WWYD - Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel-Club Level?

LittleMissMagic

Victoria on Vacation
Hi DL Board! I'm looking for some opinions on an upcoming trip. There will be 4 adults in one room for a short 2-night stay. I priced it out, and it's actually ~$30 (nominal) less expensive for a Club Level (standard view) room at Paradise Pier than a "Premium Pool View" room at Disneyland Hotel. I have stayed at Disneyland Hotel before, so I know that I like it - I've also chosen it over Club Level at Paradise Pier Hotel before.... but I'm wondering if anyone has had an exceptionally good experience at Paradise Pier Club Level and if I should reconsider. Paradise Pier is the only DLR hotel that I have not stayed at, and I guess it's just because it doesn't appeal strongly to me in theming or location.

Appreciate your feedback!

If PPH doesn't appeal to you in theming or location, I think you've already answered your own question!

Another to ask yourself is whether you'll use the club level benefits. If you'll get a lot out of visiting the lounge and eating there, then that may be the way to go for your group. Personally, I'm more inclined to eat & snack in the parks, so I don't get much benefit from club level lounge offerings when I stay at the hotels. I'd go for the upgraded view over club level most of the time, but it just depends on your group.

You also get concierge service at club level that can help get reservations even if none are available and/or help book priority seating for parades and stuff (*I haven't done this for awhile, so I'm not sure what exactly is offered these days).

As far as DLH vs PPH, I'd go for DLH. It's my favorite of the resorts. You've stayed there so you know what you're getting. I like the PPH too and stay there as often as any of the other on property hotels, but a lot of people don't care for it. Some of the commonly mentioned negatives of PPH are: the theming isn't as strong and the location is a little farther away. Some of the positives are: the rooms are a little bigger than the other resorts, and the rooms that face DCA are probably the best park views in the resort.

We never use any of the benefits of club level so we would choose the DLH because we love the theming, the location and Trader Sam's!

I *think* and don't hold me to this, but I have read the PPH lounge does not stay open as late as the DLH and GCH lounges do. Not sure if that would factor into your decision or not. If it is a quick trip and you will be spending most of your time in the parks, I would go for the DLH if you aren't going to take advantage of the lounge. Plus, if you can squeeze in some pool time, the DLH pool is so fun! Have a great trip!

Last edited:

I would offer are third option...PPH Theme Park View. Best view of all three properties IMO.

DLH Pool view is nothing special worth paying for IMO.

If you are only there two nights you are not likely gonna get much milage out of the Club Lounge and you can buy a lot of breakfasts at Starbucks in the AM for the upcharge price to Club level.

I'd offset a fourth option: standard view at the Disneyland Hotel. I've never really appreciated the benefit of the premium view rooms at DLH. Without a balcony it doesn't really seem worth it to me. That said, I've never stayed in a premium theme park room, so I don't know what I'm missing.

I'd offset a fourth option: standard view at the Disneyland Hotel. I've never really appreciated the benefit of the premium view rooms at DLH. Without a balcony it doesn't really seem worth it to me. That said, I've never stayed in a premium theme park room, so I don't know what I'm missing.
I like this idea too. With 4 adults in a room, unless you are related or just really close, would you be more comfortable/ able to swing 2 rooms with a view downgrade as @jfk4 suggested? This would give 2 bathrooms as well, which for me would be almost a requirement with 4 adults (unless the adults were my own adult children, but even then I think I would need 2 bathrooms!).

And if you are spending most of your time in the parks, CL won’t be terribly valuable. And since PPH is the furthest from the parks (I think?), it will take time to “pop back over” to enjoy CL during the day to get the value out of it. I think the value of CL depends on your touring style. If you are commando open to close, CL is not a good use of your budget IMO. When my parents travel with us and our kids, we sometimes do CL so that they can rest there and snack while we head to the parks or they can take a break there. But that is at GCH, which is so much closer to just run back to for a break at the CL lounge. And even at GCH, the “value“ is marginal to me, as I would rather be IN the parks!!

Thanks, everyone! I booked the DLH Pool View (when I went back to book, PPH CL was already booked up, so it confirmed my decision!). Just for clarification, I wasn't choosing the pool view - a standard view would be fine for me, it's just that pool view was all that was available. I think the least expensive rooms had already booked up at the resorts, so they were only selling upgraded views and club level.

I would always choose standard room at DLH over a premium room at PPH with CL. We only go with PPH if there significant price difference

PPH club level closes at 8pm. They only allow 2 drinks in the evening depending on the CM working during the very abbreviated cocktail hours. I like your choice. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter