Yay! We're spending 4 Nights Tent Camping at the Fort

mom24girlz

Earning My Ears
We'll be making our 3rd trip to the Fort January 16th - 20th. Campers will be DH, myself, DD 16, DD13, DD22, and grandson 2. This is going to be no parks because we're saving to by AP's in a few months. I was thinking of going over to the Poly for lunch one day at Captain Cook's. We've never been to either the resort or the restaurant and I thought it would be a nice way to spend some time. Am I right that we could catch the boat to MK and then a monorail to the Poly? I was also thinking of checking out AKL because DD13 loves all things animals and I think grandbaby would love it also. What would be the best way to make that trip over? Also, is it worth the time to check it out or would visiting AOA be a better stop?

We are also planning to do mini-golf. Would you all suggest leaving the property and visiting one of the many mini golf places around Orlando or spending a little extra and checking out one of Disney's mini-golf locations.
Thank you all so much. You all have helped me in the past to choose a tent, request a loop and really just gave me the courage to spend a few days in a tent in the middle of "the wilderness". My entire family loved it and can't wait to get back.

We'll be making our 3rd trip to the Fort January 16th - 20th. Campers will be DH, myself, DD 16, DD13, DD22, and grandson 2. This is going to be no parks because we're saving to by AP's in a few months. I was thinking of going over to the Poly for lunch one day at Captain Cook's. We've never been to either the resort or the restaurant and I thought it would be a nice way to spend some time. Am I right that we could catch the boat to MK and then a monorail to the Poly? I was also thinking of checking out AKL because DD13 loves all things animals and I think grandbaby would love it also. What would be the best way to make that trip over? Also, is it worth the time to check it out or would visiting AOA be a better stop?

We are also planning to do mini-golf. Would you all suggest leaving the property and visiting one of the many mini golf places around Orlando or spending a little extra and checking out one of Disney's mini-golf locations.
Thank you all so much. You all have helped me in the past to choose a tent, request a loop and really just gave me the courage to spend a few days in a tent in the middle of "the wilderness". My entire family loved it and can't wait to get back.
Yes to get to Poly you can take the boat to MK and then the monorail to poly. Or you can catch a boat to the poly after getting off the boat from the campground. Or you can take the boat to contemporary from the campground and then catch the monorail there.

I've never been to AKL but I have stayed at AoA. I would vote to explore AKL over visiting AoA. There are places at AKL to see the animals and I can't wait to visit or stay there some day. The lodge looks so beautiful.

We've done mini golf by blizzard beach and it's lots of fun. We only did one course there and it took almost 2 hours for us so it's a good use of time. You could do mini golf there one morning then head over to AKL for lunch and exploring. They are close by each other in terms of traveling around wdw.

Have fun!

Hi, mom24girlz. Sounds like a great upcoming trip. Here are some answers to your questions.
The easiest way to PR is, boat to CR and monorail to PR. To AKL, go to any theme park or DS and bus over to AKL. To Winter Summerland mini golf take bus to Blizzard Beach, then short walk to mini golf. To Fantasia Gardens mini golf, go to any theme park or DS and bus to Swan or Dolphin. It is then a bit of a walk. We like the Winter Summerland much better.

We prefer the putt putt courses on property over by Blizzard Beach (Winter Summerland or whatever it's called). It has two courses. It is down past Coronado Springs and Blizzard Beach - it is the VERY next left turn past the BB entrance. It has a small parking lot but we enjoyed it.

The other pair of putt putt courses are across from DHS near the ring road that goes around behind the Swan/Dolpin. It has a Fantasia themed course (not my fave) and a non-silly course called The Fairways (my fave of the four) which is laid out like a regular golf course - no silly windmills or bridges to putt over. Better for grown-ups IMO.

All are $14 to play per person.

We also get a Dole Whip (pineapple ice cream) at the Poly. Go out through the lobby on the ground floor toward the pool/bungalows and there is a little quick serve window on the left.

You can boat to MK to get a monorail to the Poly although the monorail schedule has been subject to maintenance. We like to monorail hop and take the EPCOT loop too. We don't get off there but enjoy when it circles around Future World and then take it back to the TTC. Then we ride to the Contemp and take the small boat back to the Fort.

I have no advice on AKL. We also like to drive over to Port Orleans Riverside, park there, and ride the boat to Disney Springs (starts running at 10am). It's nice too.

Bama Ed

Thank you all for the suggestions. Now we're even more excited. We will definitely do 1 of the courses by Blizzard Beach. Splitting a couple Dole Whips will be a must for our lunch day at the Poly.

How are the arcades at the Fort? Are the games really pricey? I saw that there were 2. Is one better than the other?

I know I'm asking tons of questions and I appreciate your help. We decided to take this trip pretty last minute and with limited funds so I'm trying to make sure the kids enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter