Yellowstone in the winter

kid-at-heart

DIS Veteran
Has anyone from this group signed up for one of their winter packages? If so, would you mind sharing your experiences?

Thanks!

I have not done one, but a friend did an Adventures By Disney trip to Yellowstone in winter. She absolutely loved it. Even her kids (who were convinced that they were going to hate it because their own mom was dragging them to freeze to death!) loved it. She said it was one of the best vacations they have ever had.

I will need to check it out and see if ABD still offers the trip. We are hoping to go in 2019/2020. So far I have just been looking at the packages offered by Yellowstone.

We didn't book the package but we will be going there this winter. We just booked Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and added on some tours from Xanterra. We are coming in from the North entrance, only one open in winter. I'm not sure if you want to stay in the park, but there are quite a few tour groups that are on the West entrance side, near or in Jackson Hole, that do tours into Old Faithful and that side of the park. Since that entrance is closed, the only way to get over there is via snowcoach or snowmobile but it's quite pricey to get from Mammoth to Old Faithful, so unfortunately we won't be going over to that side although it is doable. If you're more interested in Old Faithful, I would look into some of the tours coming in from the West entrance.

The West entrance (West Yellowstone) isn't closed in the winter. You can't drive your car into the park but can do snowmobiles or the coaches. If you contact their chamber of commence they can give you some recommendations for tour groups.

The West entrance (West Yellowstone) isn't closed in the winter. You can't drive your car into the park but can do snowmobiles or the coaches. If you contact their chamber of commence they can give you some recommendations for tour groups.

Some do it on snowshoes or cross country skis. I'm not sure if there's anyone at the west entrance to take entrance fees. Aren't the fees for those coming in by snowcoach or snowmobile collected by the organizer or concessioner?

Thanks for the clarification @meloncholywings I misspoke when I said closed and meant closed to driving via personal vehicle. I wanted to avoid the cost of the snowcoaches or tours so went with the other entrance since I would have a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!