yet another stroller question

luna

Earning My Ears
We are making our first WDW trip with our 20 month old this month and I had planned to bring along our own stroller. It is an expensive Maclaren, and now I am getting nervous about it getting stollen in the parks. I can't believe anyone visiting WDW would think to steal a stroller, but I'm sure it can happen. Is it possible to lock up the stroller if we are all on a ride, or would we be best off just renting a stroller in the parks? The obvious drawback to renting is that I don't think the park strollers would be nearly as comfortable for ds, and we would not have a stroller to get him to and from the park.

Sorry no one else has replied yet, they will! IMHO, take your own! This will be our 4th trip, 2 wks from today, and we're finally taking our own! You'll have the stroller from the park gates to the car/bus/monorail whatever and, from there, to the hotel whatever! Plus, you'll have it at the airport! Just get a gate-check (is my understanding) and the stroller will be waiting for you when you depart the plane! Your 20-mo old is way too young to be expected to walk any duration and, for that matter, be held for any duration! I've researched renting the park strollers (which I did before), renting off-site (not bad actually) and, bringing my own; I'm bringing my own for DD-3-1/2yo! Have a great trip! ºoº

You can't lock your stroller TO anything because CMs need to be able to move them to keep paths clear in case of fire or ride evacuation.They also move them to keep things obderly in the smallest amount of space.
You can lock your stroller in a way that it can't be used, but can still be moved. I've heard of people putting a lock across the seat, so it can't be sat in without unlocking. You can also run the lock cable thru one set of wheels; if you lock both front wheels together, for example, it can still be moved by tilting it back on the rear wheels, but not used.

I'm familiar with the MacClaren (spelling). I think I'd go buy a cheap Kolcraft or other cheap stroller or renting for this trip and leave the MacClaren behind. It will be a hassle to keep locking up your stroller and it sort of tells a potential thief that you have something worth stealing.

I'm renting for my next trip (I have a Peg Perego). I do remember from a 1997 trip that I did see several luxury line strollers outside of rides. But, given what happened to a previous poster on this board, I wouldn't want to take the risk.

20 months old is probably old enough to do a little walking to get to the parts of the parks with the strollers. I had an 11 month old with me last time that I had to keep lugging everywhere when she wasn't in the stroller. My arms really hurt by the end of the day.

With a 20 month old, I'd definitely recommend bringing some kind of your own stroller. There's a lot of walking to do just to get into the parks, so I can't imagine not having one then. I know 20 month olds can walk (I have one myself), but they can be slow, they like to choose their own direction, and it's not very comfortable for them to have to hold an adults hand for very long. Mine also happens to be very heavy, so I wouldn't want to have to carry him for long.

I don't really have good advice as to wether to risk brining your expensive stroller or not. I do think it'd be a very good idea to have something comfortable...especially if you expect your 20 month old to take naps in it. It'd also be good to have something with some kind of sun shield. If you're taking Disney transportation, you'll also probably want something that folds up reasonably well. If your expensive stroller meets all those criteria, I'd personally choose to bring it....you could choose to do lots of stuff to make it very distinctive looking and which would take time for a thief to dismantle....I've seen suggestions such as tying bandanas to it or some kind of unique decoration.....maybe that would convince a prospective thief to look elsewhere (and it would also make it nearly impossible for someone to make an innocent mistake and take your stroller by accident.)

Have a fun trip!

Someone also suggested once putting a cable lock on the stroller in a way that made it non-foldable, but not unusable. That way, at least if someone takes it, they couldn't fold it to take it in their car or on a bus.
Plus marking to make it obvious that it's yours.
Some strollers are stollen, but I'm sure some are taken by mistake. All you have to do is go to the store and see how many people take your filled cart by mistake to see how easily it can happen.

I'd buy an inexpensive umbrella, especially if you are relying on the buses/boats/monorail for transportation. They have baskets and can recline and also have canopies, and are much lighter and easy to handle. Airlines can do a job on your strollers too.

I have four children (ages 10, 5, 4 & 2) I have had at least a dozen strollers. I think I may have a problem, kind of like some women have with buying shoes!! Only I buy strollers! Anyway, I have brought 4 different Peg Perego's to WDW and never have had a problem. I always put a luggage tag with our info on the stroller so that it can be easily identified! I wouldn't hesitate to bring your Maclaren, your 20 m/o will probably be more comfortable in it anyway. Enjoy your trip!

it must be a New Jersey thing tiggersmomof4 - I have 2 kids and 7 strollers. The night before our recent trip to WDW I actually had to CALL my husband from Babies R US to help talk me out of buying THE double jogging stroller that was on SALE and I absolutely NEEDED!

Anyway - Luna - take your own stroller! So much more comfortable for your child. I read somewhere to put masking tape around the handle and write your name or something apparent. I'm sure strollers get stolen - but it's definitely more the exception. I just got back from 2 weeks there with a Peg Perego double and I still have it! Good Luck!

schmoopie

I am laughing so hard right now!! Were you at the Babies R Us in Bridgewater??? I live in Basking Ridge, I noticed you're from Raritan--small world!

I was just there and bought a new Pliko Sherpa which I am keeping in the box till we go in Oct!!!! My husband thinks I am crazy!!Do you think health insurance pays for Compulsive Stroller Buying therapy???

My name is Patti, and I'm a stroller purchasing fanatic who also used to live in Basking Ridge, NJ!!! Is there a support group!?!?!?

We moved here five years ago, but I have to say we have 5 malls in this town, and they all beat Bridgewater hands down! The shopping I really miss is Reading, PA, but at least we have a Belz (like in Orlando)!!!

To go back on topic...if you're that nervous buy a $40 Kolcraft, but I definitely think bringing your own is the way to go!

Patti <---who had the same conversation from Babies R Us recently about buying a new double stroller for June trip!

Patti-

You moved too soon!! About 18 mo. ago, they built a new mall in Bridgewater with Target, Home Depot, Babies r Us, Costco, etc. etc...

And we now have Jersey Gardens Outlet in Elizabeth which is huge!!!

But the shopping in Vegas is probably still better and the weather definitely is!!

Tracey-Inaugural Member of Stroller Buyers Anonymous!!

LOL Tracey!!! I definitely think we moved too late!!! We love it here!

The weather is definitely fabulous - I do not have good hair for humidity!!! Florida kills me!

Glad to hear the shopping outlook is better for Jersey! We have a lot of everything here, which is nice. The fact that just about everything here is 24 hours helps, too! In a shopping emergency, the mall in Caesers Palace is open until midnight!

We do not have Kids R Us, though, which I used to rely on for clearances!

BTW---I am buying a new stroller for our June trip!

Patti

I have a bag tag on mine on the bar near the basket and quite a few return address labels with my name on too. and inmamny spots only I would know to look for. I always take my own because my DD loves her stroller. and I just cannot rent one.you never know what was in it before you. or what was done in it. I have seen little boys pee all over them and I always wonder if they are cleaned....

A good friend is moving to Jersey in a couple of weeks. I'll have find out if she will be near Bridgwater, and tell her to keep an eye out for the stroller-adicts group LOL

I would be sure to mark the stroller well and maybe put something in the seat , just to avoid it being misstake for someones elses. They might not look over one well but would notice something not theirs in the seat when they started to put the child in it.

Take the Maclaren! They are THE perfect WDW stroller, as everyone who has taken one there knows!

I'm paranoid about mine, because it took me so long to discover them, and it is -so- integral to our getting through a trip without meltdowns (on anyone's part ! Those of you who have tried to cart a bulky stroller on buses and up stairs know what I'm talking about.) BTW, for those who have recommended that she take an umbrella stroller instead; a Maclaren -is- an umbrella stroller, the best-made umbrella stroller in the world.
They are aluminum, and actually weigh less than a cheapie Walmart umbrella stroller that's made of steel, even though they have full hoods, legrests, baskets and variable recline.

I agree that most strollers are taken by mistake, but I'm not sure that Maclarens are common victims of that; they are still rare in the US, so you don't see legions of them at WDW. What worries me more is the eBay risk. Disney is aware that some people steal strollers on purpose, but when I've asked, I've been told that they usually turn up in a few days, having been abandoned somewhere on the property when the thief no longer needs it. CM's I talked to said that Maclarens are not commonly seen in the Lost Property room, however.

With that info in mind, I decided that the best compromise for me between peace of mind and aggravation was to lock the frame of the stroller so that it can't be folded. I lock it once when I arrive at a park, and don't have to mess with it again until we are ready to leave. I use a regular combination padlock that has a long 4" hasp, and I lock it across the hatchwork at the back of the basket, where the lift-latch is. I also put a large laminated label on it that identifies our resort and dates of stay, so that it can be returned to me immediately if it does manage to wander. Our name and home address are on return address labels shellacked onto the underside of the frame in 3 places. These precautions enable me to stop worrying about losing it, so that I can relax and have fun.

When we travel by air I slip a ripstop fabric sleeve over the main body of the folded stroller, with the wheels and handles sticking out. This protects it from dirt, rain, and accidental unfolding while it's being moved. I've gate-checked it more than 30 times now; no damage so far.

Luna - I apologize for using your stroller question as a help group for stroller-buying freaks, but I just have to add one more thing. I was happy to be able to share everyone's input with my husband who thought I was the only one with such a "problem." He thought it was hysterical!

Oh, and I actually just had a thought. If anyone in New Jersey doesn't want to own yet one more stroller, I'd be happy to lend you one of mine! You could have your choice of 2 double strollers!

Thanks for all the replies. This is my first post on the board, and it has been very helpful. I will take my Maclaren and do my best to make it undesireable to steal. It is such a great stroller, and my baby is as comfortable in it as I am wheeling him in it. Schmoopie- I chuckled when I saw your post, as schmoopie is my nickname for my little guy.

Luna - excellent decision! You, and your little schmoopie, definitely need to be happy and comfortable with the stroller you bring. Remember, you're going to be pushing it, and he'll be riding in it, for miles and miles! If that's what he's use to, go with what you know! Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!