• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

yet more atkins questions

jfulcer

DIS Old Timer
Ok, so DW and I are doing atkins and I have a few questions for those who may know...

We found a sweetened flavored water that is sweetened with Splenda. I know the Induction phase says we should only consume 3 packets of Splenda, so how can I really figure out how I should include this in my carb counts for this drink?

As I was going through the fridge tossing out a lot of things that we won't be able to use anymore, I found some bacon bits. Even though it lists the carbs as zero, it also has brown sugar on the list. Aren't 'sugar' and 'brown sugar' things I'm supposed to remove completely, or is a little bacon bits sprinkked on our salads ok?

Thanks!

You can drink waters and sodas sweetened with Splenda... just don't let them take the place of the pure water you're supposed to be drinking.

The limit on the packets of Splenda probably has more to do with the fillers they use in the packets (dextrose and maltodextrin, which are sugars), than with the actual sucralose (Splenda) itself. Sucralose has no carbs. Splenda packets or granular are bulked up so you can see and effectively measure them, and those fillers contain carbs.

Each packet of Splenda has 1 carb (actually .9)

Each teaspoon of granular Splenda has 1 carb, 24 carbs in 1 cup.

24 packets of Splenda = 1 cup of granular Splenda = 24 carbs.

If you wanted to be safe, you could count each serving of the sweetened drink as 1 carb.

As far as the bacon bits... you really would rather eat bacon with no sugar in it. However, if you keep your serving size to whatever the label says, and count that serving as 1 carb rather than zero, you'd probably do alright to finish the package off rather than toss it. That stuff isn't cheap. ;) I wouldn't buy them again, though.

Thanks!

I was telling DW to figure 1 packet of splenda per drink. We figured drinking one of those a day would be a good way to get that 'sweet' tooth craving settled. It's good to know someone else was figuring about the same.

We are including the bits as a carb added to the salad, so that's in line with your suggestion. I would like to find some bits without the sugar. I'd rather spend the carbs on something else. :)

That's what I do, too. If one serving says zero carbs., I know that it could be .1 to .9 and still be labeled zero.

God bless you, best wishes, and encouragement, RaySharpton:)

Jeff, it's great to see you here. Are you going to be taking the WISH challenge? Please say yes. We need more men in our support group.

Lots of Atkins followers here, including me.

If you decide to take the challenge will you post to our challenge thread too? Please? You will find it <b>HERE</b>.

Then if you want you can add the member clipart to your signature and there is a post all about that right <b>HERE</b>.

I sure hope you will be taking the challenge :)

Katholyn

Where do you think is the best place to purchase Atkins food items? I want to purchase the bread, muffins, etc but each time I go to our grocery store they are out of the items. Thanks:D

Originally posted by Auntmeme
Where do you think is the best place to purchase Atkins food items? I want to purchase the bread, muffins, etc but each time I go to our grocery store they are out of the items. Thanks:D

Believe it or not...we have local ice cream shoppes here that carry tons of atkins products. They even sell soft serve atkins ice cream right from the machine. Maybe local yougurt or ice cream shoppes have it in your area too.??

Or you could always get it from the catalog!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter