WWYD? offered free upgrade

I miss this thread!

I know what you mean...we all had so much to look forward to, now there's nothing going on!

It's especially had for me because I have promised DH we would be taking a break from WDW for a year or two and I don't know if I can keep my word. I know I will be tempted by one offer or another if I keep browsing the different forums on the DIS. :sad2:

Maybe we can start our own little DIS clique -- the Upgraders!

Hi everyone!! I was just going through some of my vacation pics and wanted to share this little tidbit that I found at Artist Palette one day.
September606.jpg

Never mind that I wrote the wrong month AND day on there -- all time stops when I'm in WDW. I was so thrilled when I saw that!! Actually Lyzzie saw it and wanted to know if it was anyone I knew, and I said YES! LauraAnn, you brought a big smile to my face that day. Thanks!

ETA - I just noticed that Photobucket put the wrong picture up there!! I fixed it and now it makes a lot more sense.

I am wondering any of you that got the "free" upgrade to the DVC, if you could would you buy in no or are you happy with staying in a regular value or mod when you go?

if my parents didn't already have a timeshare that we stay in when at Disney, we would have bought in. I LOVED DVC and had a great vacation. It was our 1st time in a long time to stay onsite (b/c we usually stay for free in parents' timeshare). We went just for a quick trip for free dining.
We booked 3 extra days at POP after we got the upgrade. There was no comparison between POP and SSR. Both were fun, in different ways. POP was fun, crazy, loud, SSR was more upscale, relaxing and more of a "vacation" for me (Mom).

If you can stay midweek, you can really stretch your DVC points. Loved the pools and esp. the Community Hall. Also, the cost of DVC is pretty reasonable compared to other timeshares and they seem to hold their "resale" value pretty well, too.
But, no DVC for us---we have 3 to put through college--so moderate for us at Christmas!

I actually own DVC so I'll be at the OKW in December (1 bedroom). I was just wondering if trying out the DVC made any of you think about actually buying in.

Once time (back in 1996 or so) we got a "free" upgrade to concierge at the Poly, and I have to say it really spoiled us. Now when we stay at the Poly we have to do concierge. Although we haven't been there since 2000; My son did ask for one or two nights as his HS Graduation Present this year, so I hope to get back there in June.

Would we buy DVC after staying at OKW on the free upgrade? Yes, if we didn't alreadyown 3 other timeshare weeks at 2 other resorts. We just tried for a value to experience the Disney magic and go for the free dining.
We normally exchange our timeshare for a similar one when we stay in the area.
The prices are comparable, but we don't have a time limit on our ownership. And instead of shelling out about $1000 a year for maintenance (dues) for a week's worth of points, we pay less than $500 each per year.
We really liked OKW, but not enough to pay so much more per year.
After a timeshare villa, a value really does seem cramped. But I was willing to put up with it if it meant I didn't have to cook! That's one of the drawbacks of a full kitchen. Everybody expects you to use it.
Even if you are on vacation, too.:sad2:

:woohoo: We did!!!
Although I found a SSR :cheer2: resale in June and started the paper work right away. We didn't officially become members until after we returned home. But DD13 and I LOVED it and I even did an add on at AKV while we were there.:banana:

IF I COULD, yes I would buy DVC in a heartbeat. But there's a reason I'm a value girl... I don't have that kind of disposable income. I hear about how much money DVC saves you in the long run, but not the way I vacation. I'm a single mom with two young kids and I work as a receptionist -- maybe someday DVC will be for me, but right now it's just not in the cards. This upgrade was a dream come true, it gave me a little taste of how "the other half" lives and I'm hooked! However, I still look forward to staying at a value again next time and don't love them any less. The upgrade gave me a new way to vacation at Disney and given the chance, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I actually tried VERY hard to convince my parents to buy in, but my evil plan was foiled. They wouldn't even take the tour -- not even when they were bribed with ice cream and fastpasses!! I think they knew that they'd be too tempted to buy if they took the tour, because they really loved it too.

look at the DVC points chart. I you stay midweek (Sun-Thur), you can "rent" points from other disers and stay in a studio at DVC for the same (or less) than a Value.
This year, we stayed POP thurs-sat, then moved Sun-thurs to SSR with our upgrade. When I got back, I looked at the DVC points chart and realized that I could do the same thing anytime (except major holidays) and pay about the same as staying in Value the whole time. I will definitely try this in the future.
It's way to experience DVC without all the upfront costs.

ps--I would just make sure it's a diser with a lot of posts, so they are legit.

I've got one in college and another headed there and two more after that to go so we can't even think about it.

Of all the timeshares, DVC is the only one that ever interested me, but what I can't deal with is the annual dues. I'm not saying this kind of upgrade would ever happen again, but when we paid less than a member pays for dues (plus got mousekeeping, free DDP), it makes owning not look so great. We don't normally plan vacations, we wait until a good deal comes up and then see if we can do it - free DDP got us on this, and the rest was pure bonus.

The resale we got was only a 50 point contract at SSR and we added on 25 point AKV so we have 75 points. We also have a child starting college this year and since we don't do debt there was no way we could buy in at 160 points. This will work nicely for us for right now :cool1: Most of my trips are either DD and I or Mom and I. When my mother goes she usually pays for the room so if she really insists I will just charge her for a POP price room but stay in a Studio or 1 bed room Suite.

The resale we got was only a 50 point contract at SSR and we added on 25 point AKV so we have 75 points. We also have a child starting college this year and since we don't do debt there was no way we could buy in at 160 points. This will work nicely for us for right now :cool1: Most of my trips are either DD and I or Mom and I. When my mother goes she usually pays for the room so if she really insists I will just charge her for a POP price room but stay in a Studio or 1 bed room Suite.

It sounds great - congratulations!

Would it be rude of me to ask how much that was and then how much you have to pay per year now for dues? That's a good plan with your mom - everyone is happy then :thumbsup2

click on one of the DVC BB at disboards, then look up and see DVC RESALES at the top and clikc it on--they will list how much they are. The going rates are pretty standard--ranging from $60ish to $80ish, I believe.
I also belong to another BB called tug2.net, which is "Timeshares Users Group" and a number of people there have bought resale DVC and Hilton (HGVC) points from a resale broker named Seth Noth (?). He has a good reputation. I am sure he also has a website somewhere and has the going rate for points posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter