WWYD - Aeroplan flights from Winnipeg

mernin

DIS Veteran
So we weren't ready to book flights right when they were released for our March spring break cruise. I am 50K with Air Canada so am able to book priority reward flights so there are options available at double to points (200,000 vs 100,000 for the 4 of us). I have the points. But there is also the option to book 2 one-way tickets saving about 52,000 miles and about $72 in taxes. The catch is that there is a 6 hour layover in Montreal vs the 1-2 hours on the other flights for 200,000 miles.

So what would you do? I travel often for work so being in an airport for an extended period of time isn't the end of the world for me. My family, I'm sure they will complain! We will have Air Canada lounge access. Is is worth the savings in points & dollars for the 6 hours?

And for those of you who know the Montreal airport area, is leaving for a few hours an option?

Thanks!

How long would it take to earn 100,000 points? If you would earn them back fairly quickly I would book the best connection possible, family vacation time is precious to me and I would prefer to spend the time somewhere else.

It would take me forever to earn 100,000 points so I would be more tempted to book the less expensive flights.

I also would look at what it would cost to pay for 1 way flights there and then just use points for the 1 way return. I have been finding this is a great way to maximum my points.

I have earned around 75,000 miles so far this year so the time isn’t that long. The same flight to purchase if $257/person so just over $1000. Otherwise we are looking at around $500/person one way from Winnipeg. I think the “best deal” is above but I am hesitating to book that layover. The flight we’d book on full miles would leave later in the day and get us into MCO after 11pm.

I book all of our flights to MCO (family included) with Aeroplan. And for the past couple of years I have been consistently booking two one way flights. Can you book the non stop flight at the 50K point level and pay cash for the other non stop that is double the points? Might be a better use of your points. Personally, I refuse to make a connection.

I book all of our flights to MCO (family included) with Aeroplan. And for the past couple of years I have been consistently booking two one way flights. Can you book the non stop flight at the 50K point level and pay cash for the other non stop that is double the points? Might be a better use of your points. Personally, I refuse to make a connection.
All of the flight options have stops unfortunately. Most of the flights I’ve seen from Winnipeg all have an connection. I’m not sure if there is a direct option.

All of the flight options have stops unfortunately. Most of the flights I’ve seen from Winnipeg all have an connection. I’m not sure if there is a direct option.

Sorry, I read your original post wrong. Didn't realize there was no way around a stop. I would still consider paying cash for the shorter flight. Although if the points for that flight are higher, the dollar cost will probably be higher also.

So we weren't ready to book flights right when they were released for our March spring break cruise. I am 50K with Air Canada so am able to book priority reward flights so there are options available at double to points (200,000 vs 100,000 for the 4 of us). I have the points. But there is also the option to book 2 one-way tickets saving about 52,000 miles and about $72 in taxes. The catch is that there is a 6 hour layover in Montreal vs the 1-2 hours on the other flights for 200,000 miles.

So what would you do? I travel often for work so being in an airport for an extended period of time isn't the end of the world for me. My family, I'm sure they will complain! We will have Air Canada lounge access. Is is worth the savings in points & dollars for the 6 hours?

And for those of you who know the Montreal airport area, is leaving for a few hours an option?

Thanks!

When would you be at YUL? Day of the week and time of the day will make a huge difference. I live 5 minutes east of the airport and I can drive downtown in 15 minutes on weekends with no construction but it can also take me over an hour to do the same drive during rush hour on a week day or when they close the highway. Close to the airport, there's everything. A movie theatre (Guzzo), a nice mall (Fairview Pointe-Claire) and many restaurants. YUL is as close to a downtown as you can be imo and soon there will be a light train (REM) connecting the airport to downtown but for now you need to take a bus (747) or a taxi and that's why the moment of the week is important.

I've been to the Air Canada lounge at YUL when flying business class to Vancouver and it's really nice but I don't know how it works when flying to the USA since you need to go thru customs at the airport?

Last edited:

When would you be at YUL? Day of the week and time of the day will make a huge difference. I live 5 minutes east of the airport and I can drive downtown in 15 minutes on weekends with no construction but it can also take me over an hour to do the same drive during rush hour on a week day or when they close the highway. Close to the airport, there's everything. A movie theatre (Guzzo), a nice mall (Fairview Pointe-Claire) and many restaurants. YUL is as close to a downtown as you can be imo and soon there will be a light train (REM) connecting the airport to downtown but for now you need to take a bus (745) or a taxi and that's why the moment of the week is important.

I've been to the Air Canada lounge at YUL when flying business class to Vancouver and it's really nice but I don't know how it works when flying to the USA since you need to go thru customs at the airport?
We'll be there on a Wednesday mid day (I think it was 10-4 ish). Thanks for the tips.

Sorry, I read your original post wrong. Didn't realize there was no way around a stop. I would still consider paying cash for the shorter flight. Although if the points for that flight are higher, the dollar cost will probably be higher also.
Yep, the shorter flights are expensive. This is what I get for leaving spring break time flights until now!

There is a direct flight, but you would have to fly Westjet to get it!

We have flown direct from Winnipeg to Orlando, and connected through Toronto. Direct is so much easier and faster!!

There is a direct flight, but you would have to fly Westjet to get it!

We have flown direct from Winnipeg to Orlando, and connected through Toronto. Direct is so much easier and faster!!
not on our flight days this trip unfortunately! Both ways have connections with WJ and AC. Could find flair & sunwing direct but would rather not.

Have you checked flair air? They’ve recently started flying YWG-MCO. I would look into breaking up the two flights to minimize travel time and maximize use of miles

Have you checked flair air? They’ve recently started flying YWG-MCO. I would look into breaking up the two flights to minimize travel time and maximize use of miles
I did. They do have directs but Thur & Sun. The return flight alone would be $2k+ for my family of 4.

Remember that Montreal can get Winnipeg type of weather in March. You could have great weather, or be snowed in. Is that a $72 savings per person or total? Also, have you compared buying, say two tickets and using Aeroplan for the other two? Sometimes the Aeroplan costs are different for fewer passengers.

Remember that Montreal can get Winnipeg type of weather in March. You could have great weather, or be snowed in. Is that a $72 savings per person or total? Also, have you compared buying, say two tickets and using Aeroplan for the other two? Sometimes the Aeroplan costs are different for fewer passengers.

I don’t know for Winnipeg but flights are rarely cancelled for snow at YUL since we have heated runways.

the savings is total $ but also 53,000 miles. I have not looked at 2 people -Will do that now to see what comes up. Good idea.

I don’t know for Winnipeg but flights are rarely cancelled for snow at YUL since we have heated runways.
thanks! Heated runways...fancy!

And my hubby stalled long enough that it went up to 68,000 miles now. So the savings are less and it looks less appealing. Might just go back to plan A. Thanks for all the opinions!

Darn. I was going to say sell your family (especially kids) on getting to go to the top secret 'club' that is the AC Lounge at YUL. Unless that is old hat to them (or should I say 'vieux chapeau' :jester:)

Darn. I was going to say sell your family (especially kids) on getting to go to the top secret 'club' that is the AC Lounge at YUL. Unless that is old hat to them (or should I say 'vieux chapeau' :jester:)
haha! I had them sold on the flight finally too! They haven't been in the AC lounge so that will be something special at which ever lounge we get to (not so much for me!!)

When would you be at YUL? Day of the week and time of the day will make a huge difference. I live 5 minutes east of the airport and I can drive downtown in 15 minutes on weekends with no construction but it can also take me over an hour to do the same drive during rush hour on a week day or when they close the highway. Close to the airport, there's everything. A movie theatre (Guzzo), a nice mall (Fairview Pointe-Claire) and many restaurants. YUL is as close to a downtown as you can be imo and soon there will be a light train (REM) connecting the airport to downtown but for now you need to take a bus (745) or a taxi and that's why the moment of the week is important.

Isn't it the 747 bus?

There is an ML lounge at the transborder gates at YUL, so the OP will have access to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter