Wow, the food is bad at Discovery Cove

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
We loved our day at DC, (May 19, 2019) - what a great experience.

But boy is the food bad. We got in a long line for breakfast and I was immediately put off by the experience and presentation. I'm not there for the food, granted, but a place that touts itself as some kind of exclusive, first-class experience should try to focus on that in all areas, especially given that they use the all-inclusiveness as a selling point.

This was Comfort Inn-level fare, here. The pastries were thawed, bland Sysco-like products. The eggs were so runny I actually took a picture of them because I was stunned they would serve them in that state.

Lunch was marginally better. The chicken and beef both had this over-processed quality to them that made them reminiscent of the product they were supposed to be, but definitely not that item itself. My pulled pork was lacking barbecue sauce.

The pina colada cupcake and carrot cake were great! And...that's all I got.

The snacks are boring soft pretzels that almost immediately get hard under a heat lamp and bags of Lays potato chips and rice krispie treats. The alcohol that's included in the price is...well, alcohol you would expect to be thrown in for free.

Don't get me wrong - it's still a great day. Just adjust your expectations for the food.

I agree.
I was disappointed when we went that the food quality from SW made its way to DC.

If it weren't for BOGO dining deals we wouldn't eat at SW.

The food at both is just "Meh"

It used to be good and I mean WAY back in the day it was so good. The last 3 times we have been the food was almost inedible. It was so bad, the only things that were eaten were the desserts. Plus the lines were so long for food and it was never that way. I think they let a lot more people in than they used to.
I still have a great day at DC but the food situation gets worse and worse each time we visit.

I went twice in Oct, and I didn't have any issues with the food

I agree the food is underwhelming. Hopefully they hear from enough people and see enough of these criticisms that they change. Disney goes bad every decade or so and then beefs up their quality. Hopefully Discovery Cove will too.

We were there in March and this was not our experience. To each their own, I guess.

It used to be good and I mean WAY back in the day it was so good. The last 3 times we have been the food was almost inedible. It was so bad, the only things that were eaten were the desserts. Plus the lines were so long for food and it was never that way. I think they let a lot more people in than they used to.
I still have a great day at DC but the food situation gets worse and worse each time we visit.
I totally agree with this!! We have been 6 times with our sw annual pass discount. The last time was 2 years ago on xmas day. The food was not good. The last 2 visits we had all said the same thing. I have a group that wants to go back there in March. This just sealed why I wont return. It's too bad it was a favourite of ours.

I went in 2001 when they first opened and it was very good. When we went back in 2015 it was pretty bad. I threw away more than I ate. I'd go again but yeah, adjust your expectations.

Lol! I was checking this board for info about aquatica and was sad to see this. We were at sea world today and man the food was bad. We don’t really go to theme parks for food bc my kids stick to “kid food” but this was still pretty bad. Portions are small too compared to Disney. We got burgers at lunch and I made the mistake of assuming the pickle I saw was an accompaniment. I grabbed two plates (it was a pickle per plate sliced in half) for the total of $8. I said omg. I do not want that. I could get a whole other kids meal for less than that. And she said ok and ditched it. I died a little at the waste but no way was I paying $8 for two tiny pickles.

I agree. We have never have never had bad food on any of our 7 visits.

6 visits over 8 years, and while it's not quite "bad" but the quality is a bit down on the more recent trips compared to what it used to be. It's a bit less "chain restaurant" level and closer to "cafeteria."

It doesn't ruin the day or anything but there's various ways it just feels like they're scrimping pennies over the last 5-6 years. I'm prepared to have fast-food disappointment at SeaWorld & Aquatica and other parks, but it's disappointing when DC used to be a cut above.

We went at the end of May and had a great time. The food was as expected. I mean the place is absolutely magical. The food meh. It wasn’t bad but it was as expected. The snacks were fine. They were normal snacks nothing wrong with them. It was by far one of the most pleasant days we’ve had. I guess we didn’t go for the food. I wouldn’t let the food Dissuade me from not going. Most of Disney’s food is subpar also.

We went at the end of May and had a great time. The food was as expected. I mean the place is absolutely magical. The food meh. It wasn’t bad but it was as expected. The snacks were fine. They were normal snacks nothing wrong with them. It was by far one of the most pleasant days we’ve had. I guess we didn’t go for the food. I wouldn’t let the food Dissuade me from not going. Most of Disney’s food is subpar also.

Totally agree the day is still magical and worth it! I think you may be going to the wrong places at Disney though... even the “cheaper” stuff in the parks can be imaginative, tasty, and well done (thinking Woody’s Lunch Box, not Casey’s Corner).

Totally agree the day is still magical and worth it! I think you may be going to the wrong places at Disney though... even the “cheaper” stuff in the parks can be imaginative, tasty, and well done (thinking Woody’s Lunch Box, not Casey’s Corner).
Don’t get me wrong I’ve had tons of great food at Disney but a lot of meh food also. I love the festival foods but resort foods are kinda blah. Haven’t been to woodys yet. Plan on going this fall. Disney spring food is great also. My kids don’t like to take time to go there to eat. They want to ride the rides. I mean really its like we pay all this money to be in the parks or something. :P

Hi we just got back from DC and thought the food was great! They had some of the best cooked steak I have had. The only thing I didn't like was they don't bake the cookies fresh anymore. I could tell they were probably bought and just heated. The pretzels were still good.

We can't wait to go a third time!!

Hi we just got back from DC and thought the food was great! They had some of the best cooked steak I have had. The only thing I didn't like was they don't bake the cookies fresh anymore. I could tell they were probably bought and just heated. The pretzels were still good.

We can't wait to go a third time!!
They didn’t have the cookies when we went. We are excited to go back also. It had been added to our must do list now.

So far, the only place we have actually thrown away food (for quality reasons) has been at Disney. The flatbreads we had at Pinnochios several years ago during an MNSSHP were completely inedible. That meal has become our benchmark for comparison of "bad" food on our orlando vacations.

Discovery Cove's food, in comparison, is absolutely gourmet!! :rolleyes: At least it was palatable, even if not outstanding.

6 visits over 8 years, and while it's not quite "bad" but the quality is a bit down on the more recent trips compared to what it used to be. It's a bit less "chain restaurant" level and closer to "cafeteria."

It doesn't ruin the day or anything but there's various ways it just feels like they're scrimping pennies over the last 5-6 years. I'm prepared to have fast-food disappointment at SeaWorld & Aquatica and other parks, but it's disappointing when DC used to be a cut above.
I would agree with this. I would definitely not say that the food is bad, it's just basic slightly-low-quality cafeteria-type food.

I appreciate that it's all included so it's one less think to worry about, but it's neither a draw to the park or a discouragement from going to the park.

In other words, you don't pay all that money for DC because you're hungry.

Just there Monday .....

We found the food perfectly acceptable .. not the brunch at the Ritz but better than McDonald's

decent variety and have as much as you'd care to ...... if you didn't like the 'snack' at the snack /drink stations there's nothing stopping you from returning to the lunch line up til it closed at 3:30. Lunch choices: a marinaded 'steak', jerk chicken, salmon each with a starch and veggies; pulled pork sandwich, cheese burger each with fries; veggie wrap, cold cut wrap, various salads and desserts. Kids choices pasta and meat balls, hot dog/fries, chicken finger/fries (saw plenty of adults taking kids choices ... no problem), and fruit. Drink stations have Coke products and some 'frozen' choices like a virgin pina colada. We stuck to non-acl given the heat of the day and need to stay hydrated.

p.s. this was my first return in 15 years ..... the food is better than I remember from the first time.

Last edited:
There last week.. food was ok. Get what some are saying about cafeteria level, definitely not something to get excited about. But it was edible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!