Yellowstone

If it snows in June, then I'm assuming they have very short summers. We will be there Sept 7,8,9. I wasn't planning on winter clothes, but after reading this post I need to ask - will I need to bring a winter coat? DH and I are seniors, and don't plan on hiking - our mobility plan will be to stay on pavement or boarded trails close to parking. Would I still need boots to keep my feet dry under these circumstances?

I don't think you'll need boots, although I admit that I haven't been in September. The only time I got really wet feet was on the ranger-led "Storm Point Saunter", a hike by Lake Yellowstone (let me tell you, it wasn't a "saunter". I was done in by the end). On boardwalks and pavement my feet were fine in my Sauconys. If you have time, I recommend a yellow bus tour. We did the sunset one, and I loved it!

PICT0173.jpg

If it snows in June, then I'm assuming they have very short summers. We will be there Sept 7,8,9. I wasn't planning on winter clothes, but after reading this post I need to ask - will I need to bring a winter coat? DH and I are seniors, and don't plan on hiking - our mobility plan will be to stay on pavement or boarded trails close to parking. Would I still need boots to keep my feet dry under these circumstances?
BRING LAYERS!!! I can't stress that enough.

We were there August 29-September 6 last year, and we had some very cool weather - it even snowed a little bit one night! The highs were only in the 40s on two days, and it was in the 20s at night for several nights.

We actually had ALL kinds of weather - the day we arrived it was in the 80s, but four days later it was in the 40s with some snow! I had brought several layers (including a Lands End squall jacket), and there were times when I was wearing ALL of them, plus gloves, hat, and fleece head band over my ears.

Early September was really a nice time to be there crowd-wise - not too many people around. Have a great trip!

You should be fine without boots - the exception would be if it's actively raining since that will get your feet wet.

I live in Houston and we have planned our trip mid June as well. Although I cancelled and rescheduled for next year, I see that our plans are very similar. We will be staying at Old Faithful Inn for 2 nts and then Mammoth Hot Springs for 2 nts. We were planning on leaving Houston and driving to Amarillo and stay with cousins the first night, then on to Pueblo, Co to stay with my sister. After leaving Pueblo, we plan to drive to Jackson for 2nts. In Grand Tetons we plan to go rafting and spend a 1/2 day visiting Lake Jenny and hiking before heading to Yellowstone. We were going to visit some museums in Cody when we leave YNP on our way to SD. We plan on staying btw. Cody and Devil's Tower with a stop at Devil's Tower on our way to Hill City for 3 nts. We plan on being gone 2 wks. We were able to schedule dining reservations a year in advance for the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room. We also made ressies for the Western Cookout that leaves from Roosevelt Lodge. This looks like fun and you need reservations in advance. My kids are 8 and 5 and enjoyed doing the Ranger Programs in any National Pak we visit. Ask at any Visitor Center for programs available for children. Hope you have a great time.

Hi there,

I am not sure this thread is still alive but thought I would join in since we are going next summer (June 19th - June 28th) our children will also be 5 and 8! We have our reservations for YNP (Snow Lodge, Mammoth Hot Springs and Canyon. We also have reservatins for the Western Cookout, did not make any other dining reservations, perhaps I should :confused3

Still have not decided on where to stay in GTNP or to stay in Jackson. Where are you staying in GTNP?

Thanks,

Beth

I am looking to plan our first big vacation that does not involve WDW. We are going to Yellowstone from Houston in the SUV. We have reservations for two nights at the LAKE YELLOWSTONE HOTEL in an ANNEX room and then two nights at the MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS HOTEL in a budget cabin that does not have a private bath.

Is four nights in Yellowston enough? Will my kids be bored? Ages 15,11 and 9. Has anyone ever driven from Houston to Yellowstone?

Is there a yellowstone travel board like the Dis board?

http://www.alandsuejohnson.com/index.htm. This website is a great resource on planning a trip to YNP/GTNP....

Hi there,

I am not sure this thread is still alive but thought I would join in since we are going next summer (June 19th - June 28th) our children will also be 5 and 8! We have our reservations for YNP (Snow Lodge, Mammoth Hot Springs and Canyon. We also have reservatins for the Western Cookout, did not make any other dining reservations, perhaps I should :confused3

Still have not decided on where to stay in GTNP or to stay in Jackson. Where are you staying in GTNP?

Thanks,

Beth

We are going earlier in June. We will make reservations at the Jackson Lodge Cabins for our stay at GTNP.

Did you have to pay for or make a deposit for the Roosevelt Western Cookout? I should probably get that reserved here soon too.

Wendy,

No, we did not need to pay a deposit for the cookout but I was strongly encouraged to get reservations for this...

Beth

I went to Yellowstone about the same time in '06. I ended up with nice weather and only wore my winter coat one night. However, it was definitely cool in the mornings. I was really lucky with the weather during my trip and the crowds weren't bad at all even though I started the trip on Labor Day weekend.

We are staying in Canyon for two nights of our trip. Would this be the best time to do the cookout? Is the cookout a must do?

Canyon is where we are doing it from. I was told it is about 1 hour drive from Canyon to Roosevelt. I have heard that it is really fun, especially for the kiddos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter