WWYD: Ft. Wilderness campsite booked for Sept but might need to change last minute

NashvilleMama

DIS Veteran
Soooo in a bit of a pickle and need some objective advice from strangers. :)

We have a long weekend trip booked Sept 26-29th...I FINALLY was able to convince my DH to do tent camping at Ft. Wilderness and booked a campsite when it was on a special months ago, so even cheaper than normal.

Now it's looking like he may not be able to join us on the trip because of a potential work conflict, and I am NOT doing the camping thing with 2 kids without him there to help. It sounds horrific in every way to me. (this is not something that will change. I'm just not doing this alone.)

Here's the kicker: He probably won't know for sure about if he can come or not until within our 60-day window. I just looked to see if I could switch to another onsite resort to be safe and there's nothing available that's even remotely within our budget that same weekend, so my options are to book offsite as a backup plan since they all have good cancellation policies.....or pick another long weekend which really bums me out since that likely means pushing to 2020 at this point given our schedules.

p.s. I'm also kind of freaking out about the Galaxy Edge crowd factor as my girls love DHS the most.

I live for these annual long weekend trips each year. What would you do? Wait and see or go ahead and move the weekend?

WOW! I would not want your predicament given the current FP policy for resort cancelations.

I know you probably have done this, but I would cost out the least expensive value for the three of you and compare the total cost of a three person trip vs the cost of the campsite trip for the four of you. You may find the cost is close once you subtract the cost of food and tickets for you husband. When I cost our trips I always try to look at apples to apples.

Probably not what you're looking for, but just in case... what about renting a pop up camper for your site -- I believe pop ups are permitted on the tent sites. You would still need to use the bath house since it wouldn't have sewer hookups but you would have more comforts/ease than the tent. No idea what the cost would be though... but they would deliver and set it up for you. Just a thought -- obviously that may still be too close to the tent work for you.

I would probably just move the date, or stay off site at a Springs hotel. I know you are looking forward to it but if accommodations are going to be a big stress issue and you risk losing FPs I would just reschedule... the trip is supposed to be fun. :)

I'd keep my current res and check hotels in the surrounding area, starting at Disney Springs as many of those locations can take advantage of many of the same benefits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter