special kind of magic at that age I think. I can't wait for more!

Oh wow, you are super close to us.. only about an hour.. Hate you are moving... :) Maddie is so cute too, I have a 4.5 year old boy!

Came over from the April 2013 thread! Great start! I love the AOA pictures. We went to visit there on our trip and it is really an adorable resort. :)

IMG_0529.jpg

Her beloved Animal Kingdom outfit! Borrowed the shirt, made the skirt (Lion King fabric is super hard to find!) and the tail is from her Halloween costume, lol! You'll get to see the matching hat/mane later on, but it was a warm day so we only wore that to FotLK :).

Since check in was so quick and we didn't have to go to our room, we arrived at Animal Kingdom right after 9, opening time! We went and grabbed a fast pass (FP) for the safari and then walked the Pagani trail. We saw real life Timon!
IMG_0312.jpg

Next we hopped on the train over to Rafiki's Planet Watch. We pet some animals in Affection Section and then headed in to meet Rafiki! MomMom and Papa started talking to one of Rafiki's handlers about Maddie's love (obsession) of the Lion King and Simba (pretty obvious with her well loved Simba and outfit, complete with tail!), and the handler asked us to stay put for just a minute. When he came back, he told us that he called and arranged for us to have front row seats to the 1:30 Festival of the Lion King show!!! Pretty exciting to get that kind of pixie dust on our first morning :). Thanks Corey!

IMG_0316.jpg

Rafiki lifted Maddie's Simba up in the air and pretended to rub something on his head just like in the movie- she was so excited! Great first character interaction!

After that we went on the safari- very cool! We saw lots of animals up close and Maddie loved riding through the pride lands. We saw a cheetah that Mads was pretty excited about and we were able to glimpse the lions- saw a female lion pretty well! On the way out of Africa Maddie stopped to play the drums.
IMG_0317.jpg

This CM was very nice and not nearly as bored as she appears to be in this photo, lol!

After all that animal viewing we were hungry, so we went over to Flame Tree and had lunch with a pretty cool view of Everest! Mads and I split the rib/chicken combo and I thought the ribs were very average, but the chicken was pretty tasty!

After lunch we had time to meet Russell and Dug from Up, and it was another fantastic interaction! They loved Maddie's tail and her Simba, and Russell really liked signing his autograph on a page with his name and picture on it! They played with her for a couple of minutes- Dug even pretended to put Simba in his wagon to take home. Maddie thought they were pretty hilarious. I just love Up!
IMG_0320.jpg

After that we grabbed some dessert (yum!) and saw good old Donald before checking in at the exit of Festival of the Lion King for our front row seats! It was an amazing show- those performers are so talented! Sitting on the front row was unforgettable, Maddie got tons of attention and high fives from the performers during the show, and got picked to be one of the kids in the parade around the theater at the end! She was in heaven!

IMG_0324.jpg

My mom and I with our Mickey snacks! Mads got a strawberry bar- she's obsessed with pink/strawberry and that's always her pick if available

IMG_0325.jpg

Donald also took a long time playing with Maddie and Simba- even balanced him on his head! I give all the characters in Animal Kingdom two thumbs up :)

IMG_0550.jpg

waiting for the show to start! rocking the hat now :)

IMG_0327.jpg

Whoa. The real Simba.

IMG_0329.jpg

Time for the parade!

We left that show feeling so special! It was delightful to see Maddie get so much special attention and really enjoy that show to the fullest, because she really adores Lion King SO much. :goodvibes

It was going to be hard to top that experience, but it was time to ride some rides! While we sent our special FP runner (that would be Papa) off to get Dinosaur passes, we headed over to the Boneyard, the playground at AK. Maddie LOVED it! It was super hot, but she didn't want to leave she was having so much fun! She played for so long that Dad was able to run up to Asia and grab some Expedition Everest FPs when it was time.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

caves to play in?? awesome!

Next we headed over to Dinosaur, also known as the most terrifying ride at Disney World (in my opinion- I may have grabbed on to my mom's arm the first time we rode it). Maddie LOVED it! At first I thought she was scared, but soon realized she was actually laughing hysterically. Goober. As soon as it was over, she wanted to ride it again! There was almost no stand by line, so we hopped on again!
IMG_0336.jpg

Next it was off to Expedition Everest. Much to Maddie's dismay, she had to sit that one out because she is too short. But it was time for a snack break, and we were pleased to find cheese/crackers/fruit available for a snack! Thanks Disney! Mom and I rode EE first, and then Dad and I....it was awesome!!! Very fun roller coaster. After that it was time to cool off and sit down to enjoy the Finding Nemo musical show, which Maddie and I enjoyed, but for some reason my mom and dad dislike Nemo.

We were headed to Asia for Kali River Rapids next, but the moment we walked out of Nemo it started POURING rain and thundering. Of course as soon as dad bought Maddie a poncho, it stopped raining (probably only rained for about 15 minutes), but because of the thunder they closed down Kali. We decided to go ride Maddie's fave, Dinosaur one more time instead! After that it was almost time for our dinner reservations at Rainforest Cafe, but we had time to stop and watch It's Tough to Be a Bug first. Maddie's favorite part just happened to be everyone else's least favorite, when it feels like a bug is running under your bum on your seat. She thought it was a snake. And loved it. That child.....
IMG_0338.jpg

rockin' some 3d glasses with MomMom

After that we had a really great meal at Rainforest Cafe, which was a really fun (if loud!) restaurant. I got a Landry's card before we went in my mom's name, since her birthday was during our trip. The card was $25, but we got our first visit $25 off, plus her birthday $25 off, plus preferred seating right next to a big old gorilla! I recommend doing this if you know for sure you'll be eating at a Landry's restaurant.

Animal Kingdom was a lot of fun. I think it was a good first park, we were all happy and it was the least crowded of any of our days which was nice. And all of the characters we met had short lines and really took their time for great interactions. We missed out on Kali, Maharajah trail and Flights of Wonder, but I'm pleased with everything we fit in and we didn't go too fast for our first day. My mom was so tickled by the number of "Happy Birthdays" she received bc she was wearing her birthday button! Disney is awesome :).

We hopped on a bus back to AoA and even though we were exhausted, it was fun to see some more of our awesome hotel!!!

Maddie was asleep on the bus ride home...but the stroller ride to our room left her jaw dropped and wide awake!
IMG_0527.jpg

it's a table...it's a bed...it's a table bed!
IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

pretty darn happy about her sleeping arrangements!

All of our luggage was waiting for us when we got to our room-yay! I did get our 4th floor request, but got a parking lot view instead of courtyard like I requested. Oh well, we were so tired each day we basically just got in bed and went to sleep anyway! After a quick bath, Mads was out like a light. My mom and I popped over to the food court to buy milk and fruit (we brought cereal and breakfast bars) for breakfast. Oh and I got rice krispy bites- those were so good!

Our suite fridge was extremely cold, which was great. Our a/c only went down to 68, but I was actually very chilly the first night and we slept with it on 69 after that. All of the beds were comfy, although I'm quite sure I could've slept on a slab of cement I was so tired each night!

And that's all for Day 1! Goodnight!
IMG_0551.jpg

I love your daughter's collection of very loved Simbas! My youngest son has a very similar collection but Plutos. Enjoying your report so far.

We checked into AoA the same day as you did! Will follow along on your report! We were in the FN section, but walked through the other sections one evening to check them out! LOVE the theming of AoA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter