Yacht Club to MK in a Wheelchair

NCConch

DIS Veteran
We'll be spending a week at Yacht Club next week. Monday we have passes for MK. Our son is a fulltime power chair user. What is the easiest way to get over to the park? I understand we can drive our van over or take a bus. Does the bus take us right to the gate?

Last edited:
We'll be spending a week at Yacht Club next week. Monday we have passes for MK. Our son is a fulltime power chair user. What is the easiest way to get over to the park? I understand we can drive our van over or take a bus. Does the bus us right to the gate?
For MK the buses get you closest to the gate.

MK is distinctive in that there are no parking lots at the front. If you drive, you will park at the Ticket and Transportation Center, then take a large ferry across the lagoon.

I use a scooter myself and find the buses and drivers extremely accommodating.

The buses are much easier for getting to MK than driving would be - as stated above, you have to park at TTC and then either take a ferry or the monorail to the park gate itself, whereas the buses drop you off very close to the gate. The main downside to buses right now is that, for people who want to be the very very first ones into the park and sprint back to one of the coasters, you can't do that by bus. The other consideration is being on a bus with other families, but honestly if you're ok being in the park and on rides with other families I think it's not different enough to skip the bus given how they are currently handling/loading them. (That's just my opinion and obviously everyone needs to do what they are most comfortable with and what they feel is best for their families.) If it were me, I would recommend the bus for ease of use and closeness.

Every (internal) bus at WDW is fitted with tie downs and ramps; you will find it quite easy to get around! Main thing to remember is that your will typically board first, and disembark last; the driver will take have your son drive up the ramp first (you can go with him if needed) and the rest of your group will be invited on board by the driver after he is parked and tied down securely. There are white-painted rectangles on the ground at most of the Resort bus stops for him to park in while he waits for the bus, and there is an HA "gate" within all of the bus queues at the Parks and Disney Springs that you will come to before you get to the end of the queue. If there is a Transportation CM, they may direct you to bypass the queue and go straight to the waiting/loading area of the queue.

Almost all of the boats (except for the smaller launches at Poly, GF & FW) have portable ramps that are identical to the ramps used with the Monorail. And the Skyliner is a level-load; no ramp needed, and a CM will chock the wheels once he is in the cabin and parked.

Let us know if you need any more info about the buses at WDW; it really is wonderful to just let Disney do the driving!

Thanks for the great advise. Decisions, decisions... It may come down to wanting the Disney full experience and riding on the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter