Yellowstone experts.....

I have questions!!!!!!!

Also, we have one full day in the Tetons before we drive up to Yellowstone. I wanted to do a float trip but they are sold out. We will be staying at Signal Mountain Lodge. What should we do, and where? Hike, swim? Is the Jackson Hole Aerial Tram on top of Rendezvous Mountain close by? How about the Alpine Slide? I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes one way to something if it is worth it.

Thanks!

I think the Aerial Tram to Rendezvous Mountain is no longer operating. We went up it a couple years ago and I thought they said it would be taken out of commission at the end of the summer. You might want to double check when you get there.

We had a blast on the Alpine Slide! It's in the Snow King resort which is in the town of Jackson Hole. You can see the slide on the side of the hill as you drive into town from GTNP, it's literally right in front of you, albeit a ways away.

There are a ton of rafting companies operating in the Teton area so the chances of someone having an opening are good. However, some companies are probably better than others (safety and guide wise) so it's helpful to have some recommendations to work with. Check at Signal Mountain and see who they recommend. Btw, we found the restaurant at Signal Hill to be excellent a couple years ago. Hopefully that hasn't changed too much in the ensuing years.

Have fun!

Edited to add: Looks like there's a new Aerial Tram running in Teton Village now up to Rendezvous Point. Sorry for my prior info. It's definitely further to Teton Village than into Jackson Hole and the Alpine Slide BUT the view from Rendezvous Point is pretty impressive.

I have questions!!!!!!!

We will be there in a few weeks. We would like to do the photo safari out of Mammoth or Old Faithful, and I see that you can go to the ranger station to reserve a spot, but can I do it now by phone?

Also, we have one full day in the Tetons before we drive up to Yellowstone. I wanted to do a float trip but they are sold out. We will be staying at Signal Mountain Lodge. What should we do, and where? Hike, swim? Is the Jackson Hole Aerial Tram on top of Rendezvous Mountain close by? How about the Alpine Slide? I don't mind driving 30-45 minutes one way to something if it is worth it.

Thanks!

I don't know where you would find the number for the ranger stations or visitors centers but you can surely call. I don't know if you can reserve spots with them by phone. However I have never heard of a photo safari in YNP, what is it?

I assure the rafting is not sold out. If Singal Mountain said it was it is just for them and thier park scenic trips. Try Calling the Grand Teton Loge Company, or Triangle X Ranch for a scenic float in the park. For Whitewater call, Mad River, Barker Ewing, Sands, Lewis and Clark, Jackson Hole White water. They all do some scenic or whitewater but mostly not in the park.

The Tram is running daily through September at least $12.50 for adults. Also the gondola runs everyday except Saturday, it doesn't go to the top but is FREE it only runs in the evening and has a restaurant and drinks at the top. It is open about 4:30 to 7:30 but this is a guess I'm not sure of the true hours.

You can swim at String Lake, hike at Jenny Lake, Ride the Alpine Slide in the town of Jackson.

Everything I mentioned is within 30-45 minutes of Signal Mountain.

If you have any other questions just reply or send me a PM.

There are a ton of rafting companies operating in the Teton area so the chances of someone having an opening are good. However, some companies are probably better than others (safety and guide wise) so it's helpful to have some recommendations to work with. Check at Signal Mountain and see who they recommend. Btw, we found the restaurant at Signal Hill to be excellent a couple years ago. Hopefully that hasn't changed too much in the ensuing years.

I wouldn't worry about the safety of the companies rafting, they all have great records and accidents are rare.

However I would not trust the recommendation that Signal Mountain would give you, thier parent company owns two of the local rafting operators so they have some bias.

I love the Restaurant at Signal and have eaten there many times. I like the Nachos is you want a big meal or something to share. One of the best deals you can find in a national park. :thumbsup2

The drive between Bozeman and West is really beautiful. They filmed a River Runs Through it here. They also filmed in downtown Bozeman.

Driving in the park can sometimes be stressful, some high traffic areas have very small parking lots. And people like to stop in the middle of the road to watch wildlife. Or they will run out in the road. Pack lots of snacks in the car - it'll help.

Other posters have mentioned making reservations/tickets early. The area around the park books up fast. And the nearest available room or camping space can often be a few hours away. Playmobil can also sell out fast during peak season - but it's a fun tradittion and worth trying to see it.

While at Mammoth make time for a nice soak in The Gardiner River at the
45th parallel :cloud9:

Cherie

I planned a trip for three weeks last summer from WA to Yellowstone, SD, WY, and ID. We stayed in yellowstone for a week, camping in our tent trailer, sorry I can't give you any hotel info. But I do have a few off the beaten path ideas for yellowstone that made our trip a blast!

1)Boiling River- it's a natural hot tub from the hotsprings, and the river running together. It is located near the North Enterance of Yellowstone. It is one the most amazing things I have ever experienced!

2) Roosevelt Cookout Experience-I decided to ride the horse with kids, while my husband did the wagon ride (scared of the horses, but his butt did not hurt the next day!). The horseback ride was amazing, my kids will never forget this experience. The food at the cookout is also wonderful, all you can eat steak and fixings. The price for this cookout is a little on the pricey side, but well worth every penny!!!

3)Camping in Yellowstone-you have not camped unless you have experienced bison next to your campsite eating grass!!! We had so many wonderful experinces with wild life in the campgrounds.

4)Geyser, Geyser, Geyser, we have seen them all. The kids really liked the mud pots, even though they really stink!!!! One important tip is to ALWAYS have the kids use the restroom before you venture out to the boardwalk. My kids didn't, and we paid the price!! Our 13 and 8 year old whined and pouted so much during the Old Faithful Boardwalk, it really hurt the experience. So lets just say that after that everyone used the restroom, before a walk!!!

5)Loved the Northside of the park, there was tons of Bear (cubs), Bison, and Elk. Well worth a trip!

If you need anymore information regarding this trip, or about SD, WY or ID just let me know! I loved planning this trip!

I planned a trip for three weeks last summer from WA to Yellowstone, SD, WY, and ID. We stayed in yellowstone for a week, camping in our tent trailer, sorry I can't give you any hotel info. But I do have a few off the beaten path ideas for yellowstone that made our trip a blast!

1)Boiling River- it's a natural hot tub from the hotsprings, and the river running together. It is located near the North Enterance of Yellowstone. It is one the most amazing things I have ever experienced!

2) Roosevelt Cookout Experience-I decided to ride the horse with kids, while my husband did the wagon ride (scared of the horses, but his butt did not hurt the next day!). The horseback ride was amazing, my kids will never forget this experience. The food at the cookout is also wonderful, all you can eat steak and fixings. The price for this cookout is a little on the pricey side, but well worth every penny!!!

3)Camping in Yellowstone-you have not camped unless you have experienced bison next to your campsite eating grass!!! We had so many wonderful experinces with wild life in the campgrounds.

4)Geyser, Geyser, Geyser, we have seen them all. The kids really liked the mud pots, even though they really stink!!!! One important tip is to ALWAYS have the kids use the restroom before you venture out to the boardwalk. My kids didn't, and we paid the price!! Our 13 and 8 year old whined and pouted so much during the Old Faithful Boardwalk, it really hurt the experience. So lets just say that after that everyone used the restroom, before a walk!!!

5)Loved the Northside of the park, there was tons of Bear (cubs), Bison, and Elk. Well worth a trip!

If you need anymore information regarding this trip, or about SD, WY or ID just let me know! I loved planning this trip!

I would love to know more about the Roosevelt Cookout Experience. Please forgive my ignorance but can you tell me where this is? How can I book it? Price? TIA

I would love to know more about the Roosevelt Cookout Experience. Please forgive my ignorance but can you tell me where this is? How can I book it? Price? TIA

We did the Roosevelt chuckwagon cookout last summer as well. You go to the Roosevelt visitor area and ride a wagon or horse out to the campground. You can book it through Xanterra, the same way you would book a hotel or any other dining reservation in the park. 866.439.7375.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/Old-West-Dinner-Cookout-7201.html

The ride out to the campground was pretty, the location of the dinner was amazing (think Little House on the Prairie!) the food was amazing! Make sure you get the recipe for the baked beans. We made it at home and it was just as good as the cowboys made it. The only thing that was not so great was that the entertainment was mellow cowboy music - just not my style, but appropriate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter