Xmas decorations? Mid Dec or early Jan??

SnoWhiteRabbit

DIS Veteran
I was planning on a trip next Dec - from about the 1st - 15th, especially to enjoy the holiday decorations, along with everything else, but now I'm having second thoughts -- would early January be better -- say the 3rd - 17th??

How long are the decorations up? Do they leave all of them up for awhile or take some down bit by bit? I want to see WDW fully decorated.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Well I will put it this way, I was up there yesterday (Jan 17th) and all the decorations were poof gone. Definetely go earlier if you are counting on the decorations. If you are counting on actually going on ride, go the later route as you were thinking. Just depends on what you want more.

They come down a lot faster than they go up and are usually gone by the second week of the year.
I want to see WDW fully decorated.
Then go between the day after Thanksgiving through the first weekend of the year.

We have gone the first or second week of December the past 6 years. It's a great time to go, all the decorations are up and you can catch the Christmas activities - Candlelight Processional, MVMCP, Osborne Lights (if they are back this year). I don't know about you, but by early January I am so sick of looking at Christmas decorations, can't wait to see them go!

http://allearsnet.com/tp/holiday.htm

Dear SnoWhiteRabbit,

We just came back from Disney on 10 January. The decorations started to come down on 7 January at Epcot first - the big tree and lights near World Showcase. When we left on 10 January, there were still decorations at Magic Kingdom but I would imagine they weren't going to be there for long.

The crowds were really thinning out as we were leaving. The only busy part of the park was in Fantasyland. We were at Disney 6-12 December 02 and the crowds weren't much different than in January 04. You don't want to be in Magic Kingdom on the day they are taping the Christmas parade - it was a madhouse.

Have a good trip!!!

Epcot decorations were down before the marathon weekend, maybe 1/7 or 8. They took WL decorations down on Sunday night after the marathon (1/11). They were all gone on Monday AM when we got up. They moved tractor trailers to near the valet parking area on Sunday night to take the WL decorations.

I noticed the MK decorations were down on 1/9, maybe 1/10, but they were no where to be seen on 1/11 when we arrived to watch the marathon runners enter the park.

All the parks had the decorations down before the marathon on 1/11.

I've gone both those times, and yes, like others I definitely vote for December. Usually I go the very first week in January (before the Marathon), but I was lucky enough to go this past December. So many things I never saw in January! Epcot Santas, GF Gingerbread House you can stand in, CP (worth a trip in itself), Epcot Tree Lighting, AK Camping Carolers, characters in Christmas garb. And there are still things I missed that are in December only-Yuletide Fantasy Tour, MVMCP, sleigh rides at WL, and who knows what else. And let's hope for Osborne Lights next year-those often come down right after the first. Also, honestly, by early January I'm kind of sick of the Christmas music they play. But in December, it's so festive-sounding!

If you can, definatly go in early to mid-December. At this time most kids are sill in school so the lines are relativly short, plus all the Christmas festivities like the tree lightings, holiday musicians, and decorations are going. I definatly vote early December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter