WWYD? 2BR choices during reduced hours...

polynor

Mouseketeer
I have been doing logic loops on what to do that I think I need some outside opinions...and this is long.

Situation -- family of 5, 3DS (14, 10, 6). We have move our ressies around and are currently in 1BR BLT (July 26-Aug4).
With the announcements on the hours, it has us rethinking pro/cons on resort choices -- but NOT on canceling!
We made the decision to switch to a 2BR. It's now which one -- day to day -- the availability seems to change -- just a couple days ago, we could book, SSR, OKW, AKL (KV), BW, VGF, BR, CCV, BLT -- today, no BWV. Narrowed it down to SSR (Preferred) or BLT (Tower). To do this, we will need to borrow 2021 March UY points (will not have to borrow more than 50%, so that's ok). Our current reservation uses our 2019 banked plus a small number of our 2020UY. The remaining of our 2020UY I already banked to make our 2021 reservations. So we're in a borrowing situation now.

With the limited park hours -- we figure we're staying in the park, and with the masks, we'll take things pretty slow. So no mid-day returning back to the resort. On the days we get AK or MK, we'll eat dinner at the resort in the room or at a sit-down. So which one????
SSR
pro - near DS -- is that enough of a draw? More restaurant choices in walking distance
pro - Not as many more points needed to borrow.
pro - More spreadout (usually would be a con...) -- able to social distance better, maybe better pool situation because of it?
Is the parking situation better? Parking is closer to the building? (we're driving, but we prefer to take Disney transportation)
Con - if I don't get a renovated room, we'll be disappointed.
Con - Taking the bus seems arduous at SSR (I don't really want to drive to the park if the busses are running)
Con - Internal food choices are limited.
Con - this is my own psychology -- I could book SSR any time under normal circumstance. This seems like this unique oppty to book practically anything else (as said, BWV pops up as full availability now and again...), why do this now?

BLT
Pro - walk to MK. Presumably monorail to EPCOT still. Kids LOVE that.
Pro - Lake view. *maybe* Electrical water parade will still happen??? I *think* I will feel more Disney resort there than SSR.
Pro - potential access to the other resorts on the monorail line (expanded food choices)
Con - who knows if there will be expanded food choices? And we have a car, so we can always drive some where like DS or outside if we wanted.
Con - about 50 points more than SSR to do this (and SSR is already 50 more points than our current reservation). We are doing the 2BR for our peace of mind with the kids.
Con - alot of the benefits of being at BLT won't be there (not doing the easy mid-day break, no fireworks from the top) -- so is it worth it?

(we ruled out AKL because of the uncertainty with Jambo House weirdness and potential implications and it seems more isolated; GV - too many points to do this; BWV - unsure if the buskers will be there which is our draw, limited food options there; CCV and BRV - seems more isolated, will there be enough to occupy them?)
Am I missing an angle? Did I even post this in the right forum? My mind is racked with indecision and if I don't choose soon I'm worried we'll lose the BLT 2BR choice and then I don't have a choice! Should I be reconsidering CCV (seems harder to get normally) or jump on BWV if that shows full availability again? We do NOT switch resorts...

It’s funny, as I began to read your post my thoughts went SSR and BLT before I even read the whole post. I am a mother of 3 sons, but they are all men now (20, 22, and 26)....it goes fast!!! We own at BLT.

My first thoughts were BLT...Monorail Resort ...walk to MK etc.
It would be an even better choice if CR was open. (3 Pools, CR food etc) But you do have all the monorail resorts and if boats are running you have FTW and VWL.

But with SSR you have DS, with so many options. Plus, bike riding, basketball etc and different pools.

I wish you all the best with your decision. But most importantly a happy, healthy, safe and fun trip with your family.👍🏻😉

It will be hot or raining, so I vote BLT where you can walk to dining, arcade and shopping without getting wet. Plus if you drive, MK is the toughest park to commute to so staying at BLT eliminates that hassle. I prefer the MK area over the DS area though so I am biased.

If the Contemporary food establishments are not open, BLT has only the pool bar and possibly TOWL, both have limited hours. Food choices at BLT could be non existent. It seems like you want BWV. Just remember that all 2 bedrooms are lockoffs. My personal opinion, there is not sit down counter service at BWV. This is a big negative, especially in the hot summer months. While SSR may have limited choices on property, DS is a short boat ride away and there are unlimited choices there.

If the Contemporary food establishments are not open, BLT has only the pool bar and possibly TOWL, both have limited hours. Food choices at BLT could be non existent. It seems like you want BWV. Just remember that all 2 bedrooms are lockoffs. My personal opinion, there is not sit down counter service at BWV. This is a big negative, especially in the hot summer months. While SSR may have limited choices on property, DS is a short boat ride away and there are unlimited choices there.
It looks like The Wave and Contempo Cafe will be open based on the recall of employees.

Thanks all! We end up switching this morning to BLT 2br. Thinking about the weather and it seems like CR common areas will still be somewhat open helped. And DH reasoned we could always go to DS if we want.

it also looked like we took one of the last dedicated as one of the days is now unavailable. So yay!

Thanks all! We end up switching this morning to BLT 2br. Thinking about the weather and it seems like CR common areas will still be somewhat open helped. And DH reasoned we could always go to DS if we want.

it also looked like we took one of the last dedicated as one of the days is now unavailable. So yay!

I like your choice. I saw the post indicating that pools and CR food would be open, making BLT a great choice. The BLT/CR is a nice complex with a lot of space to spread out. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter