*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

So happy to find this thread! We're headed to Disney next month and plan on booking the free dining bounceback for late May while there, but I need some help from more experienced Disney-goers. It's my birthday plus our 10 -year wedding anniversary the same week, and we're doing our first adult-only trip! :cool1: 🍻

We're torn between 3 resorts:
-Gran Destino Tower at Coronado - love the look/adult feel, love that it's new, but not in love with the location and that the pool isn't right by it. Quick Service included and we would upgrade to Deluxe Dining.
-Wilderness Lodge - Husband would like to try this, pool looks cool, but I don't know if I like the location - is the ferry a pain? It just seems out of the way - Mid-dining plan included, would upgrade to Deluxe
-Yacht Club - love the location & pool (we were supposed to stay here next month but had to change resorts to better accommodate my in-laws) - Mid-dining plan included, would upgrade to Deluxe

Thoughts by those who have stayed? Not concerned on pricing, they're all a few hundred apart.

I love WL and the boat is one of my favorite parts. I say it depends on what you are planning. For us our May trip is about Flower and Garden and an adult only trip would mean more time at EPCOT and HS, so I would vote YC. If you want a super peaceful resort WL is amazing. No opinion on CSR. What is your plan for park days?

Last edited:
I love WL and the boat is one of my favorite parts. I sat it depends on what you are planning. For us our May trip is about Flower and Garden and an adult only trip would mean more time at EPCOT and HS, so I would vote YC. If you want a super peaceful resort WL is amazing. No opinion on CSR. What is your plan for park days?
We're probably doing 6 days and like to hop each afternoon, so we'll be at each park 2 or 3 times. I forgot about Flower & Garden, and HS is my husband's favorite park. The reason we chose Yacht before was to walk to Epcot and HS, so I think I just answered my own question! At least I have a few weeks to decide.

We're probably doing 6 days and like to hop each afternoon, so we'll be at each park 2 or 3 times. I forgot about Flower & Garden, and HS is my husband's favorite park. The reason we chose Yacht before was to walk to Epcot and HS, so I think I just answered my own question! At least I have a few weeks to decide.
You talked yourself into it! We love to hop too so that always factors in when picking a resort.

Do we think we can expect discounts to be released for room rates for May 2020? Sorry I don’t know much about this because I’ve never stayed at a Disney resort before, this will be my first time.

Do we think we can expect discounts to be released for room rates for May 2020? Sorry I don’t know much about this because I’ve never stayed at a Disney resort before, this will be my first time.
I think the past few years the May discounts were not released until after jan 1st so i guess well have to wait a bit unless they change it up this time. Im just hoping for any discount and for it to be a little better then just 15% off 🤞i wish i knew though bc were right in the fence financial for deluxe or a moderate depending on offer.

I think the past few years the May discounts were not released until after jan 1st so i guess well have to wait a bit unless they change it up this time. Im just hoping for any discount and for it to be a little better then just 15% off 🤞i wish i knew though bc were right in the fence financial for deluxe or a moderate depending on offer.

I did not go through a travel agent, I booked the trip myself. Because this is my first time staying at a Disney resort I just want to make sure I’m doing this all correct. If a discount is released, do I have to re-book the room with the discount or am I able to apply the discount to my current reservation? I booked a value resort through Disney’s official site, I didn’t do any vacation packages. Thank you so much for the information!

I did not go through a travel agent, I booked the trip myself. Because this is my first time staying at a Disney resort I just want to make sure I’m doing this all correct. If a discount is released, do I have to re-book the room with the discount or am I able to apply the discount to my current reservation? I booked a value resort through Disney’s official site, I didn’t do any vacation packages. Thank you so much for the information!
Well i know with a package you can just alter it online when the deal came out but with room only im not sure. You may have to book new discount and then cancel the other one if you want to do it online. I know you can definitely call and have them switch to the discount when its released but usually the lines are soooo tied up on the day the discount is released

Hey all! I've been preoccupied for a bit, if I missed adding anyone to the list, just let me know!

:)

Hi everyone! :wave:

Whew, we have had a rough month. This trip was on a rocky road for a bit, our poor kitty keeps having (not super serious) issues. Here's hoping things start change for the better, trying to be positive!

So, some not so fun news for May. Looks like the April 2020 supposed opening for Ratatouille is now summer 2020 and the Railway Ride now is just slated for "next year". To say I am bummed about this is an understatement. And Future World, while it will be amazing when finished, will be a construction zone.

Also rumored to be closed for refurbishment:
Spaceship Earth (almost definite)
Thunder Mountain (rumor stage)
Jungle Cruise (rumor stage)
Primeval Whirl (closed indefinitely at this point)

But, not going to cancel, so will just look forward to what will be new for us!
Galaxy's Edge
Toy Story Land
Frozen (we never rode it last time)
Flower/Garden
Gran Destino (Hotel we are staying at)
New restaurant at Epcot - Space 220
And I didn't get to go on Flights of Passage, so that's new for me!

So I think we will still have amazing trips and hey, maybe the construction will keep crowds away!
:)

My late April Disney trip got pushed to the first week of May. Don't know where we'll be staying yet, we had booked Pop for April but now we're discussing either Swan off Priceline or CBR. Either way, we'll be there 04/30 through 05/07.

Do we need to be prepared for love bugs that week?

Hi everyone. I’m probably cancelling my perfectly planned September trip because of the hurricane. I’ve only gone in Sept the last 6 years but after dealing with two major hurricanes in 3 trips I’m over it. I’m thinking about rebooking for May. I’ve never been at that time. Does anyone have experience with both months and know how they compare? Weather crowds etc? Thanks!

Hi everyone. I’m probably cancelling my perfectly planned September trip because of the hurricane. I’ve only gone in Sept the last 6 years but after dealing with two major hurricanes in 3 trips I’m over it. I’m thinking about rebooking for May. I’ve never been at that time. Does anyone have experience with both months and know how they compare? Weather crowds etc? Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that! We used to do October trips but similarly we experienced 2 storms and decided we will stay away from hurricane season. So we haven't done September but we did very early October on several occasions. In comparison with May, the weather was very similar. I felt that May was a bit more humid, with the exception being the day immediately before and after the October storms. You're trading Food and Wine for Flower and Garden, so crowds will be fairly similar there. I've felt that May lines were really tolerable.

Thanks for the info! I like September for low attendance but I've been unlucky twice now. I thought May might not be as hot but still not too crowded. I'm mostly worried about lines and fast pass availability. I know some can be difficult to get in Sept. It's good to know lines are tolerable!

Greetings May people!

We got what seemed like a pretty good deal on a package, so my wife and I booked our trip a couple weeks ago for 5/2 - 5/12 at the Swan.

During our last visit in 2016, we were able to do everything we wanted to do in all 4 parks (including TZ:ToT 15x) by planning extensively and going rope drop to close for 5 straight days. However, by the end, our feet were killing us, and we were exhausted, so this time, with several major additions since 2016, we decided to stretch it out to 10 days to allow for a few rest days ("rest" being used loosely to mean sleeping in, spending most of the day at the resort, and then an evening arrival at the parks to get in a FP+ attraction or two, and catch the night shows), and more flexibility with hard-to-get FastPasses.

So now I'm well into insane levels of planning (so... many... spreadsheets). However, with a lot of the park specifics still up in the air right now, the number of unknowns has made planning a lot less straightforward - if/when SW:GE will offer FastPass+, whether Runaway Railway be open by early May and whether it will offer FP+, and how either of those might affect DHS FP+ tiers. Hopefully most of that will be resolved before our 60 day window in March, but it's killing the planner in me not to have the big details ironed out well in advance. The one thing that has me legitimately worried is Space 220. The announced opening date of "this winter" probably means ADRs will not likely be available when our window opens in November, so we lose the advantage of the later days in our 180+10, and might have to keep a vigilant watch for when they open up in order to have a chance at an ADR.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I look forward to the information, entertainment, and community shared by/with fellow May travelers.

We are booked mid-May at WBC, planning some Disney and non-Disney things this time. So far during our nine day trip, we are planning one after hours event at MK, some resort hopping/Disney Springs time to explore and check out the food, Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, and a water park.

We are booked May 9 - 16 at VGF. Can't wait!! We are going to do the first surprise the kids trip so trying our best not to spoil the surprise. Starting to get the dining plans figured out, but so much up in the air with parks (refurbs for 2021 and new ride openings in HS and Epcot).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!