• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yippee! It's my one year low carb anniversary today!

ZerasPride

DVC Member Since 2001
My one year low carb anniversary is today, December 1, 2004. I almost can’t believe it was one year ago today that me and my husband thought we’d give another diet a try. My sister in law had lost about 70 pounds on Atkins and looked wonderful. We decided to go with South Beach only because a kind soul at work lent me his book, I read it and it made perfect since so we set December 1, 2003 as our start date and proceeded to eat ourselves into little carby comas before our start date!

I didn’t think we’d get through Phase 1 of South Beach so I had no expectations or goals as to where I wanted to be "one year from now". I just wanted to get through the first two weeks and then see what happened. By the end of the first month I had lost over 20 pounds and started to think to myself that maybe this could be it. Warning: This is going to be one of my famous long rambling posts so the faint of heart should back out of this thread now - ha! Consider yourself warned!

So many things have changed this past year for me and so many things are exactly the same. I mean, I have the same job, husband, teen son, live in the same townhouse, you get the picture. But I’m different. Yes, there’s the physical part of me that’s different. When you lose 92 pounds, you can’t help but look different. But I have experienced surprising and exciting changes that are honestly worth as much as the outward metamorphosis. I feel so much more confident and am so much happier than I used to be. I carry around a pic of me at my heaviest weight and whenever I pull it out to remind myself of how far I have come, I am struck by how miserable I was and how sad I looked in that picture. Now, though, I smile all the time. It literally is noticed by other people. Case in point, at work. Last year I got one of the worst job performance reviews of my life. My job was in danger and I received a miserable bonus. Fast forward one year and every single evaluation I have received has been absolutely glowing and my bonus was three times as much as last year. In just about every review, people say the same thing, "she seems so happy", "she’s always smiling and willing to go above and beyond." My office manager said it’s like I’m a different person and in some ways, I guess I am.

I have had times when I’ve passed a mirror and thought, "wow, that’s a nice looking gal", and then caught my breath when I realized it was me! Nothing is more unnerving, disconcerting and deliciously exciting as that! Noticing things like your collarbone, kneebones and seeing your tummy become conclave are just some of the changes I have enjoyed. Also fitting into my car seat in my Saturn, crossing my legs, shopping at regular sized stores just like all my skinny sisters and fitting comfortably in my bathtub are other delights.

Now for my stats: for the record, I have lost 92 pounds to date. I have lost over 100 inches, gone from a size 9 to a size 8 and sometimes 7-1/2 shoe; I used to wear XXXL tops and now I wear some large but mostly medium tops and even have a few size small turtlenecks in my closet. I started off wearing a size 26 jeans and they were getting tight. Today my slacks are anywhere from a size 14 or a 12 and I even own one pair of size 10 stretch jeans and it just tickles me to death everytime I wear them! I remember when I first got them home. I stood in my full length mirror and just stared at the tag on the back of my size 10 jeans. I still want to shout it from the rooftops.

In addition to doing the South Beach Diet (and mixing a little Atkins in there), I work out faithfully just about everyday with the Firm (hi fellow Firmies!). I even took my Firm tapes and fanny lifter on vacation at Hilton Head last week and worked out everyday (except our travel days) and one day I even did two work outs! Obsessive? Probably but I’m loving every single obsessive minute of it! I have probably done more exercising in the past year than I have in my entire life combined before this and thanks to the Firm work outs and the encouragement I get from my buddies on this site, I don’t plan on slowing down anytime soon.

I want to give a special "shout out" to everyone that has helped me as I travel along this path. I won’t dare name names for fear of leaving out someone but you know who you are. With your encouragement, support, challenges, virtual pats on the back, private messages, kicks in the booty when needed, emails and such, I feel like I know so many of you personally and I can almost feel you all lifting me up during those down periods that all dieters inevitably go through.

I have about 35 pounds to go to get to my goal and even then for a 5'1" tall woman I will still be considered overweight but you know something? I just don’t care. I’ve decided to go for an ultimate size goal instead of a weight goal. I figure if I can wear 14's, 12's and 10's now at 190 pounds, then when I’m down another 35 I should be solidly in a size 10 and maybe some 8's by the time I get to 155. I know I’m muscular and would never be able to wear these sizes at this weight without my daily Firm work outs. Being someone that was overweight all her life, I am at a lower weight now than I have been since I was 18 and I’m in my 30's and just loving it! I might even find that I’m in a solid size 10 before 155 but I would eventually like to hover somewhere between 150 and 155 but not getting above that weight.

I’m sorry this post is so long but I didn’t want my anniversary to go by without acknowledging all that I have accomplished. I am definitely still a work in progress and have days where this weight loss scares me. I have to do a lot of positive self talk the closer I get to goal. People seem to treat me different, way better than when I was very obese. They seem to have expectations of me that I’m not sure I can always fulfill and there are times when I’m tempted (but not often now at all) to go back to the old comfortable familiar me. But I have worked too hard and come too far to do that. I will never be that sad miserable girl in the picture I carry in my purse. I owe her something. To be the best me that I can be, physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Oh, and to finally clean out my closet and get rid of all my "big girl" clothes. For some reason I haven't been able to do that but I am making a promise to myself to give my old clothes away. I just don't need them anymore. It's time.

So, if you are just starting on your weight loss journey and wonder if you can do this, please know you can. Don’t you just hate it when someone says, "if I can do it, then you can"? That sounds patronizing sometimes but it’s so true in this case. I never thought I could or would lose this weight. I never thought I’d go a year eating this way - and cheat free too the entire time! If someone would have told me that I would want to exercise every single day - even on vacation - I would have told them they were out of their mind and if they would have told me I’d be comfortably walking around Hilton Head Island in a pair of "vanity" capris pants with writing on the booty and a cute little white teeshirt, I’d have said they were smoking something illegal. But here I am. And you can be here too. Work your plan, whatever eating plan it is, drink your water, exercise, it feels so good to work your body, and no matter what don’t give up on yourself, even if you have a misstep. You are so worth it and for the first time in my life, I know I’m worth it too!

Thanks for listening and for celebrating my anniversary with me!

Love and hugs from me to all of you!!!!

Lisa,

I've been watching from afar and you are an inspiration and should be so proud! What a great thread to read today! Keep up all the good work!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

:Pinkbounc :flower1: :cheer2:

I'd love to see before and 'almost there' pics!

So happy to hear of your success....quite an inspiration to the rest of us!

ZerasPride said:
They seem to have expectations of me that I’m not sure I can always fulfill and there are times when I’m tempted (but not often now at all) to go back to the old comfortable familiar me. But I have worked too hard and come too far to do that. I will never be that sad miserable girl in the picture I carry in my purse. I owe her something. To be the best me that I can be, physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Oh, and to finally clean out my closet and get rid of all my "big girl" clothes. For some reason I haven't been able to do that but I am making a promise to myself to give my old clothes away. I just don't need them anymore. It's time.

Thank-you for sharing such heart felt thoughts with us.

Lisa ~ You truly are an inspiration. Enjoy your anniversay.

Congratulations!! Oh Lisa I'm so happy for you and your success. ::yes:: I remember your first journal and WISH posts full of optimism and committment and look at you now!! You are such an inspiration. As someone who has a hard time as of late staying committed and on plan you remind me it IS possible - and I CAN do it. Thank You and enjoy this day - it's your Healthy Birthday - the day a healthier you was born! :hug:

Congratulation on your anniversary. You have been one of my inspirations on this board. Don't worry about having a goal weight above your "ideal weight" I have come to believe the BMI is totally off base. It does not take into account the muscles you are building from all of your working out. Just think if we listened to the "experts" we would not be on SBD or Atkins in the first place. My dad was on the "heart healthy" diet and ended up with an iron deficiency because he wasn't eating enough meat. He would only eat a small piece of meat with one meal a day. He has since switched (sort of) to SBD to improve his iron. I still don't think he eats enough meat though (old habits die hard).

I am sure you will find a weight and size that is healthy for you. Keep up the great work and all the best to you.

What a great post, Lisa. Thanks and congrats to you for your anniversary. See, if you take this journey one day at a time, look what can be accomplished. You are truly an inspiration to us all. :flower1:

Congratulations Lisa! You are such an inspiration to everyone. I'm so happy for you! So glad that you're smiling now! WAY TO GO!!!!

Congratulations and thanks for a wonderful post. I am printing it out to keep for inspiration--I love success stories!!

Wow Lisa!!!!

Thanks for the inspiring, heart-felt post. Your progress is awsome. Your resolve is incredible. I am so happy to get to know you and follow your journey :)

Keep up the great work. You have so much to be thankful for and proud of :)

Yours is an incredible story, and I cannot believe a year has gone by already. You are an inspiration. Happy anniversary!!!

Lisa, thank you so much for your post! You're truly an inspiration to me, & to all of us! Keep up the great work! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

:cheer2: Wow Lisa a Year!!!!!!!! Congratulations! You have come a long way baby :flower1: You be proud of your accomplishment because it is AWESOME :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

July

now send us some pictures :3dglasses

Congratulations!! :Pinkbounc :cool1:

I was doing SBD when you first started and am so proud of you for doing so well. This is my first time back on WISH boards in a long time! I just had my third baby and am giving myself until the holidays are over and then I will start SBD again. I lost 35 pounds before I got pregnant, and I know you will be one of my inspirations to lose the weight again!

Lisa, what a wonderful post! I've got tears in my eyes after reading about this incredible year! Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us, not just in this thread, but always! You are my biggest inspiration!

Congratulations on all that you've accomplished in this amazing year of your life!!

:flower1:

Hi Lisa,

Congratulations on your success!

My husband and I have tried different things, I actually joined a program at the Health Spa and exercised my butt off! Literally!!

I was injured and had to stop, and my weight started creaping back. I need to do something - any suggestions on how to start and keep going?

We too eat ourselves into a carb coma, but come out of it and do it again :guilty:

Thanks,

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter