WWYD San Fran ABD dates are not so great for me. Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Adventures By Disney' started by scottmel, Sep 14, 2018.

1. scottmel

scottmel <font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina

We are planning on going to HAwaii again this summer 2019. In 2018 we used Disneyland as a stop point before continuing on to Ohau.

I was hoping San Fran ABd would line up as a logical stop point for us on our way to Ohau. Sadly the dates are lousy for us. I need EARLY July.

I have a stupid 600 credit to use with ABD else honestly I would be done with ABD at this point.

Would you instead go to Vancouver instead of San Fran - dates DO line up or just do your own short San Fran trip?

We are flying in from east coast. Have never visited SF. Party of 3 --DD19. NONE of us are wine drinkers...

CaliforniaGirl09 likes this.
  2. RSM

RSM Mouseketeer

Vancouver is an awesome city. We've used it as a stop over (staying for 1-2 days) a couple of times as we've headed for longer trips. If you like outdoor activities it is alot of fun.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel

I second RSM. I really love Vancouver, and it's a great stopover. I think that could be a great way to use up your credit.

Sayhello

tink1970 likes this.
  5. acndis

acndis Mouseketeer

ScottMel,

I think Vancouver is a great idea before Hawaii. We spent a couple of days there after our repositioning cruise and can't wait to get back. It's got tons of outdoorsy activities and is beautiful and friendly. Go for it!

6. scottmel

Thanks guys! If I did not have the credit would you still recommend? Torn between using the credit and being DONE or using free airfare to get to SF and doing SF on our own. My free airfare will not take me to Vancouver....am I outdoorsy>? honestly no...but the bear thing looked cool and city looks so pretty! SF or Vancouver putting the free credit aside?

7. sayhello

I love both cities. I would still recommend Vancouver even if you didn't have a credit.

That said, San Francisco is an amazing city, also. Whichever you choose, you'll do well.

Sayhello

acndis likes this.
  8. scottmel

thanks. I am just going to ask this b/c stuff like this bothers me. Homeless population. I know SF and Van. both suffer from it. On our ABD NYC trip there were a few aggressive incldents, one pretty bad, the other so so. I really want to avoid that and was thinking the ABD would help avoid that staying in areas of the city that are safer etc. I have never been to either city so I feel uneasy...

9. sayhello

It's been a few years since I've been to either city. I didn't experience anything like that, but things can always change in a city, so hopefully someone who has been there more recently can comment.

Sayhello

10. Miss SD

Miss SD Mouseketeer

Being a safe neighborhood doesn’t necessarily enter into the equation, at least in SF. My mother-in-law has lived by AT&T Park (traditionally a safe area) for many years, and we noticed homeless with tents camped on King Street for the first time last weekend. I don’t know about Vancouver, but if homeless bother you that much (I get it because I was attacked by a homeless guy in broad daylight in Downtown San Diego years ago), don’t pick SF. Getting really bad here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    carpenta likes this.
  11. CaliforniaGirl09

CaliforniaGirl09 DIS Veteran

I was born in San Francisco and live a few miles away. It is one of my favorite cities in the world, and imo one of the most beautiful. It kills me to say this, but the grime, homelessness and drug problems in the city have become so bad I hesitate to be a cheerleader for it. I think it is easy to do on your own, and you would likely have a blast, but you can’t avoid the homelessness, etc.

12. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

I'll be the dissenter here... I hate SF and like Vancouver. The homeless/clearly mentally ill population in San Francisco is very obvious and significant. DH's family is from the Bay area and I still will only visit every 5-10 years because I dislike the city so much. I can't imagine going for fun (that said, not into wine or trendy food or any of the other reasons people rave about it)...it's straight up obligation under duress for me.

sayhello likes this.
  13. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

I have been to both cities (native Californian) and I would visit SF over Vancouver any day. There is actually a very large homeless population in Vancouver and numbers are increasing rapidly. Stay out of the Downtown Eastside area of Vancouver. I would not let the threat of encountering a homeless person keep me from visiting a city.

14. *WDW*Groupie*

*WDW*Groupie* DIS Veteran

Another vote for Vancouver. It's a great city with so much to see and do. People are warm and friendly and it's very walkable.

We go to Vancouver every year and have never experienced a problem with homeless people. Like a pp said definitely stay away from the downtown east side -- I don't know why anyone tourist would go there except by accident.

We stay at the Pan Pacific Canada Place and LOVE it.

tink1970 and sayhello like this.
  15. carpenta

carpenta DIS Veteran

I agree with Tink1970.....
    The social problems are out of control.....we went last summer and NEVER return again.

tink1970 likes this.
  16. upbeatred

upbeatred Earning My Ears

I too had some really bad problems with homeless people in San Fran. I three incidents over a weekend. One where a man literally ran me out of a restaurant in China town. I have no desire to return, and the ironic thing is I work with homeless people.

tink1970 likes this.