• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another poncho thread...

SkylarKD

Mouseketeer
My fiance thinks I'm nuts for buying 10 $1 ponchos.

We're going at the end of August and I keep telling him that it will likely rain for a while every day, and we can still go on the rides when its raining. I don't really like being wet, so I'll probably use the ponchos, but he doesn't think he will use them.

Do a lot of people really wear the $1 ponchos? (I guess they DO look a bit silly) Will he be thanking me, or saying they were a waste of space? (small amount of space, but space nonetheless)

Anytime that I've seen it raining, it's a sea of all kinds of ponchos. The Mickey ones are made exactly the same, so you won't look any different from anyone else. I had a friend who just went in June and I recommended buying the $1 ponchos. So she bought enough for everyday. Her husband thought she was nuts, but when it rained some everyday and they had them ready, he changed his mind. Take the ponchos...he'll appreciate it!!

We mostly go in November/Early December where it doesn't rain as often, but we have been a few times in September where it seems like it rains almost every afternoon.

I think it's a good idea. We brought the 2 for $1 poncho's last November and we had 1 day where it poured for several hours. It was nice to have those kind so we could throw them away afterwards and not have to carry them with us all wet. I have bought the thicker $10 kind and they are heavier to carry in a backpack and you don't throw them away. That was fine when we used a stroller, but not now.

The only thing about poncho's is you feel like your in a garbage bag. They get sticky and hot. We have decided this year to buy 4 small purse umbrellas that will open up to decent size umbrellas and use those. Luckily we are going in November and will only have to take them on the days they call for rain. We usually get lucky and don't experience much rain.

Our July 2002 trip we purchased several of the $1 ponchos and found them to be like wearing plastic bags . . they were really not fun when they started to cling and stick to your body.

Last year before our June 2003 trip we purchased the vinyl ones from Wal-mart for $2.88 each and used them the entire trip. They weren't as convenient as the little packed away in a bag ones, but at least we didn't feel like we were wearing plastic bags and they didn't cling to us.

I always buy a $1 poncho in a pouch for every theme park day of my trips (and in the Summer, I usually end up using them all) :rolleyes: It does feel a little like wearing a garbage bag, but it's a lot easy that trying to lug large, bulky poncho like the yellow Mickey ones around the parks. You can just stic the pouch into your camera bag, fanny pack, or purse and off you go. And don't be affraid of looking silly. I've seen lots of other people wear them too. It's fairly normal.

We quickly decided, that we would rather be wet than suffocated!

They were hot and sticky and it felt like I was wrapped in Saran wrap. That was 3 years ago, and my family has been poncholess ever since! LOL

We have been very lucky, and it never rained on any of our trips to WDW (did I just jinx myself?).

Anyhow my nephew always wanted to get a DIS poncho to just have. I told him thats it's 'bad luck' to buy a poncho when its sunny. Doing that will welcome the rain.

Hopefully in a few weeks when we go down, I still wont have to by a poncho! Its Disney...I can still Dream!!!!

:earsboy:

I bought the $10 waterproof windbreaker from Old Navy for last September's trip. It poured everday last trip. They windbreakers packed into the front pocket, so they were not as bulky. I tied mine around my waist. It did not leak at all. My husband complained when I bought them, but after a couple of days he thought that it was the best thing I ever purchased.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter